"What a disappointing cancellation policy"

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
apexblue

"What a disappointing cancellation policy"

Post by apexblue »

What a disappointing cancellation policy
Guest response when we said no to a refund unless re-let.

One week before arrival.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

:lol:

oh dear, what did they expect??? :roll:
Fleur
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

You could refund the cleaning and laundry costs as you haven't had to do this...

We don't if they book through certain commission websites though as it's an absolute nightmare trying to do it when it's all handled through them.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Obviously didn't read the T&Cs. Why should you be out of pocket?
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Thats why we suggest to all guests to get insurance - thats what its for isn't it ?
What would Plato do ?
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

I'm sure Thomson's etc. would have been much more understanding .......................
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

There is no limit to idiocy. :roll:
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

What a disappointing response from a unrealistic disappointed guest. :roll:
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

bornintheuk wrote:Thats why we suggest to all guests to get insurance - thats what its for isn't it ?
From talking to my current (American) guest, some seem completely unaware that you can get travel insurance for accommodation that is not an hotel. She buys travel insurance from whatever airline she flies on and books hotels, presumably on the sort of booking.com terms where you can cancel willy nilly very close to the time. I have been trying to explain the concept of annual travel insurance to her but it seems to be something she is completely in the dark about. Does it not apply over the Atlantic?

I always suggest to anyone who books that they take out insurance to cover them. But I don't think they take a blind bit of notice. This year I have had six cancellations over two properties and I did not get the impression that any insurance company would be involved. I am getting tougher about not giving the money back unless rebooked and I am now holding onto the (relatively small) deposit for the hassle, whereas previously I gave it all or nearly all back. One just has to be Mr or Mrs Tough!
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

A useful point i hadn't considered re suggesting to future guests they get travel insurance for their trip.

Once again LMH allowing me to learn something new every day. Thank you :)
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Last week my wife booked a hotel but her flight was cancelled and delayed 24 hours. She therefore missed a night booked in a hotel.
We were charged 100% of the cost and I think this is fairly normal for hotels.

Why then do people grumble at us for not having generous cancellation policies? Where else can they book accommodation, cancel it at the last minute and get all their money back?
T.S.

Post by T.S. »

FelicityA, I think you are right about people on this side of the Atlantic not knowing about travel insurance for non-hotel accommodations. Until relatively recently, I don't think we in the U.S. have had much in the way of non-hotel/motel/inn types of lodgings to choose from. So, interestingly, several things that seem commonplace to everyone else on this forum are things I'd never heard of before joining. (Of course, this will not be true for my countrymen who regularly travel to Europe or who have spent a good amount of time there.)

Many U.S. credit cards offer some form of travel insurance. I've always assumed it was only for flights and automobile rentals. But it might be worthwhile to take a closer look at their coverage terms, just in case.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

buys travel insurance from whatever airline she flies on
Argh! Dangerous thing.

I am aware of a cruise line that sells a policy which doesn't cover flights to the cruise. In this instance, the cruise line cancelled the cruise and offered alternative dates - their insurance covered the cruise cancellation, but didn't cover the flights.

Never ever buy insurance from a transport/accommodation provider!
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

What a disappointing guest. Good job they didn't turn up. If they were so disappointed with the t & c's why did they book?

We recently had to cancel a 2 week tour of Vietnam for personal reasons (3 days before due to leave), but not medical ones so we had no grounds to claim on travel insurance even. We knew this when we cancelled and accepted we would lose our money. Heartbreaking but we knew it was the right decision.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

T.S. wrote:FelicityA, I think you are right about people on this side of the Atlantic not knowing about travel insurance for non-hotel accommodations. Until relatively recently, I don't think we in the U.S. have had much in the way of non-hotel/motel/inn types of lodgings to choose from. So, interestingly, several things that seem commonplace to everyone else on this forum are things I'd never heard of before joining. (Of course, this will not be true for my countrymen who regularly travel to Europe or who have spent a good amount of time there.)

Many U.S. credit cards offer some form of travel insurance. I've always assumed it was only for flights and automobile rentals. But it might be worthwhile to take a closer look at their coverage terms, just in case.
And the doubly amazing thing is that she said to me when I told her about the fact we have an annual travel insurance policy "That wouldn't cover any medical costs abroad, right?". She seemed to think travel insurance only covered travel. This is even after one of their sons had had a medical emergency in Brazil, her husband had to stay there for two weeks while he was in hospital and then fly him home at their expense....she seemed unaware you could get insurance for a situation like that. Sorry, slight thread creep. Apex Blue's guest-not-to-be seems to think the cottage owner can act as insurer for them.