The end is finally nigh!

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
TGS

The end is finally nigh!

Post by TGS »

Hello everybody!

After a flurry of posts months ago our purchase of Westpoint Apartments in West Bay, Dorset massively stalled (not my fault I promise). it has been an extraordinarily stressful August but we drum roll please.. exchange on monday and complete next Friday the 28th. 95% booked for Sept. A bit gutted about losing August tbh.

In a nutshell, I've got to move Friday, do 3 changeovers Saturday and get my head around the whole thing.

Obviously I'm prioritising, a glass of Prosecco and LMH of course.

I've spent the last 2 months helping with the c/o and lurking on here, talking to people and making timeline plans etc..

Although I feel (gulp) fairly mentally on top (my lists have lists), what in your opinion are the 'essentials' for the day to day running of self catering apartments?

I'd like the bleeding obvious and the abstract please. I feel like I'm missing something super important.

Each topic forum on here has its counter part in the business I'm taking over and everything needs my attention. It's very easy to allow my day dreaming to focus on the more enjoyable aspects coming up (like just staring at the sea through the windows) but I could do with some cold hard reality - could this weekend at the end of the season have you any more than usual ready with the reality for me?

I feel truly blessed to have found you all and have quoted at length to my nearest and dearest some of the advice and stories I've found on here.

My OH is 'an expert' at everything and he takes your collective wisdom as gospel. Result!! You are making my life easier on many, many levels! :D

All the best

TGS x
Flying by the seat of my pants.
Greenacre

Post by Greenacre »

As another virgin holiday let owner with my first booking yet to come, I just wish you the very best of luck and hope it all goes brilliantly for you!
TGS

Post by TGS »

Thank you Greenacre. I'm sure you'll get bookings soon. Fingers crossed for decent weather Sept/Oct - and people spontaneously wanting a week away. :-)
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I was just wondering how it was all going, TGS! Heart in mouth time, eh?

I'm not sure any of us are going to be able to answer your question though, other than to say 'read the forum' or being even more helpful :wink: , how long's a piece of string?
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

Hope it all goes well and if you have missed anything and there are hiccups my one piece of advice would be keep smiling, well when in front of your guests, :D
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
enid

Post by enid »

Give your clients the accommodation you would be happy to pay for. Youll learn as you go along and, as you say, by sharing on LMH. You won't please all the people all of the time but I'm sure you'll be fine as you obviously are prepared to take advice. Good luck!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Make sure there's a corkscrew in the property.
Plus a spare.
That's the thought that had me waking up in a cold sweat at the time of our first guests.........

Then pretty much as barbersdrove says: if there's a real issue of some sort raised by your guests, listen, empathise, resolve.
If it's something you've missed, they've genuinely done you a favour by telling you.
If they're complaining because they were expecting a year's supply of loo rolls despite what it might say in your arrival notes etc, listen, sympathise (they're hard of thinking) and await further suggestions from LMH....... (my suggestion isn't suitable reading for a Sunday morning).

The rest will follow.......
As to further advice, what can one say? I remember many years ago in a galaxy far, far away (I think it was Basingstoke) my job included giving week long training presentations to paying Customers, and I'd been doing it for years. A colleague was about to do his first and was unsurprisingly nervous about his debut; he asked me for advice. I gave it due thought and gave him the best possible advice I could think of - Before you stand and face the Customers, make sure your flies are done up.
So there you go.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

And get them an egg slicer :wink:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

KathyG wrote:And get them an egg slicer :wink:
And if they're fussy like I had earlier this year, get them a metal colander, a metal spatula/fish slice, a garlic crusher - and make sure your kitchen knives are sharp!

Edited to add:
Sorry - slight thread creep, as usual :lol:

Anyway, you asked about the essentials.
Enid put it very well, try to make each apartment as equipped as you would like to have for your own holidays - this is what we did with our cottage and we have had many comments of "home from home".

You also need to be able to keep calm and prioritise. No point in washing the floor before you've cleaned the oven/cupboards/cutlery drawers/countertops/toaster, etc etc.

With your first ever guests, TELL them they are your first and that you hope you've not forgotten anything but if you have, perhaps they would kindly let you know. Our first guests were brilliant and helped us a lot. Show your human side (caring and doing your best) - this is why they booked with you rather than some anonymous chain hotel.
Last edited by PW in Polemi on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

My advice is to be honest with your guests - if there are any hiccups tell them that their your first guests and you're still learning the ropes and any feedback they give you will be very much appreciated. Then actively listen to anything they have to say and, where practical, act on it straight away.

If you come across as caring about their experience and willing to put right any problems then you are likely to get them on your side. Ask their opinions every chance you get and you'll start to get a feel for what people are looking for in your part of the market.

Most importantly, after they've left, ask for feedback, and again, let them know that you're new to this and how valuable their opinions are (who could resist responding?).

Act on any minor suggestions (and let them know) and sit on any major ones - if you get lots of people asking for a particular facility or service then consider it, but if only one person asks for a hot tub/laundry service/on-site chef/etc. then it's probably not critical.

I suppose what I'm saying is that you'll learn as much from your guests as from LMH.

Good luck and enjoy the process :D
Edited to say crossed posts with PW, sorry about the repetition!
Last edited by Joanna on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Good luck and good advice. I agree with Joanna...always be honest and treat people fairly. Holidays are precious so give good value for money.

You will inevitably have the disrespectful ones but I hope it is some way away and you get to enjoy wonderful feedback as well as happy holidaymakers.

It really is a learning experience, so don't beat yourself up in the early days.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
aasta

Post by aasta »

Best of Luck!!! And if you take into consideration all the great advice found here....you´ll be off to a great start!!! LMH was a god-send for us!!!
aasta
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Having opened at the end of the season, my advice would be not to make any judgements about anything until you have completed a full year's rental. I opened my second cottage at the end of August too. Two years on, I'm still adapting/improving/reinvesting into the property. It takes time to feel that you've got it just right. Good luck and enjoy.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Great advice above :D

When we started out as well as the visitor book, we provided a small notebook and asked guests to make suggestions ( we worded it carefully so we made no promises) of anything else they would like us to provide. We had some really good suggestions at first and acted on them.

The book is still there but nothing is written in it now. The last entry was asking for a grapefruit knife which we quickly sourced.

Your guests will be pleased to be asked for suggestions and it will help to quickly become established as owners who genuinely care about what their guests need to have an enjoyable holiday. All good PR.
TGS

Post by TGS »

That is all wise, wonderful and funny advice. Many thank you's my friends.

I can also give myself advice after today. Never, EVER go to Ikea in Southampton on a wet and rainy Sunday in August.

Nearly 3 hours to get there, 45 mins queuing for meatballs (which gave my OH heartburn) and we've come home with a few lampshades, some scissors and an iPad stand.. lol!

I love the idea of the notebook. I imagine the first suggestion I'll write to myself.. Remove the carpet from the ensuite bathroom floors ASAP!

Just off to reread all your previous posts on card payment solutions... :D