Submersible Pumps for rainwater recycling

For anything to do with the garden and pool
peyre blanque

Submersible Pumps for rainwater recycling

Post by peyre blanque »

Does anyone have experience of pressure activated submersible pumps?
We have one which sits at the bottom of the rainwater reservoir which has the infuriating habit of deciding not to work now and again on a seemingly random basis (this is the second one in two years - the first replaced as it showed the same problem).
This type of pump works on demand so only switches 'on' when the pressure in the outlet pipe drops - that is, when the computer tells the valve to open as its time to water the garden.
When all is well you can tell because the outlet pipe is pressurised and rigid, but when it decides not to play you can tell its not working because the pipe is flaccid.
In early June I found it not working, so heaved the pump up out of the reservoir and tried to figure out what was wrong. I failed, but left it out of the water for 3/4 days (just to teach it a lesson), When I dropped it back in the water again it worked beautifully....until two weeks ago. We switched to using mains water (ouch!). Yesterday it decided to work again.....
Anyone any ideas - or maybe know of a pump repair place in the Aude?

Ross
teapot

Post by teapot »

Nothing worse than a flaccid pipe I imagine, not that I would know :lol:
I would think there is a slight leak of the sensing chamber so losing the prime over time. Just supposition of course whilst sitting at the PC. Worryingly it's your second so could be a design fault.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
peyre blanque

Post by peyre blanque »

Hi Teapot

Well by the look of the replies (or lack of them) there's not much of a pool (sorry 'bout the pun) of knowlege amongst LMHers on submersible pumps. I'll just have to try and find a pump repair place and see what they can do,
[quote="teapot"]Nothing worse than a flaccid pipe I imagine, not that I would know :lol:

You can get pills to help this sort of problem you know. I suppose you just chuck one in the underground tank and see if it solves the problem.

Ross