We're now online!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
ClareyD

We're now online!

Post by ClareyD »

Hi all

Thank you to those in other posts who have guided us through some early issues elsewhere with letting! We've now got our own site up and running and I'd love to know your thoughts as vastly more experienced rental owners, and as outsiders to our own project! Please be kind (but firm!) - we've had so many headaches elsewhere with this place!!

www.widemouthholiday.co.uk
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I'm no techie, but as a simple viewer I have to say that it looks great! Very impressive :)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Just viewed it on a phone and it looks great. The immediate thing that's missing is any indication of rates. Even if you can put a simple guideline that would make the site nearer complete. If you could have availability as well, even better.

On the basis that you make it clear bookings are taken via the agent, I clicked through to the site and was quite frankly horrified but what I could see (at least on a small screen) What an old fashioned website and poor quality advert. You can clearly teach them a great deal about modern day websites! I gave up looking for the rates and availability as it didn't immediately jump out to me how to find them. I didn't bother to click through to TA as that might not be the obvious route that guests will go to book. If I can't view rates and availability as a guest, I don't waste my time looking and would be using a different site or agent altogether.

Hope things go from strength to strength for you.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Gosh, I agree with Nemo about the Cornish Bay Holidays site! not doing your property too many favours and they don't have any pricing either. I think I'd probably jog on if I couldn't get some idea of cost and availability. Are you looking at other distribution channels or are your current arrangements filling your calendar?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Her previous thread sheds light on that matter Casscat. However at least she has LMH in the toolkit now. Better value than the agent I suspect. :wink:

viewtopic.php?p=310444
Ele

Post by Ele »

Looks very clean and refreshing, I like the colours you've used and the whole site reflects the relaxed feel you want your guests to experience.

Definitely agree with Nemo that you need to display rates, and if it's possible availability too.

Also a couple of suggestions -

The main image you use of the property on the 'Seascape' page (and also the TripAdvisor listing) could perhaps be made more enticing by adding a splash of colour. I'd be tempted to add a few hanging baskets and flower pots, then zoom out a bit so there's more sky in view (as you have on the TA one).

Also I always like to know a bit about the owners, and think a bit of personal information gives guests confidence that we're 'real'! I may have missed it but perhaps an 'About Us' section?

Very best of luck!
ClareyD

Post by ClareyD »

You guys are definitely the best value ever!!

We put TripAdvisor on to show availability and pricing and because the agent's website (which they had designed at some cost only earlier this year!) is frankly s**t, but I think that maybe putting an indication of rates on our own site is a good idea - thank you.

To be fair to them they have (somehow!) managed to book 6 consecutive weeks through end of July to end of August, but nothing for the shoulder season yet. We did get our first statement through yesterday, however, and the changeover costs are around £50 per week above what we were quoted back in May so I'm querying that. Wish me luck!

Thanks for your suggestions, Ele. I'll look at the photos. We're not in control of the Tripadvisor page (that's the agent). And we'd steered clear of anything about us partly because we're using the agent so currently the guests don't have anything to do with us, and partly because we're not local to Cornwall, so I thought it might not be the best idea. Something to think about though!
jenboyle1959

Post by jenboyle1959 »

I agree with the others about pricing, but just wanted to put my tuppence worth in and say your bungalow looks fantastic. I particularly liked the description- it's not stilted; it sounds friendly and inviting.
I did click through to TA ,and see it gives a weekly price, but of course this might be for a week in November, starting on a Tuesday, or something . I think people would want to know how much that's likely to rise in high to mid season...
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Very nice. It all looks very professional and all the pages are well balanced with content.

On the home page it says accommodation for 4 people but it took a bit of digging to find out how many bedrooms. I think key points like this need to be seen in the first few seconds.

As said already, it could do with prices and availability.

The only thing which I find odd and I know other people do it too, is the inclusion of links for the Wordpress login and Webemail in the footer. These are not for public use so don't need to be shown. I realise it makes it easier for the owner but you would quickly learn to simply put wp-admin at the end of your domain name to reach the WP dashboard.

Good job though.

For anyone curious, it's based on this theme:
http://themeforest.net/item/hotel-maste ... e/11032879
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

ClareyD wrote: To be fair to them they have (somehow!) managed to book 6 consecutive weeks through end of July to end of August, but nothing for the shoulder season yet. We did get our first statement through yesterday, however, and the changeover costs are around £50 per week above what we were quoted back in May so I'm querying that. Wish me luck!
Virtually any agent should be able to fill your beautiful property during the peak season, but the key to a good agent is getting you off season bookings. Your agent must have some loyal users that stick with them as they know they'll get a nice holiday regardless of a bad website!
ClareyD wrote:We'd steered clear of anything about us partly because we're using the agent so currently the guests don't have anything to do with us, and partly because we're not local to Cornwall, so I thought it might not be the best idea. Something to think about though!
It doesn't have to be much, but actually telling people you're an offsite owner and what made you fall in love and subsequently buy the property is always interesting. Even if they're booking through an agent, they are booking your property, which by its very nature, is an extension of you. Not all agree with this of course but it works for lots of us!
ClareyD

Post by ClareyD »

Thank you all for your feedback - it really is useful.

I should point out (in the interests of not appearing cleverer than I am!) that we didn't build the site ourselves but used a designer. He was brilliant though - easiest and quickest I've worked with. He was chasing us to get it finished! And using a professional is no guarantee of quality, as our agent's website indicates.

Tbh I think we're unlikely to renew with them unless they pull something amazing out of the bag in the next month. They're really nice people, and I do get that the Cornish way of life is a lot slower than in Hampshire, but I'm running out rockets....!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I'm sure your investment in your website will repay itself many times over in years to come. Compared to the investment you made in the bricks and mortar its small change.

I like the rocket analogy and can imagine. :wink: At least you're up and running; a heavy learning curve in year one is no bad thing - you'll have a head start for year two!
booboo

Post by booboo »

Reading through the posts i realize i know very little about websites :)
FWIT I thought your placed looked lovely and I would be tempted to stay there if ever in the area.
ClareyD

Post by ClareyD »

Thanks, Nemo. We're really pleased with the look of the site - we just want to make sure we've got the content right as that's our responsibility!

And yes, it is a learning curve! But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?!
ClareyD

Post by ClareyD »

Thanks, Booboo! You'd be very welcome!