Still a PMP fan but..no new templates /updates for years!!

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
cleanforum

Still a PMP fan but..no new templates /updates for years!!

Post by cleanforum »

I raised this before in connection with mobile sites from PMP and the rather clunky look and feel they have.

I have just paid for renewal. No problem with that. For what they offer I still consider it good value and their support is great too.

I just think it is a bit sad that they still provide the same templates and widgets after years and have made no new progress on their mobile apps.

I read that mobile users have now surpassed PC users and so our pretty websites that we build on PMP are being seen by less and less people as more people are using mobile devices.

I raised this with PMP a year ago and was assured that development was ongoing and a new mobile site format was in the pipeline. So far nothing.

I used to build and manage my own websites which was a lot of work and so I chose PMP as a better way of having my web content move with the times..

I have my doubts as to wether PMP are developing anything new at all. :(

This would be a shame as this company obviously have large and loyal customer base.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I thought that they had produced a whole lot of new templates?? I am pretty sure that I read that they had but I have been too lazy to change mine and also because I like the one I have. So I confess, I have not gone to look.

Also it displays fine on my ipad. In fact it looks precisely the same as it does on my Mac so I wonder if you are talking about android devices and it is poor on there? I hardly ever browse on my iphone as everything is far too tiny for me so I can't comment on that.

Edited to add that I had a look in their updates section and you are right, I see no mention of new templates. I think I remember that it was around the time of me making my website in 2012 that they produced some more but I had already decided on mine. So perhaps it is time for more!
Last edited by FelicityA on Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
cleanforum

Post by cleanforum »

Yes looks great too on my Samsung tablet.

I confess I still have an old style mobile (pool proof and a battery that last 7 days) but when I look at the site on my wifes or daughters mobile phones then the clunky version shows.

I see 90% of people using mobiles these days, not sure if Tablets are losing favour as being too big.

Anyway, I have not noticed any new profiles, widgets etc has anyone else?
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

The widget list is certainly longer than when I started. Have you tried asking them for a particular widget? I have got as many as I need!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I think PMP did indicate that new templates were 'coming soon', but that was some time ago. What sort of widgets would you like to see that are not currently there cleanforum? Have you made any specific requests to PMP HQ or just general ones?

I have stuck with the format of my web page since setting it up June 2014 but I dare say that at some point I will fancy giving it a facelift. I can achieve this by selecting from the existing range of templates, fonts, colours, layouts etc. but I agree that it might be nice to have a few more in the mix just for variety.

I don't have any issues viewing on iPad or Android phone.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I assume you have activated the mobile display settings in your dashboard? Looks fine on my Android.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

This will check for you if your current site is mobile friendly.
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools ... -friendly/
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

HelenB wrote:This will check for you if your current site is mobile friendly.
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools ... -friendly/
Thanks, Helen. According to that, mine is 'Awesome' in terms of mobile friendliness. :)
cleanforum

Post by cleanforum »

Yes I do see the mobile version of the web.

To me that looks really too cut down. The title and heading look, well, I used the word clunky. Perhaps that is what people expect when surfing on mobile phones? I realise that the mobile version has to be cut down and user friendy, but mine just looks like a badly sized title, photo and list of text options. Not particulary enticing. I will look at some of the other PMPérs sites on mobile and see if the other templates perhaps do it better.

On the widgets I would love to use the widget for translating but again that looks very 90´s and non professional to have enblazend in a heading so I chose to not use it for aesthetics.

At the end of the day that is what PMP are offering right? an aestheticly pleasing user experience.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I am delighted with the way my PMP website appears on my IPhone and IPad.
Think they offer exceptional value for money :D :D
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

zebedee wrote:I am delighted with the way my PMP website appears on my IPhone and IPad.
Think they offer exceptional value for money :D :D
+1
And their customer service is second to none. If they decided to run a listing site, I would be first in the queue to sign up!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Indeed the templates have barely changed since they started. They have of course added a mobile version of your website, which will be served up by default on mobile devices, so I wouldn't worry about your mobile audience.

Ironically their own website is a responsive design so perhaps given time, this investment will eventually spread to the templates they offer.
cleanforum

Post by cleanforum »

Can I suggest something here?

That those with a PMP website

1)enable mobile version of their site
2)Then view it on a small mobile telephone.

I would be interested to know whether you find it;
attractive to the eye, appealing, usable etc.

Remember that increasingly this is what surfers will be seeing ie your "shop window" not the view we see when we are designing on our desktop.

How many actually have the mobile version enabled??
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I think pmp sites look fine on a phone and actually more modern than the desktop version. Testing on a 7 inch tablet showed some technical problems though, especially with the photo album. Probably not bad enough to make me leave the site though. I'd imagine they are OK on a larger device but can't test that coz the mrs lost ours last week.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It's fine on my Galaxy s4 and my new S6. Fine on Iphone 4s. I will check on my hubby's old HTC when I find it.