Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Ants everywhere

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index -> Managing your garden and pool
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bessie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Ants everywhere Reply with quote

Suddenly the garden is overrun with them,at home I use a farm spray and that gets rid of them but at the cottage I would not be happy to use it where other people have access.
The next two sets of guests have children and it would be unpleasant for them to sit on the lawn ,the pathsseem to be alive as well.
I need to find something to kill them quickly that will leave the garden safe in 2 days.
PW in Polemi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boiling water on the nest if you can find it.
Otherwise, contact your nearest zoo/animal park and ask to borrow their anteater Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
apexblue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a flying ant infestation in our dining room - Nipon did the trick - don't like killing them and usually baby talc does the trick - they move elsewhere - but not this time.
jenboyle1959

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used little ant traps before- you put the stuff onto the trap, leave it somewhere close to the ant's route. They sook it up ,take it home and it kills the Queen or whatever the Head Ant is called. It has the advantage of : being discreet
:cats ,dogs and children can't get access to the poison, as it's inside the trap
: It was much less messy than the powder.
I can't recall it's name, but it may have been Nippon? The traps were wee plastic circular trays with lids. It was very efficient.
jenboyle1959

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxforce-Indoor-Outdoor-Bait-Station/dp/B00757S0LW/ref=pd_sim_86_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=05T4NV9BQ5VE0H13KVMX

This looks similar, Bessie.
Bunny

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the path you could use one of those gas canister weed killers gun things (if you have one). I use one to kill red mite in the chicken house. Quick and effective. They do 'pop' though!
COYS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pesttechcenter.com
Have used their gels for assorted critters with fast results. Last year we had some massive ants (2cm) in the garden that we managed to clear in a few days with a little persistence. Quite expensive but it worked.
bessie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jenboyle1959 wrote:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxforce-Indoor-Outdoor-Bait-Station/dp/B00757S0LW/ref=pd_sim_86_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=05T4NV9BQ5VE0H13KVMX

This looks similar, Bessie.

Thank you, I have ordered some ,my free voucher for Amazon for filling a questionnaire about bvd in cattle has come in handy.
Hopefully my guests will enjoy the garden again without been bit by ants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index -> Managing your garden and pool All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: