What Delights do you Leave to Welcome Your Guests?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
bessie

Post by bessie »

On seems I must up my game.
I only have
40 pack tea bags
Small jar of good coffee.
Box sugar lumps.
2 pints of semi and 2 pints full fat milk.
All kitchen cleaning washing up liquid .
Foil.
Loo rolls 4 of.
Bubble bath full size
Soap full size.
Home made cake. Usually fruitloaf or Victoria sponge with home made jam.
I did get asked early on to fill the cupboards with all sorts but are we not letting self catering.
No wine I don't drink and would not have a clue which to buy.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

On seems I must up my game.
I'm not sure! As I say, I don't do a welcome pack and get many more bookings than our neighbour up the street who does. It is a nice surprise when you get there, but is it really a deal breaker in coming back if the property was suitable in every other way? My repeat bookers obviously don't mind.

My main guest base are dog owners, as I accept several I find most are just happy to have somewhere that accepts them and their "furbabies" :roll: and no, I'm not going to leave a welcome dog treat for them!

I agree Greenbarn, wine is too precious a commodity to give away!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

bessie wrote:On seems I must up my game.
I don't think so. Our "Welcome Tray" is what the name suggests - a few "essentials" to save immediate unpacking ie some tea bags (not many), coffee (not much), milk and sugar and one or two local goodies - your home made cake sounds a nice touch but we've got three properties which can mean maybe five changeovers in a week so we can't manage home made! (Do you keep your own chickens? If so some "properly fresh" eggs would be a nice touch - that's something I'd appreciate way beyond their cost.)

I don't see mundanities/luxuries as part of a Welcome Tray/Pack (eg salt&pepper, olive oil, loo roll, kitchen roll, foil, toiletries, bathrobes, slippers, etc etc depending on market and budget) but we do make sure people know what they're going to find provided and therefore don't need to bring for their arrival.

Creating and meeting expectations - the secret to keeping guests happy. :wink:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

A lovely welcome pack, lovely as it may be, will neither influence the success of my holiday, induce me to return or indeed whether I would recommend a property to others. There are so many differing factors in what makes a holiday home successful, but it is usually more mundane issues like comfortable beds, curtains/blinds that actually cut out the light, the ability to control the temperature whether hot or cold, cleanliness level and more besides.

No-one reading this should think they need to up their game. I also have many returning guests tell me it's just not a key issue within their holiday.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

My primary reason for providing a welcome pack is that mine is a rural property and often guests coming from the airport don't stop for groceries en route. It's quite nice to know that you can put together a light meal and indulge in a few glasses of vino on your first night without having to drive off to the village shop before it closes. With what's left for guests at least they can make a cheese omelette sandwich! :P
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I have to make 4 cakes a week sometimes. I've sort of made my own bed as guests often comment on Trip Advisor about them so I'm obliged to continue. Fortunately the recipe is really easy, it is a local Breton one, you bung all the ingredients in the bowl, stir and then bake. I don't think I'd ever win Bake Off as it is far too simple but lots of guests ask for the recipe - I don't think they are all just being polite!
COYS

Post by COYS »

Nemo wrote:A lovely welcome pack, lovely as it may be, will neither influence the success of my holiday, induce me to return or indeed whether I would recommend a property to others. There are so many differing factors in what makes a holiday home successful, but it is usually more mundane issues like comfortable beds, curtains/blinds that actually cut out the light, the ability to control the temperature whether hot or cold, cleanliness level and more besides.

No-one reading this should think they need to up their game. I also have many returning guests tell me it's just not a key issue within their holiday.
Absolutely spot on Nemo, the fundamentals are far more important than the peripherals. A few basics, a bite to eat & drink are more than enough & well appreciated but does anybody really travel without personal toiletries? Some of those lists - are they really for self catering, 'luxury' or otherwise?
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
gh

Post by gh »

Casscat wrote:My primary reason for providing a welcome pack is that mine is a rural property and often guests coming from the airport don't stop for groceries en route. It's quite nice to know that you can put together a light meal and indulge in a few glasses of vino on your first night without having to drive off to the village shop before it closes. With what's left for guests at least they can make a cheese omelette sandwich! :P
+1

Mainly our guests drive to us and can be quite late arriving after supermarkets are closed, don't want to waste time or get lost stopping on route. I don't think our welcome pack is OTT €15 compared to our rates it's a tiny % but so well received. Quite a lot of rural France isn't like the 24/7 UK
I quite like that, sorry thread creep. :)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I have to say I am pleased when I receive something from the owner as it makes me think they are thinking of their guests. If I had a homemade cake LV I would be in heaven.....love cake with a cuppa!

