Damage to hob

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
bessie

Damage to hob

Post by bessie »

My departing guests have burnt the ring surrounding one of the hot plates,its totally dropped to bits how is anyones guess but it looks like something has boiled over and they just let it burn.
Next guests due today,electrician cannot repair until Monday if part available that day.I have put a sticker on the off on nob.
All I can do is apologize they can use the other 3 hotplates
Please have I done all I can.
If guests refuse entry on Monday it will be repaired the following week..
:?
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

That's all you can do Bessie. I am sure they will be fine with the other three. Most people are nice and understanding :)
pambon

Post by pambon »

Agree with FelicityA; most guests are very understanding of these things and as long as you ensure you are doing everything possible to remedy the situation they cannot fault you.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Apologies pressed submit twice:(
bessie

Post by bessie »

Thank you .
I have a security deposit but it won't cover the damage ,OH says return it but next time they book explain (he's hopeful but they visit family )you returned security deposit BUT doors ,windows and hob .
Just waiting for next guests so I will smile and hope they understand. :lol:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

If it won't cover it, it may be time to think about increasing that damage deposit.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I'm sure your guests will understand bessie, and it's going to be obvious to them that you care. Shhhhh - it happens.

As for what else you could have done? Well, nothing much really in the timescale; you might have been able to rush out and get a complete new hob and then find someone to fit it......... :? but they've still got 75% of a hob to use!

Hope it can be easily fixed and that's the end of the problem - good luck.
bessie

Post by bessie »

Thank you,lovely guests just arrived very understanding and were happy for me to repair after their holiday. :D
Panic over ,you just feel guilty when something is broken but I can now shop about for parts.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

That's good to hear! 👍
pambon

Post by pambon »

That's great Bessie! Now relax!!
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Most guests are a pleasure to serve, unlike the last couple we had who have just demanded £50 compensation for being less than 48 hours without the dishwasher not quite working properly. They reported the issue along with glasses they has broken on the Sunday evening and it was 100% good by the Tuesday at 3pm. Only two guests who said they had to eat out because "they couldnt manually wash dishes" :roll: Couldnt believe it having just recently followed the earlier post here about the other dishwasher saga..... hey ho and on we go
:)
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

salmoncottage wrote: Only two guests who said they had to eat out because "they couldnt manually wash dishes" :roll:
Oh FFS - they "had" to eat out because they wanted to. And they could have let the washing up pile up a bit anyway as they're on holiday and I'm sure you provide plenty of crockery if you provide a dishwasher.
Just had to check this isn't the members only section before I made my next comment............ :wink:
bessie

Post by bessie »

salmoncottage wrote:Most guests are a pleasure to serve, unlike the last couple we had who have just demanded £50 compensation for being less than 48 hours without the dishwasher not quite working properly. They reported the issue along with glasses they has broken on the Sunday evening and it was 100% good by the Tuesday at 3pm. Only two guests who said they had to eat out because "they couldnt manually wash dishes" :roll: Couldnt believe it having just recently followed the earlier post here about the other dishwasher saga..... hey ho and on we go
:)
I have not got a dishwasher ,just a big Belfast sink.
Washing up gives me time to calm down plus the rest of the house disappear leaving me in peace so chance of help .
Anyway sorry thread creep but dishwasher is one thing that won't fit into cottage.
Maybe they did not know how to wash up .
Essar

Post by Essar »

I've had a right 8a$7ard of a week - integrated slimline dishwasher packed in on Tuesday morning (motor kaput), washer/dryer in the afternoon. Brand new dishwasher installed Thursday; washer/dryer has new fan belt fitted as the old one had disintegrated - all working. Guests were fine and understood that $hi7 happens and were out at all necessary times. Went this morning to see them off and they told me that one of the gas hob igniters had stopped working. Of course spares are not available for a this model hob as it's all sealed - I've provided one of those lighter thingies for the new guests (Germans) who said that's what they use at home. Oh, and the kitchen clock stopped - flat battery, fortunately I carry AAAs. :(

If this post makes no sense it's because I'm on my second bottle of the old red stufff....hic..... and I'm teetotally pi$$ed.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

Essar wrote:I've had a right 8a$7ard of a week - integrated slimline dishwasher packed in on Tuesday morning (motor kaput), washer/dryer in the afternoon. Brand new dishwasher installed Thursday; washer/dryer has new fan belt fitted as the old one had disintegrated - all working. Guests were fine and understood that $hi7 happens and were out at all necessary times. Went this morning to see them off and they told me that one of the gas hob igniters had stopped working. Of course spares are not available for a this model hob as it's all sealed - I've provided one of those lighter thingies for the new guests (Germans) who said that's what they use at home. Oh, and the kitchen clock stopped - flat battery, fortunately I carry AAAs. :(

If this post makes no sense it's because I'm on my second bottle of the old red stufff....hic..... and I'm teetotally pi$$ed.
Completely understand and empathise Essar, and that's after a few beers and a late night G&T now I'm home.

I only have long term guests now and after no problems for ages the Hungarian Princess (not a real Princess you understand) moves in and within two days there is a report from the "hausmeister" that the shower is leaking into the cellar and the Princess reports a strange and unacceptable "smell" in the bathroom.

Pass me the Gordons.....
Here we go again........