My very first guests have...

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Entirelyidentifiable

My very first guests have...

Post by Entirelyidentifiable »

...brought a dog with them according to my property manager who took her cleaners in today to do a mid-week clean.

The listing clearly states NO pets.
The agency I use are great but there was another agency beneath them who needed a last minute villa and perhaps it was not communicated to the guests that this was not okay.

SOOOOOO what to do. Should we charge a supplement for extra cleaning? I have asked my property manager if there is any sign of extra cleaning needed or damage and am awaiting a reply but I think she would have mentioned it if anything significant had happened.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Find out if the agency alerted them to the no pets rule....if they didn't then they should fork out for extra cleaning. If they did, then the guests should pay.
Somewhere down the line someone is culpable...it's just a case of finding out who.

Welcome to the world of holiday rentals!

Mousie
x
p.s. agencies are a nightmare here and I wouldn't touch a booking from them. They will shove anyone in anywhere and charge a fortune on top of your prices. Often the renters perceptions haven't been managed. Hope yours are more professional.
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Entirelyidentifiable

Thanks - good advice.
I will find out if it was not communicated and who needs to cough up.

I guess the property manager will have a view on how much extra cleaning might be needed. Very annoying and a baptism of fire from my first guests!!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Welcome to the whacky world of holiday letting - hopefully there won't be any problem. Personally I would take a booking with dogs over sticky fingered kids any day :)
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Bummer. You'll need extra cleaning time, so charge it somehow. When we have dogs in (often, and with our knowledge!) we know we'll find dog hairs attached to the backs of floor length curtains, and other unlikely places purely because they get airborne and have to settle somewhere. There'll be doggy nose prints on any door with glass at dog height, etc etc. We have hard floors, but mats and rugs need extra attention. Basically, your cleaner will have to search for any evidence that might upset the next guest.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

kyreniagirl wrote:Welcome to the whacky world of holiday letting - hopefully there won't be any problem. Personally I would take a booking with dogs over sticky fingered kids any day :)
Don't go there........ cleaning after a dog requires some imagination, a decent vac and normal cleaning stuff. Sticky fingered kids? Paint stripper, blowtorch, hazard suit, stepladders (how? Up there? )........ :evil:
Entirelyidentifiable

Yep dogs versus kids...not clear cut as to which is worse.

As a dog owner I don't think it's the end of the world and suspect it is a small dog.

How many hours extra would seem reasonable to charge for with the cleaning (it is a 4 bed house with a large living/ dining area - no carpets and the small bedside rugs need a machine wash each time anyway). There are two large large rugs though but hopefully these can be vacuumed ok.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

If the dog hasn't been in any of the bedrooms, I'd reckon an extra hour is justifiable, although it's surprising how long it can take to get the final dog hair out of a rug. (We have different rugs for guests who don't bring dogs :wink: )
Entirelyidentifiable

Its bed was in one of the bedrooms but actually that's not really worse than the living room. The curtains aren't floor length in that room so it would just be the bedding potentially.

Gosh I hope they aren't cleaning up the darn dog with my brand new towels!! Welcome to the world of rentals indeed!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

You might want to look at your TCs. as a result of this experience.

I accept dogs, but they must be by prior arrangement and my TCs and website say that if a dog arrives that I have not been told about then it could result in the holiday being terminated ( no, I haven't tested that one in the courts, but it makes a strong point).

If you TCs are very clear, it will give you more leverage with the agency. I too used an agency when we started out and the people taking the bookings wouldn't have a clue as to the implications for the property owners about dogs.

Saying that, most dog owners are very responsible guests.
Entirelyidentifiable

I will check the agency agreement. They are UK based and my experiences as a renter via them, and initially as an owner, plus those of a few other owners of theirs I know have been excellent.

The threat of having a holiday terminated would I'm very sure put people off even if you wouldn't actually do it. Who'd take that risk!
Entirelyidentifiable

Well...the guests left and I'm told by the house manager (who is very protective and careful!) that everything was left in a very good state and there were no issues at all. On this occasion, I'm probably not going to charge a supplement as I'd rather have careful, clean guests with a dog than perhaps some without a dog who are not so good.
annedab

Post by annedab »

Entirelyidentifiable wrote:I'd rather have careful, clean guests with a dog than perhaps some without a dog who are not so good.
Absolutely!
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I used to take dogs but no longer need the extra hassle. It's the odd irresponsible owner that ruins it for the others. Not just the house but yr garden will be full of poo which you won't find till you start strimming!!!

Also, be careful of future guests choosing a non pet villa & claiming they have allergies due to a recent pet.
Entirelyidentifiable

It won't come up as an issue normally as most of our guests will fly in for a week or two. This party was unusually from Portugal. I meant more that I would accept them again but yes I don't think I would take others for the reasons you give.