We arrived somewhere very late at night (only time we could get a ferry which pee'd us off cos we list a whole day) to a roaring fire and a lovely welcome note from the owner telling us there was a lasagne in the fridge for us and items to make a salad.
I will never forget that.
But then I appreciate it when people go the extra mile....but I know most don't.

I also feel a tad let down when I arrive somewhere and there is nothing over and above the basics. That happens more often than not.

Mousie
x
p.s. LV I'm sure when they make your cake at home it reminds them of their holiday at your place. So you've provided a happy memory.
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Isy

Post by Isy »

Did somebody mention "homemade cake"???? Sorry it's my weakness.

As my irish hubby says "I don't curse, I don't smoke, I don't drink... oh f**ck it, I left my fags in the pub"lol

Isy
putting napkin around her neck and ready to tuck in a slice
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger !
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Isy wrote:Did somebody mention "homemade cake"???? Sorry it's my weakness.

As my irish hubby says "I don't curse, I don't smoke, I don't drink... oh f**ck it, I left my fags in the pub"lol

Isy
putting napkin around her neck and ready to tuck in a slice
Just made my gluten free chocolate brownies (the ones with sweet potato and dates) - want a slice, Isy?
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

PW in Polemi wrote: Just made my gluten free chocolate brownies (the ones with sweet potato and dates) - want a slice, Isy?
Oh gosh, I'm gluten free (not through choice!) and this is drawing me to your abode!
Isy

Post by Isy »

[/quote]
Just made my gluten free chocolate brownies (the ones with sweet potato and dates) - want a slice, Isy?[/quote]

You're a sweetie PW in Polemi, thank you, I d love one!!! Chocolate, yummmmmmm!!
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger !
half pint

Post by half pint »

We leave coffee tea milk sugar wine (one red one white), homemade welsh cakes and a sparkling juice drink and popping candy, if there are children in the booking, dog treats for dogs. One loo roll on the holder and 3 in the under sink cupboard in each bathroom, shower/bath gel, all cleaning stuff j clothes, sponges bathroom cleaner, bleach in the bathrooms. Kitchen cleaner washing up liquid clothes etc under the sink. Olive oil veg oil tomato/ brown/mayonnaise sauce, salt /pepper / sweeteners.
Cling film foil freezer bags ice cube bags, bin bags, black bags, recycling bags, softener and liquid for the washer/dryer.
I must admit that a lot of the cleaning stuff is left in the hope that if it is there then the guests will use it some do some don,t.
I have the most mention of the welsh cakes in the guest book about how much they are liked, closely followed by the dog treats.
Although many rave about the local beer which is produced just down the road so maybe have to think about changing the wine for beer or a mixture of both but not sure what colour wine is best to leave or light or dark beer. Help!
JaneV

Post by JaneV »

I'm very fortunate that our cleaners have an arrangement with a local baker and bring along a freshly baked cake/biscuits/dog treats when they do the changeover.

Each booking receives a freshly baked cake and if they have dogs then they receive home made liver treats. These go down very well and are often mentioned in reviews. If guests are staying for at least a week, I will include home-made biscuits as well. If they clean earlier than the booking, they will pop back in on the day to leave these items.

As well as this they will find all the essentials they could wish for, including refillable toiletries, tea, Nespresso capsules, sugar and milk. I always leave a generous supply of everything as I take a lot of weekend/short breaks with the philosophy that guests can travel light and won't want to spend any precious time buying such things when they are there. Many weekenders eat out a lot so this saves them having to do a mundane shop for the essentials.

I also leave a full basket of logs and kindling all year round.