Some reflections as a rental guest and rental owner

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
goosie

Some reflections as a rental guest and rental owner

Post by goosie »

We (extended family totalling 18 for one week and just four of us a second) have just spent the last two weeks in two separate holiday homes as renters. As a rental owner myself I'm always curious to see how others do it. These are my reflections from being the renter

1. Owners living on site have it tricky - both rentals had the owners on site and as a renter I felt uncomfortable that we were intruding in their personal space. The first owners were slightly Jekyll and Hyde some days they were über friendly and others we wondered whether we had offended them some how as they seemed standoffish. The second owner seemed lonely and kept wanting to chat. But I'm on holiday and want to spend time with my family not with some stranger to whom I've paid a lot of money!

2. How hard is it to provide at least one full roll of loo paper and some soap on arrival?

3. It is churlish to charge extra to use the washing machine

4. If the owner has a dog and cats that think it's ok to come into your house they should warn you before booking - it didn't matter to us but when we rent out we know some families specifically chose our house because we don't allow pets.

5. Recheck your directions to your house - I think as an owner we might assume too much local knowledge to help our renters find us.

6. House informations packs must include directions to the nearest hospital (in fact one house had no information book at all)

7. I forgive the past guests who complained our curtains were too thin. After seven years of re ting we finally sorted that this year and now I know why people were not too happy!

8. If check out is 10 o'clock don't start pacing outside with mop and brush at 9.15. It causes family arguments and leaves a sour taste to the end of a holiday.

Anyone else got any thoughts on their holidays elsewhere? :roll:
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

My pet hate is properties that sleep 8 but don't provide large enough cooking utensils to make a meal for everyone (I'm thinking of Centreparcs in particular)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Lots, but I'm afraid I get fussier every year. :wink: The too thin curtains is one of my biggest problems - even when I've asked about window coverings and been assured the shutters shut all the light out, one property was like sleeping in the daylight!

Comfortable beds, local information, enough crockery, sharp knives, an empty cupboard to store all the food instead of finding every cupboard full. I'm sure there's more, but I'm not perfect either. I seriously need to do a new welcome and information folder. I did my new website and then ran out of steam.... :lol:
JanB

Post by JanB »

Beds are the worst problem for me when staying in a holiday property and so many rental properties have the cheapest mattress possible. Also, cheap towels or dark coloured towels which have faded and seen better days are not good.

Meanness on loo rolls is unforgivable. Basic commodity, in my book.

It is interesting to see how others do it but I guess my over riding wish is to arrive to a beautifully clean and welcoming property. Not hard to do, but so often lacking, particularly in managed properties where the owner is not carrying out the changeover.
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

We live on site and the issue of how friendly to be is a delicate one. We seem to get it right as nearly all our reviews say so but our approach changes with each set of guests.

Some need more of your time for handholding than others, some want it for chatting, some don't want to see you at all but want to know you are there just in case and some come believing they are already your family based on the communication you've had leading upto the booking. I find the latter the most difficult as there are boundaries that i don't appreciate people crossing.

My pet hate is people who wander into our part of the garden even though it is plain to see it is private. I now tell people that this area is where we let our dog roam and tell them about the dog and the dos and don'ts. My current guests have ignored my instructions not to let him into the shared garden where the swings and zip-wire etc are as he gets very excited and barks continuously. 'Oh we love dogs' my boys love to play with dogs' we've got dogs. etc etc.

After 4 times of getting him back and telling them that he has a heart murmur and musn't get too excited, that we had an issue where one family did the same and he was jumping at the youngster on the zip-wire and caught his leg and made it bleed and that the constant barking is not good for our relations with our neighbours they seem to have got the message.

We certainly would not allow him access to any part of the property where guests are. He's our dog and our responsibility, not theirs.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
goosie

Post by goosie »

We are not on site so have never had the dilemma. There should be some polite way to signal as guests whether you want to chat or just be left alone! I wondered whether the owners saying something along the lines of we are usually available between x and y time if you have any questions which signals both you are available and happy to chat but that you don't need to?

I'm definitely going to recheck our curtains and mattresses when we get back.

