Anyone affected by UK security alert?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Hells Bells

Anyone affected by UK security alert?

Post by Hells Bells »

Our guests were due to arrive on Thursday, and have been delayed until Monday. Fortunately for them , they had booked for 2 weeks, and have asked if they can stay until the Saturday. Must have been awful for them , they did say the airline (Easyjet) had been really helpful though.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

We had guests arriving today from Manchester and they arrived on time. I thought that their flight would either be delayed or cancelled but the only hold up was at Malaga Airport (under a major construction for a new runway) when trying to collect their rental car...they were there nearly 2 hours!!
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hmm

I've got a project in UK next week.

I usually take laptop & files in hand luggage so that, even if in jeans t-shirt & flip flops, I can still work without lost hold luggage.

I can probably put a flash memory stick in my wallet, but the problem is my luggage will be too heavy.

I'll phone on Monday to see if I can borrow a lap top over there.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

We had a guest who was due to arrive on Friday and who's flight was cancelled. He is coming today instead, but only for 5 nights now instead of 7 because I don't have the availability. Unfortunately this was a last minute booking so he is paying on arrival, so it means we are out of pocket.

Oh well.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The easyjet site says that they have increased their hold baggage limit to 25kg. Not sure if other airlines are doing the same though.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

I am doing regular one or two day trips with my current client where I manage with a briefcase only. Apart from the nuisance value of having to wait for it to come from the hold, my greater concern is that the laptop won't survive baggage handling.

Don't know why I should worry as it's the client's laptop, but there you go.

John
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

A shame for the people who thought they would be able to fly with no luggage at all, just the usual mobile ! Then they discover the mobile has to go in the hold as well.The mobiles on the conveyor belt could be an ad for the Carphone warehouse !! :lol:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I never check baggage; I guess I'll be starting next time we travel.

Our current client is a multi-week client who was already at the house when all this started. Our next clients are from the US, but they have already arrived in France; we're just the tail end of their trip. Hopefully things will have calmed down after that...
Brooke
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Thankfully hubs laptop survived the baggage hold experience when he came home Friday night. They stuck a Fragile sticker on it and apparently put them on a slower ramp thing. I'd still be dubious but if needs must. I suppose a decent travel case would help too.

They could take anything else off me but I'd be totally lost without a paperback for the flight...
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

soodyer wrote:
They could take anything else off me but I'd be totally lost without a paperback for the flight...
You seem to be able to take on pretty much anything bought airside (except liquids for US flights). I wish I had that much confidence in the security behind getting goods airside!

John
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Just had my second set of guests cancelled (were due to arrive today).

Something that hadn't occured to me is that their insurance company won't pay out because the cancellation is due to an act of terrorism. They have paid in full, and aren't expecting a refund (I have offered them alternative dates), but I wonder whether there are likely to be problems for others.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My guests arrived last night. I have let them extend their stay by a couple of nights.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I've just received an e-mail from Flyby containing the following:-

“But because we fly from the UK’s regional airports (rather than congested airport hubs), we’ve been less affected by delays. In fact, today none of our flights have been delayed by more than one hour, with 88% right on time. Plus, we haven’t had a single flight cancellation!�

So, it's not gloom and doom everywhere.

Alan
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Alan, I think if my guests had been flying from Newcastle instead of Luton, they may have only arrived a day late. The NCL-Geneva flight was operating on Fri according to EJ's site.
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Ciapolin,

Why do you not cut them in on the $41.5 million - that would help a lot - or are you too selfish!!!

Robert