Compensation for missing Dishwasher

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Washing up for 10 is a major undertaking - unless you eat a lot of meals out. :lol: I think I'd have been inclined to offer them a meal out one evening, or rather enough money towards a meal. That's one meal less of washing up and a practical gesture that's of use. Flowers are nice, and certainly better than nothing at all, but don't really compensate for the loss. I suspect if I was booking a villa for 10 then a dishwasher would have been a must have on my wish list.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Nemo wrote:Washing up for 10 is a major undertaking - unless you eat a lot of meals out. :lol: I think I'd have been inclined to offer them a meal out one evening, or rather enough money towards a meal. That's one meal less of washing up and a practical gesture that's of use. Flowers are nice, and certainly better than nothing at all, but don't really compensate for the loss. I suspect if I was booking a villa for 10 then a dishwasher would have been a must have on my wish list.
I agree. Flowers in this instance don't cut it. Wine (plural) for next part of holiday or money to have a meal out - for all 10! I would not want to wash up for 10 on holiday. We are no where near the £2,200 per week mark but when our DW broke down we got a new one in straight away even though it took all our profit for that week.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Another way to tackle this issue is to pay someone to do the dishes. I did this in a place sleeping 10. I got a cleaner in to do dishes etc. every day it was out of action.
I also do this at our place...as enevitably we only usually get told on departure that there's an issue, and then can't contact the tecnicos until Monday. So I offer to incoming guests that I will do all dishes and clean the kitchen.
No one has ever taken me up on that....and to be honest over the 11yrs we've rented no one has kicked up a fuss or asked/expected compensation.
It has happened at least 6 times. When the element goes it goes. Sometimes we are in the house, sometimes guests. Of course we do give them wine and treats as a sorry.

I think it all depends on the guest. I would say at least a third of our clients never use the dishwasher.
We sleep 8.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
jenboyle1959

Post by jenboyle1959 »

I'm with Nemo on this one- a voucher for a meal out, or money towards a meal out.
Although with ten people in the house, they could all do one lot of washing up each , and it wouldn't seem so much!! :D
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

We recently had a big family gathering here for a few days and as I was putting the dishwasher on for the third time on the first day I realised the importance of the machine.

I've never been a big fan of them before although I have one but when there are just a few of us here washing up isn't a chore. It definitely would have been for 10 people and deprives the lovely sitting chatting relaxing (drinking) time available.

If I were the guests I would appreciate a contribution towards a meal out though with 10 people that would be quite expensive (but they have paid a lot of money to be there).
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm surprised people think £220 each for a week in a 'sleeps 10' house is expensive?!

Mousie
x
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I was thinking that too mousy, that's just £30 a night.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

It would be cheaper to replace the dishwasher pronto than pay for dinner for 10 surely.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Mouse wrote:I'm surprised people think £220 each for a week in a 'sleeps 10' house is expensive?!

Mousie
x
It depends where it is or when it is, if it has a pool, if it is private...there are lots of things to take into account!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Just what I thought LV...so how can anyone make a judgement?
For example here it would be a dirt cheap price....In fact you wouldn't get anywhere in peak season for that for 10 people.

Also, regarding the replacement dishwasher suggestions; the price of dishwashers change dramatically depending on which country you're in.

Mousie
x
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

yes you're right it isn't expensive. I hadn't done the per person per night analysis. Probably explains why my profit margin is dropping :)
tavi

Post by tavi »

la vache! wrote:
Mouse wrote:I'm surprised people think £220 each for a week in a 'sleeps 10' house is expensive?!

Mousie
x
It depends where it is or when it is, if it has a pool, if it is private...there are lots of things to take into account!

It's not the most expensive house certainly but per head is not the only way to calculate...or indeed to measure the value/necessity of a dishwasher.

If it's three couples (and a handful of children) then each couple is paying £100 a night and they might well consider the cost of a new dishwasher is minimal compared to the inconvenience caused by not having one.

Still, maybe they don't care two hoots and the bunch of flowers has done the trick.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yes I was thinking the same tavi; having only had family holidays for so long, it wouldn't occur to me to do the per head or even per night calculation, I'd simply be looking at the overall cost to me! As a family of five, I'd be paying at least half and could even end up footing the full bill depending on others financial circumstances. Lots of unknowns as always to the behind scenes of the situation.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Replacing the dishwasher straight away would have been the best option, with the clarity of hindsight!
However, Joffan explained that it looked as though it would be repaired prior to the guests' arrival, so made the judgement at the time. Fair enough.

As turning the calendar back isn't a possibility, the issue now is what sort of gesture to make to show the guests some empathy with their inconvenience? A meal out would be nice, but for 10 people could be disproportionately costly (at least in the UK), but I also agree that a bunch of flowers might not cut it.

We once had a tree down across our access (not even our tree :evil: ) when we had two couples staying. The men set to and helped me with the chainsaw and hard work; we found out where they were having a meal locally and put £50 in the kitty to pay for drinks etc. So not a whole meal for 4, but a decent contribution. Possible idea?

As the guys seemed to enjoy the work, and knew what they were doing, I thought that £50 was perhaps a rather generous amount; in fact I'm thinking of organising similar "experiences of rural living" and charging for them....... (Ever wanted to have a go on a ride-on mower? Just £15 for an hour.......)
However, I don't think offering a "washing up experience" would work as an attraction.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I'm thinking of organising similar "experiences of rural living" and charging for them....... (Ever wanted to have a go on a ride-on mower? Just £15 for an hour.......)
I'll have to show my husband that idea. He is doing some groundworks for a new wall and the 2 teenage boys staying have been pestering him for 'a go' on his wobbly little digger. He could make some dosh.

Not sure how I would account for that in the books though suitably enough for the valuation agency office! :D