Lost property woes

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

B&B netherlands wrote:don't ask me! recent guest left a loader, i found it and put it aside, as i was too busy to look up his contact info and had many othr problems to deal with. guest phoned a week later - could i mail it please...?

i did pronto, same day.

had to buy one of these protective envelopes and spent 3 euros on postage.

a simple 'thank you' would have been nice...?

next time, indeed, i will say 'sorry i did not find it.'

but a SHIRT???

reminds me of the time i took an american female friend to see sth of the netherlands. she left a skirt from a thrift shop in the hotel room. 'can you phone please?'

hotel clerk: 'yes we found it. if you send us the mail costs, we will return it...'

american friend: 'WHAT? it is just an old rag i bought for 1 dollar! is this SERVICE???'

she had to pay more of course than the 1 dollar...

like you all probably, i usually only find dirty underwear, heavily used hankies, smelly socks... or used condoms.

at the most unlikely places - is there a special thread for this on LMH...?
Yes we have had the last little item - it was still full. Luckily I don't usually meet my guests so I didn't have a face to go with it!

:shock:
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I've posted many things to many people over the years and always done it within a week of their departure and deducted 'postage and packing' (basically, the cost and my time for doing it) from their damages deposit.

One guest left The Bag. The bag which had the tickets, the passports, the money, the credit cards, the clean nappies, the book to read on the journey, the house keys etc. etc. That was a bl**dy nightmare to sort out: changing the local currency to sterling and returning it, cutting up cards and posting them back as proof with all the other stuff.

But, I once worked for a very senior executive in a very big firm who earned a very fat salary and I had to 'phone the hotel he'd stayed in and ask them to retrieve a coathanger from a room he'd stayed in and then sent the chauffeur there to get it. "Is it a 'special' coathanger? I asked. No, it wasn't but he had a coathanger for every shirt, jacket and pair of trousers and now he was one short !!! FFS was not a phrase I knew then but I would have used it if I'd known about it.
alcooper

lost property woes

Post by alcooper »

we once had guests who left all their luggage behind - they were a big family in 2 cars - wife had put the cases at the top of the stairs for husband to bring down, husband thought wife had put them in her car - so off they went. We only had their home phone number so they didn't find out until 5 hours and 300 miles later.
tavi

Re: lost property woes

Post by tavi »

alcooper wrote:we once had guests who left all their luggage behind - they were a big family in 2 cars - wife had put the cases at the top of the stairs for husband to bring down, husband thought wife had put them in her car - so off they went. We only had their home phone number so they didn't find out until 5 hours and 300 miles later.

:lol: :lol: Now that must have cost a lot in postage! :lol: :lol:
alcooper

lost property woes

Post by alcooper »

they sent a courier firm to collect it all - I've no idea what it cost - would probably have been cheaper to drive back and pick it up!
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

are they still married...? ;-)

eh... 'we' once forgot almost all our weekend luggage too... at the house of my parents in law... i was taking care of the baby (3 months old) and carried him plus the huge nappy bag to the car. rest of our bags were waiting at the door... hubby didn't even notice, i guess...?

:-D
jenboyle1959

Post by jenboyle1959 »

I have had so many things left in my flats- dog jackets, sunglasses( God knows why you'd be bringing them on holiday in Scotland this year! ), child's "favourite DVD" , etc etc.
I try and return them in a timely fashion, but it requires packaging, a trip to my local PO with a wait in a very long queue, and I'm actually getting sick of it. Nine times out of ten, they "forget" to send me the postage to cover it, and as I don't take a damage deposit , I'm left out of pocket.
Your guest should be ashamed of herself- she left it, why are you getting stick from her for not returning it to her time schedule?? And the threat of a bad review is laughable!

I'm seriously thinking of putting something in my T&C to say if property is left in the flat, then they will have to arrange to pick it up themselves next time they're on the island.