Problems with people receiving attachments

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
roxytoo

Problems with people receiving attachments

Post by roxytoo »

On receipt of balance I send an email explaining everything and say I have attached directions for them. Last year I had quite a few people at the last min say they had not received any info on keyholders number etc but I always could see that I had sent it. This year is driving me mad as a lot of people are saying they have not received anything (and are due to arrive tomorrow or the next day)

I don't use ipads or tablets but notice most of them saying they have not received it are using one, is it a limitation of using those and they really can't see attachments?
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I think it's just that they're easier to miss. I send all my joining instructions as a narrative email for guests to print off. Also emails with attachments are more likely to end up in the junk folder than narrative emails.
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

This year I'm trying Sidekick by Hubspot which enables me to see if/when anyone opens my emails and whether they click on links. It's amazing how many times some people return to the same email!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

What type of attachments? Some companies remove various types of attachments for security reasons and many people do their holiday organising online at work.

Is it possible to put them online or use a cloud service so that you only have to send a link?
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I think I'm going to have to do that, had another 2 today. They are word docs, I can see they have read the email, I say theres an attachment and still they don't see it!!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I had this roxy with the guests due out this weekend. She said I hadn't sent directions etc but I had. She found them on her laptop. She said it wasn't showing on her phone / ipad....so I think there is a problem.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

roxytoo wrote:I think I'm going to have to do that, had another 2 today. They are word docs, I can see they have read the email, I say theres an attachment and still they don't see it!!
If you sent me a Word doc, I would open it either. Sorry too risky.

Many people won't even have the ability to read a Word document so if their PC has no program for it, they may not be fully aware of the attachment present.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

sorry I meant docx
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

roxytoo wrote:sorry I meant docx
Even worse. That requires a newer version of MS Word, so even less chance of people having the software to read it.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

There's a problem with sending word docs? That's a first for me. Been sending them out for 11 years and never had a problem. What should be sent?

Perplexed Mousie
x
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Mouse wrote:There's a problem with sending word docs? That's a first for me. Been sending them out for 11 years and never had a problem. What should be sent?

Perplexed Mousie
x
PDF is far more widely supported than an MS Word format. If you look online, 99% of downloadable documents are in PDF format because they can be read on any device using a free reader or even a web browser plugin.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I send word documents too and rarely have a problem. Probably about 4 people in 9 years have said they couldn't find it. Should they be pdfs if more people are using ipads?

(edited to say posted the same time as Kev who has answered my question)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

PDF. What a faff. I'd have to convert my word doc everytime I uodated it...that is sometimes 3 times per guest (I update the statement at each payment stage).

Oh well...I will see how it goes and switch to PDF if it starts to be more of an issue.

Mouse
x
Isy

Post by Isy »

When the Breakage deposit was paid I used to send a powerpoint presentation with pictures, directions and all pratical details (keysafes....). I realised quickly that PDF was far better (guest did not have trouble to open the document) and easier to use. I use the website below. It's free, and no need to register, you just select your file and convert in a few seconds. I ve just tried it for a word document and it works like a charm so you can give it a try.

http://www.en.conv2pdf.com/
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger !
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Rather than explaining it, here's an article which explains most of the reasoning behind my statements, plucked at random from the internet:

http://en.nothingisreal.com/wiki/Please ... _documents

Making a PDF is as simple as Save As with the recent versions of MS Word. There is no faff.