Fake USB sticks flooding eBay

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
kevsboredagain

Fake USB sticks flooding eBay

Post by kevsboredagain »

If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.

I was after a 128BG drive and found one at a huge discount - about £8. Having not bought a USB drive for a few years, I assumed it was because it was the old USB 2.0 format but that was fine for my MP3s in the car. Windows reported it as 128GB but when you write your data, it goes no where. No errors are reported.

It has taken nearly 48 hours to run a diagnostic tool on the device to show it's fake. It only has 16GB of memory internally.

When you look on eBay, there are 1000s of these things from multiple sellers, many in the UK. Be warned!!
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the warning. I was at a UK car boot sale today and there was a stall selling 128gb and 256GB sticks for less than £10. I thought too good to be true so did not buy one, reinforced by your comments.

You should also be very careful buying any second hand media device, in particular a USB stick as they could well have malware/ key logging software on them.