And one last gripe - bin bags. We only leave one out and a spare set u dear the sink but as we're not on site I know some guests take the new bags each time. I'm going to be ensure we leave four or five out from now on.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

goosie wrote: And one last gripe - bin bags. We only leave one out and a spare set u dear the sink but as we're not on site I know some guests take the new bags each time. I'm going to be ensure we leave four or five out from now on.
I always make sure there is a roll of bin bags - with at least 10 minimum for a week. I certainly don't count them out!
I agree about the mattresses, I always get very good comments about mine (they weren't cheap!) and I have blackout curtains, blinds or shutters for all bedrooms, that is very important.
As an on site owner I try and be friendly but discreet and seem to succeed judging by reviews. My dogs are kept in unless requested otherwise (but only if accompanied by my children or me as my border collie is rather boisterous).
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

M leaves two bin bags in the cupboard, and one in the bin, as the whole roll was being removed by the guests at the end of each week. There was no way they could have used that many. I do moan that she takes them away though and doesn't leave them in the cave.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Mine is mainly bathrooms; no where to place toiletries or make up or hooks to put clothing . I reckon 80% of the places I visit fall foul of this.
Another is lack of basics in the kitchen. I really don't want to buy a full roll of foil/cling wrap or pack kitchen roll. And I hate meaness with things like washing up liquid, dishwashr supplies, loo roll, bin bags etc.

It's interesting to do a mental check list against peoples observations. We are guilty of your no.8 Goosie.....as we need to be in the garden before the sun is up proper otherwise it is way too hot (and it helps us to get people checked in early if we can get the garden done before check out). However we always WARN people we will be doing this and advise we won't go anywhere near the terrace (we do this with the house) so they have their privacy. We only want to work in the garden and clean outside items.

Being an onsite owner is a lesson in people management :lol: as barbersdrove says....some want to be your best friend and some want to only see you if there's a problem. Personally I like the latter and my husband the former so think we have all bases covered! :lol:

Mousie
x
p.s. we aren't visible to guests unless they hang over the roof terrace to see us 3 floors below (we have a completely seperate entrance), so that probably helps as it's like holidaying without on site owners, unless you need us.
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Circé

Post by Circé »

My problem as a manager for far away owners is that some owners are really mean about supplying loo rolls, bin bags, cling film etc etc. I think leaving ONE dishwasher tab and ONE washing machine tab just looks so petty - and I feel it makes ME look like a mean or careless manager when I'm just following client instructions.
JanB

Post by JanB »

Circé wrote:My problem as a manager for far away owners is that some owners are really mean about supplying loo rolls, bin bags, cling film etc etc. I think leaving ONE dishwasher tab and ONE washing machine tab just looks so petty - and I feel it makes ME look like a mean or careless manager when I'm just following client instructions.
I agree, Circe, and would rather something is not provided rather than a pathetically small amount being left, which, as a guest, tend to make think "how mean" rather than "how nice"

With things like dishwasher tablets, I used to always leave at least as many tablets as days they were staying. After all, having to buy a whole box of tabs half way through your stay is much more annoying than being faced with doing this at the start of your holiday! On the same basis, I always left a full bottle of washing up liquid, too.
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

For me the fact that an owner leaves a good amount of supplies, or a 'treat', which can be something as simple as tea making facilities and a packet of biscuits, shows that they appreciate my business.
It's small stuff in the grand theme of things but it just shows that you care enough to think about it.

I also have been in your situation circe.....in a house that charged €750 per person. It was like the owner thought of the guests as a necessary evil, unless it was a celebrity client and then it would be a different story.
I had to smile last week when I learned of the battle she was having with her latest celeb over things that happened during his stay.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

We are currently on the Amalfi coast for 5 weeks. Having booked nearly 12 months ago, I was slightly peeved to arrive and find somethings that had been agreed as part of the booking were not here - microwave, weekly clean. We had to contact the agent to point this out, hey presto microwave arrived and so does the weekly clean. I think there could be a missed comms with the agent and the owner or some penny pinching.

Also the owner lives onsite - just the other side of the hedge, which we knew. But we did not know we would need to walk thru her garden to get to our car. Not ideal - you sort of feel like you are intruding.

We got a decent welcome pack on arrival including loo paper etc., The kitchen is well stocked in some aspects - lots of pots and pans. However, the only roasting tray would hold a small chicken portion and the plates are strictly for sleeps 4 - so 1 for each person and 2 mugs. The only sharp knife is blunt. No real storage space for our own foods - so it all sits on top of the fridge.

I know our set up is not perfect but when I think of how much time and effort I put into checking numbers if cups, plates, glasses, sharp knives etc....

It's such a shame as the local shops sell loads of holiday stuff - I reckon one could address all of the above for €100.
Kaz D

Post by Kaz D »

I think we are more more picky since becoming holiday let owners. We spend the whole break discussing how we could do it better!
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

Kaz D wrote:I think we are more more picky since becoming holiday let owners. We spend the whole break discussing how we could do it better!
+1 :D