Hybrid b&b

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
catherinedonegal

Hybrid b&b

Post by catherinedonegal »

We have an apartment landed on us. It was built beside our home for my mum who is in her 80s and in fairness getting a bit dotty. She refuses to use it. Her upset is "do I have to sleep out THERE?!"

So we had no option but to move on. We are doing up a spare bedroom in our house for my mama but the apartment is there. Right beside us.

It is lovely and a stand alone apartment within our town boundaries and with private parking but not sure how to market it.

As a holiday rental it might do okay but I was thinking of doing it as an apartment stroke b&b. In other words they can rent the apartment but have the option of a breakfast delivered.

What do others think on the self-catering/b&b hybrid?

Any suggestions very welcome.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Strangely enough we have just decided against booking a B&B in Cotswld area just because the it's in an annex and the breakfast gets delivered from the main house. My OH wondered what happens if it's raining? Didn't bother me peronally but it did him. Maybe just do as a HL?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've stayed in a place like this in France. Wished I'd just booked our usual hotel, but it is a nice enough idea. Perhaps make it an additional option so people can choose to be private if they wish?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

We've run a 'hybrid b&b' here for the last 4 years. It's been hugely successful and is a great format, though from next year we're changing to a wholly self-catering set up. We don't do a delivered breakfast though - personally I'd hate that - our guests all come to the table in the main house.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I don't see anything against doing both - as you say, an option if the market is suitable. The trouble is that when breakfast is optional ( as in many chain hotels) it then often seems a very pricey extra, especially when it is just a couple of croissants and coffee. Difficult getting that bit right and I think you will probably give yourself more work than is worth it. However, if you are in a remote area, not near shops where they can buy nice fresh stuff for breakfast, then it might appeal. I would leave the rest of the arrangements as self catering - in a B and B you would be presumably be doing the bathroom, cleaning the room, changing sheets and towels more regularly etc. Do you know of anyone else with this arrangement? You could always try it out and drop it if it didn't make economic sense.
JaneS

Hybrid B&B

Post by JaneS »

I do both B&B and gite. When I have guests in both the house and gite on a B&B basis, the guests in the gite have their breakfast in the gite, which we set up for them and we have a chat with them and then go and chat to the B&B guests in the house, so they all get treated in the same way. I have had no complaints.

I would also carry out research; a morning or afternoon at the computer will be time well spent as you will be much more informed and feel more confident in moving forwards. I would also seek out the local tourist board for advice.

I hope this has helped.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

We recently stayed in a chambre d'hote that had just one letting room. The room was across the courtyard from the owners home. This B&B room looked as though it could have one been a garage in a former life however it had been purpose built. It was perfect for our needs. On arrival the owner asked what we would like to drink with our breakfast and what time we would like it served. next morning she arrived on time with a huge tray laden with an excellent choice of breakfast. The room was spacious and had a large table and seats for 4 so no need to perch on the bed to eat.

We have stayed in a similar set-up in Brittany but this was in small a studio. If the studio was rented by the week and self-catering then one could use the fridge, microwave etc. On a B&B basis the fridge and cooking facilities were not offered.

Edit, I am not sure delivering breakfast would work so well if you serve a cooked breakfast.
Fleur
catherinedonegal

kyreniagirl wrote:Strangely enough we have just decided against booking a B&B in Cotswld area just because the it's in an annex and the breakfast gets delivered from the main house. My OH wondered what happens if it's raining? Didn't bother me peronally but it did him. Maybe just do as a HL?
I can understand your oh saying that. I would be wary too. My idea is to do it as a hr with the option.
catherinedonegal

HelenB wrote:I've stayed in a place like this in France. Wished I'd just booked our usual hotel, but it is a nice enough idea. Perhaps make it an additional option so people can choose to be private if they wish?
EXACTALLY what my idea is. If they want it, I can do it, if they don't, perfect.
catherinedonegal

French Cricket wrote:We've run a 'hybrid b&b' here for the last 4 years. It's been hugely successful and is a great format, though from next year we're changing to a wholly self-catering set up. We don't do a delivered breakfast though - personally I'd hate that - our guests all come to the table in the main house.
We don't have a 'main house' as such. the apartment is beside us so they will never be part of the house. my idea is to simply let the apartment and bring them breakfast should they wish.
catherinedonegal

Re: Hybrid B&B

JaneS wrote:I do both B&B and gite. When I have guests in both the house and gite on a B&B basis, the guests in the gite have their breakfast in the gite, which we set up for them and we have a chat with them and then go and chat to the B&B guests in the house, so they all get treated in the same way. I have had no complaints.

I would also carry out research; a morning or afternoon at the computer will be time well spent as you will be much more informed and feel more confident in moving forwards. I would also seek out the local tourist board for advice.

I hope this has helped.
thanks so much for the detailed input but I don't understand? my idea is to offer sc guests the option of having breakfast? (it's only a teeny apartment beside our house :-) )
catherinedonegal

FelicityA wrote:I don't see anything against doing both - as you say, an option if the market is suitable. The trouble is that when breakfast is optional ( as in many chain hotels) it then often seems a very pricey extra, especially when it is just a couple of croissants and coffee. Difficult getting that bit right and I think you will probably give yourself more work than is worth it. However, if you are in a remote area, not near shops where they can buy nice fresh stuff for breakfast, then it might appeal. I would leave the rest of the arrangements as self catering - in a B and B you would be presumably be doing the bathroom, cleaning the room, changing sheets and towels more regularly etc. Do you know of anyone else with this arrangement? You could always try it out and drop it if it didn't make economic sense.
Not sure anyone else does it here.

But I know I would do fab breakfasts should they desire.

They could walk from our apartment over to the town easily but I don't think they could find what I can do. No, scratch that, they wouldn't :-D
catherinedonegal

Fleur wrote:We recently stayed in a chambre d'hote that had just one letting room. The room was across the courtyard from the owners home. This B&B room looked as though it could have one been a garage in a former life however it had been purpose built. It was perfect for our needs. On arrival the owner asked what we would like to drink with our breakfast and what time we would like it served. next morning she arrived on time with a huge tray laden with an excellent choice of breakfast. The room was spacious and had a large table and seats for 4 so no need to perch on the bed to eat.

We have stayed in a similar set-up in Brittany but this was in small a studio. If the studio was rented by the week and self-catering then one could use the fridge, microwave etc. On a B&B basis the fridge and cooking facilities were not offered.

Edit, I am not sure delivering breakfast would work so well if you serve a cooked breakfast.
thanks for all the input there :-)

our guests can use the microwave fridge etc. breakfast is optional and I can take about 15 steps from my house to deliver a cooked breakfast should they desire. :-)
aasta

Post by aasta »

Please what is a "hybrid B&B"??????
aasta
catherinedonegal

aasta wrote:Please what is a "hybrid B&B"??????
It was just my way of putting a name on my little self catering apartment but in which I can make breakfast for guests should the so wish. :)