Installing a pool - but not for gite guests

For anything to do with the garden and pool
lasourcetranquille

Installing a pool - but not for gite guests

Post by lasourcetranquille »

OH and I are thinking of installing a pool in our garden, which is also where our gite is located. Trouble is, we don't really want the hassle of the regs for allowing gite guests to use it - nor the disturbance they might cause as the pool would be outside our kitchen window.

Does anyone else have a pool in their garden that is not available to their co-located gite guests? We obviously wouldn't advertise the gite with a pool but do you think it'd annoy the guests on a hot day seeing it but not being able to use it? What would you think?

TIA
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

Pretty sure it would miff guests if they could see a pool on your property but not have use of it.

We have the opposite problem - having had a pool for 10 years. The maintenance and hassle mean we would get rid if we could, but it's one of our big selling points.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I think your guests will suffer from chronic pool envy, but as you are not advertising the gite with use of pool there is not much they can do about it. Can the view of the pool be screened from the gite? What the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't covet plus I figure your enjoyment of the pool will be enhanced by being away from prying eyes.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Hmm - yes, I too think they'd be miffed, if they could see it - and it sounds as though it would be visible from the gite.

I'm not sure it would pacify them to know that they've booked a property that doesn't have a pool if they then have to look at your s when they arrive. I don't even like pools but I think my nose would be a bit put out. Sorry.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Tricky one...if you don't advertise it fair enough, but even so, if a family with kids arrive and the kids see the pool it might make for a 'difficult' holiday for the parents explaining why they can't use it!
I understand about the regulations, but a pool alarm is only around 300€ and you can always restrict the hours in which the pool is used. Plus you can up your gite price by at least 30%!
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

If I was a guest I would be a bit miffed if I could see it but not use it. Is it visible from the gite? Would you use it yourselves with guests there?

You might get people asking if they can use it, then you'd have to say no.
Marks

Post by Marks »

I'm in the miffed camp as well. I rented an apartment once that had a whacking great wind out canopy for the large balcony. There was no winding handle for it. I contacted the owner to ask where it was and was told it's not advertised and was for her use when she stayed there. We had to use a 2 metre parasol in an apartment for 6 people :shock:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
nealh

Post by nealh »

I am with Neat and Picky - having just spent an hour cleaning the pool this morning with another hour this evening needed to keep the dreaded 'tide' mark at bay, I would get rid of the thing if I could. But we would get less interest from prospective visitors as we are inland rather than being coastal and visitors do use it every day.

With regard to the specific question I think I would be a little miffed too especially if it was visible; less so if it wasn't.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I'm in the miffed camp too - and if I could actually sit, swelter and SEE you lolling in that lovely cool water ..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Nealh - have you tried BorderChoice for a new border on your existing liner? The stuff the new borders are made from is brilliant at repelling all that goes to make that very unlovely scum line, including sunlotion. And you can choose from a wide variety of designs to freshen up your pool. (No, I'm not on commission, nor related to/friends with any of the owners - just a happy customer with 2 pool borders by them :D )
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I think you need to ask yourself could you really, really cope with the weekly conversation re guests pleading with you to use the pool, how good they will be etc etc and you having to say no and explain why not????

I think I would probably give in at some point ( most likely sooner than later) and then it would be downhill from there, so probably best to allow them in the first place and put your prices up accordingly.

(You could do what is suggested and limit the availability)
nealh

Post by nealh »

PW - we have recently had a new liner installed... the old one had done sterling service but was past it's sell by date. This is why I am trying to keep the waterline looking sweet although I suspect it will be a bit like keeping a new car clean and tidy when you first get it, then gradually you relax and the weekly clean becomes every 10 days, 14 days, monthly etc etc.

Before we went for the replacement liner option we did investigate the Borderchoice option so know the type of thing you mean.
annedab

Post by annedab »

We have just fitted a new border round our pool - amazing difference. Still have to clean it regularly, but minimal effort needed to do this. Sorry for the slight thread creep..........
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

What is the weather like where you are? If in the 30's for most of the summer then that would be trickier....but for me, as it was advertised without a pool and priced accordingly I would not expect to use it, and I wouldn't be miffed because if i had wanted a pool I would have booked a property with one.

Certainly though I would do 2 things if me; 1. Screen it well from prying 'guest'eyes and 2. Make it on the small side so it didn't look large enough for a communal pool.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
lasourcetranquille

Post by lasourcetranquille »

OK, so I'm getting a clear message I think! You've all taken the wife's side!

So, the next question would be; if we had a pool that we shared with gite guests how would restricting the usage work? Would it restrict our usage too ie they have it from 2-5, we have the rest of the time? Or do you say we can use any time but they can share it from 2-5? What do you do at 5.01, ring a bell and chuck them out?

La Vache - your size of pool and "lid" would be perfect; could I ask what sort of ball park figure did installation cost? PM if you'd rather...
mi casa

Post by mi casa »

We fitted a border from Border Choice (recommendation from PW) and it makes such a difference. Still gets marked from the dreaded sun creams but cleans easily so our Manager tells us. Great choice of borders to choose from and very helpful people to deal with. Agree that maybe a screen would be a good idea because children being children would I think be looking to use it and I have to say I would find it hard to say no.
Would love to retire but can't so will have to keep doing the lottery!