Damage to hob

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

My rather inadequate offering to today's tales of woe is a malfunctioning door lock on the property that we're changing over for guest departure/arrival today. I found it when I tried to open the door and you probably heard what I said unless you're in Australia.
Fortunately when I got the Allen keys out for a bit of dismantling it turned out to be a simple fix (two tiny internal grub screws had worked loose - note to manufacturer: use threadlocker) and all is now well.

But I'm just a bit on edge now - that's not going to be the only thing, right? We all know this.............. :roll:

To Be Continued......... :?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

PW in Polemi wrote:Mousie - have you actually got either hair or finger nails left after all that? You have every sympathy - remember the other thread about upset guests and basically several of us decided that what can go wrong, will go wrong and once it's started going wrong for one guest, it continues for that guest.
Sod's law is too weak - this is holiday accommodation law, a much more virulent beastie altogether.
Thankfully the guests were sensible, pragmatic northerners and could see non of it was my fault. I was round so often that I joked they should just make a bed up for me and I'd get the advantage of having a pool for 2 weeks!
The a/c was a real issue though...and the owner, had he checked, would have known it wasn't working whilst still there. Of course the guests didn't know that.
On top of that, with our own place we had 4 bed slats go on one bed (thankfully had replacements) and on changeover, as if it isn't manic enough, the pipe carrying the water to the washing machine came out of the socket causing a full scale flood mid changeover.
So yes....I think that is true PW!

GB...be scared, be very scared.
Maybe it is the blue moon we had?!

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
pambon

Post by pambon »

To Be Continued or maybe, hopefully Finale di Stagione (or Series) as they say here when the TV series finishes its season (or the series).
pambon

Post by pambon »

Mousie am intrigued and impressed you have replacement bed slats.....did you get them when getting the beds or what? Think I may have to go into this - just to be prepared!!
Isy

Post by Isy »

@Mouse: so sorry to hear about the thread of bad luck you're having and finger crossed it is gonna stop.
Pity it is impossible to send you some Domestos Bleach ultra White and Sparkle (I don't think Customs will be impressed) I would be tempted to send you over some to cheer you up... but I guess at this stage it is more a stiff drink you need to forget about the nightmare of a week you had.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger !
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

pambon wrote:Mousie am intrigued and impressed you have replacement bed slats.....did you get them when getting the beds or what? Think I may have to go into this - just to be prepared!!
After an incident last year pambon when 1 was broken we hit the internet and found that Amazon sold them, so bought a pack of 10. Good job too otherwise I don't know what we would have done. .they don't sell things like that here.

Aw Isy you're such a sweetie, and always say the right thing! A bottle of Domestos would most certainly have brought a smile to my face :D

Mousie (a domestos addict)
x
Edited to correct spelling of domestos :oops: I'd had a long week!
Last edited by Mouse on Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Mouse wrote:
pambon wrote:Mousie am intrigued and impressed you have replacement bed slats.....did you get them when getting the beds or what? Think I may have to go into this - just to be prepared!!
After an incident last year pambon when 1 was broken we hit the internet and found that Amazon sold them, so bought a pack of 10. Good job too otherwise I don't know what we would have done. .they don't sell things like that here.

Mousie (a demestos addict)
x
Thanks Mousie, will check out Amazon which I use a fair amount. Not available here either I rather feel. Amazon is a life saver on these occasions, isn't it?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

It is! Amazing what you can get now.

Mousie
x
Essar

Post by Essar »

greenbarn wrote:So not a great day at the office really......... :roll:

I just hope this isn't catching!
(Spare dishwasher - check. Spare washing machine - check. Spare hob - er.......... No a/c to worry about. Ground source heat pumps supply hot water, are made by Dimplex and therefore horribly unreliable with no support..... :evil: praying )
Don't forget to carry batteries.

Thanks for all messages of support - I've had a quiet day and snoozed a lot.

I do hate letting guests down even when all areas are covered (T&Cs etc) - I now have a small selection of experts; a domestic engineer, plumber, electrician, locksmith & Gas man to call upon when needed, the domeng jumped into action told me the dishwasher was doomed and that the washer/dryer was a simple replacement part. AO.com did following day delivery of new integrated and took away the doomed ones. My domeng did all the disconnectiing/connecting all very quickly. So, although it was a bit fraught it could have been worserer if the guests had got the hump. Incidentally, it's worth bearing in mind that AO.com do not disconnect of connect integrated appliance but they do take away the scrap ones for £15.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Just been reading all these horrendous tales.

So glad you got sorted Essar.
Hope everyone else does too.

We had calls yesterday from our caretaker about bleeping smoke/ carbon monoxide alarms - it wasn't Friday 13th so must be something to do with the blue moon........??????
Essar

Post by Essar »

My guests have just left a brilliant review - so it didn't bother them at all, never even mentioned the problems.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Result! :D

Not holding my breath on my neighbours guests.

Mousie
x
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Zebedee - is that bleeping alarm telling you the battery needs changing? That's what ours do - when the battery level gets a little low, there's the occasional bleep. When the battery is about to run out (normally overnight :roll: ), the alarm bleeps, pauses, bleeps, pauses, bleeps, pauses, bleeps, pauses, etc etc etc until you HAVE to do something about the darned thing! :lol:

Anyway, well done, chaps and chapesses for your professionalism in getting problems sorted ASAP. Happy holidaymakers rule OK! :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
bessie

Post by bessie »

I have refunded security deposit as I just don't have time and energy to argue and my temper might get the better of me on the phone.
Would you still send an email to guest notify them of damage anyway.
It seems I have to now buy a whole new hob unit ,I now will take my iPad and photograph straight away sending pics to any guest so no chance of dispute.
As for doors and windows left open ,a property has been broken into down the lane last night so clearly someone is about. :evil:
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Sorry to hear that Bessie :-( We once had to buy a whole new oven as someone smashed the inner glass door and no replacement part could be found. They just didn't know how it happened of course!!!

Anyway, with reference to thread creep on another lengthy thread I thought is was time for some here!
Domestos I'll have you know, was first produced in Newcastle about a mile away from me and sold door to door and stored in refillable stone jars. My friend has a workshop in the old industrial unit in Byker. So, if any of you fans want to do a Domestos pilgrimage give me a shout! (That also goes for Be-ro flour, Lucozade, Fairy Soap, Andrew's Liver Salts and of course the iconic Broon Ale) :wink:

One of my jobs everyone was super green and Domestos was considered the devil's work. They only bought Ecover equivelants which were pants to me. I kept a bottle of Dom hidden!