Windows 10 & Outlook Send/Receive Not Working

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Essar

Windows 10 & Outlook Send/Receive Not Working

Post by Essar »

There is a bug in the new Windows 10 that may cause a problem with those who use Outlook. After upgrade Outlook fails to send emails.

The fix is:-

Right click on Start>Command Prompt (Admin)>sfc /scannow (hit return)

Note the space after sfc.

This will take 20 to 30 minutes to run; it will show the progress. Evidently some of the system files don't get updated properly and this checker corrects the versions properly. You may get an error message that shows a log file containing corruptions that need fixing - ignore this and restart Outlook. All should be well.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
e-richard

Re: Windows 10 & Outlook Send/Receive Not Working

Post by e-richard »

Essar wrote:There is a bug in the new Windows 10 ...
The fix is:-
All should be well.
And repeat daily until version 10.1
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

So basically I shouldn't download Windows 10 is what you're saying :mrgreen: I just received an email from a client bearing the legend 'sent from Outlook' reading "Au. Mnnhh." I guess he may be having problems too!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Casscat wrote:So basically I shouldn't download Windows 10 is what you're saying :mrgreen:
Actually, no, that is not what I am saying.

By all means download and use Win10. You may like it and you may like being at the forefront of new technology. Just expect bugs.
** Richard
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Windows 10!!!!!!!

I spent most of last weekend battling with that on a 1 year old Sony laptop. Turns out the graphics driver is not ready for it yet and the one supplied by Microsoft causes a fatal error on the machine, which spins up the fan to maximum and then powers off. Had to revert to a 1 year old disk image and then restore the data.

Make sure you have an recent image of your hard drive before giving it a try.

I did manage 30 minutes with it one time and it's not all it's hyped up to be. Slightly better than Windows 8 but that's about it. Still looks crap graphically.
Essar

Post by Essar »

Other than the Outlook thing my upgrade went okay; but as an ex-IT type person I always ensure I can go back to my last version if it all goes T^ts up!

Other than a few menu updates nowt looks any different. I've never liked the "new" Windows interface and have always reverted to the "normal" desktop full of icons which I much prefer any road up. I always mute my speakers until I actually need them as I find the dull beeps irritating - in fact I find the whole Microsoft thing extremely irritating. Have you seen the TV ad for it - obviously the human race can't survive without it. :P
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Essar wrote: I've never liked the "new" Windows interface and have always reverted to the "normal" desktop full of icons which I much prefer any road up.
That was called Windows 3.1. Brings back memories of my first PC :)
Essar

Post by Essar »

kevsboredagain wrote:
Essar wrote: I've never liked the "new" Windows interface and have always reverted to the "normal" desktop full of icons which I much prefer any road up.
That was called Windows 3.1. Brings back memories of my first PC :)
I do miss MS-DOS 3 :(
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

It completely screwed up Mr M's 7 year laptop. He now has to wipe it clean even after uninstalling, to get it to work.

I have left well alone.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Yes, there have been some horrific stories in the electronic press of Win10 really bad disasters, but I wonder how many people have installed it with no problem at all and secondly, I wonder how many Win8.1 users are finding it an improvement ?
** Richard
pambon

Post by pambon »

Some time ago Microsoft automatically installed on my bottom tool bar an icon for downloading Windows 10. Wasn't very happy at this intrusion.... About 10 days ago I inadvertently clicked on it realising immediately what I had done. Panic mode and internal screaming followed! Pressed all delete buttons and even shut down the laptop hoping it would cancel the download . It did!

Wish I could eliminate that damn icon so I don't have a repeat episode but I daren't touch it......

Hopefully by the time Windows 7 is obsolete Windows 10 will be a reliable OS.

My son continually urges me to purchase a Mac but feel I'm too ancient to
tackle it and there is no close assistance and no one to call on for help as everyone seems to use MS.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

2 out my 3 PCs here are now running Windows 10 with the 3rd one requiring an updated graphics driver from Sony before it will work.

I must say, it's actually not too bad. Certainly better than Windows 8.

Some things I like so far:
- Having 2 task bars when working with 2 screens
- Virtual desktops
- Cortana (just for novelty factor more than anything)
- Easier access to some of the settngs
- It seems to run a bit quicker than Windows 7

Things I don't like:
- The tiles next to the Start menu. Can't find a use for theme so will probably switch them off
- Lots of stuff enabled by default which reports back to Microsoft. Nothing is really free but you can turn these reporting back home features off.
Essar

Post by Essar »

I have also had nightly updates since the upgrade - Just MS putting right the cock-ups and fire fighting the hackers trying to bust it open. Must be the shooting season! :)
pambon

Post by pambon »

Interesting; my IT current guest told me to keep clear of Windows 10 and to hang on to number 7.

He actually offered to clear my laptop and put on it just what I wanted, while here and for free ("It's my bread and butter", he said"). I declined the offer, but may be tempted in the future...

My second computer (old type) was a custom built one and was great. For someone like me who has limited use of a pc perhaps it's better..........

I do wish MS would stop sending me messages telling me to book my Windows 10 though.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I would not go as far as steering clear but I also wouldn't be in any rush. There will be many initial problems and updates so if you have a stable Windows 7 then no rush to change. I had two win8. machines and a slowing windows 7 one plus the ability to restore the previous image of the hard drive if things failed.