"What a disappointing cancellation policy"

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
gh

Post by gh »

We had to cancel a holiday last year our daughter went into premature labour 8wks early. It was our choice to c/x knew we were going to loose all costs as our insurance would not cover for this unexpected arrival :-)

Your guests are being very unreasonable Apex saying that to you. Their choice not to come, or if their insurance wouldn't cover their predicament, if indeed they had insurance.

I am currently looking after this little early arrival tonight :D
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

FelicityA wrote: Apex Blue's guest-not-to-be seems to think the cottage owner can act as insurer for them.
Well, that seems perfectly reasonable to me. After all, we're all only doing it for a bit of fun and pin money aren't we - and guests are doing us a favour by staying with us, right? It's not as though we have to devote any time to our little game, so it doesn't take away any valuable opportunities to spend the afternoon snoozing in front of the telly or in the garden with a Pimms. Coming to think of it, guests that cancel are doing us a big favour by removing the onerous task of having to give up half an hour out of our seven days of leisure time to greet them. They're so f*&^%ng thoughtful, aren't they?
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

We don't want to lose that amount of money if it didn't get re-let. We will keep the booking in our name and take new friends with us. We would prefer to be at hospital supporting our family, but as I said, I'm pretty sure we don't want to lose the money and the booking.
They are coming, Really looking forward to this booking.....
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Oh Blimey - the sob storey! If they cared that much about their family money wouldn't even be an issue.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

So are you meant to feel guilty because you are depriving them from sick bed duties (not!)
Fleur
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

I hear the sound of violins ...
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Oh God....... How do you meet and greet a martyr? Any bets on them leaving early and asking for a refund?
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

kyreniagirl wrote:Oh Blimey - the sob storey! If they cared that much about their family money wouldn't even be an issue.
+1 Nice - message to sick person - we put money above your health. What nice manipulative people they are. I really pity you for this booking. I fear they are going to be as miserable as sin.
Does your T&Cs cover amendments to the guest list?
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

Manipulative and incapable of taking responsibility for their own decisions.

They want you to take the decision/responsibility for them choosing not to be at the hospital, so they can blame you in front of aforesaid family.

Sigh.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Luckily we do not meet and greet.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Marks

Post by Marks »

greenbarn wrote:Oh God....... How do you meet and greet a martyr?
With a wooden cross, hammer & nails?
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
teba18

Post by teba18 »

Oh dear!What a blatant attempt at emotional blackmail! 'We have no choice but to come on holiday to your property because you won't look kindly on us and give us a refund so we can support our family in hospital.'
If they cared that much about their family money wouldn't even be an issue.
I'd stand firm ... but I wouldn't be looking forward to their arrival!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I'm sure we've all got related experiences, but here's one of ours from a year or so back. Guests had booked, all paid for then very shortly before arrival an urgent message - son was in a far flung land and had been taken seriously ill, they were having to fly out to be with him and then bring him back. We did our best to relet but it was never likely to happen, so we emailed telling the guest that we'd refund the cleaning/energy costs which they were due, help them with an insurance claim if needed, wished them well and IIRC suggested that if they could come at another time we'd offer them our returning guest discount.

I reckon a month of silence passed and we then heard back from them - very grateful, don't bother with the cleaning/services refund, please just knock it off the deposit for a new booking and we're bringing our son. If they had insurance I doubt it would cover the circumstances (?) but no mention of a refund at any point. Just a nice dose of realism, nice guests with their priorities in place, and yes they enjoyed their stay when they did make it.

Every now and then it happens.
On the other hand........
Isy

Post by Isy »

apexblue wrote:
We would prefer to be at hospital supporting our family
‪Can someone pass me a box of hankies?
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger !
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Makes you wonder what story they are telling to the family who need so much support at the hospital.......... :?: