Disappointing AirBNB cancellation policy

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
French Cricket

Re: Disappointing AirBNB cancellation policy

Post by French Cricket »

greenbarn wrote: Worth remembering perhaps how AirbnB started - as Airbed and Breakfast, a means to find a room with maybe an inflatable mattress and a bit of toast in the morning for travellers on a very tight budget. I thought they'd made real strides to shed that image and move into the mainstream holiday rental business, (albeit with short city breaks as their most likely market) but this episode suggests the opposite.
Yes, I think a lot of people forget - or maybe don't know - that, GB. In their early days they were just one step up from Couchsurfing - iirc they set up to be couchsurfing with fees, and then they absorbed Couchsurfing altogether. I liked Couchsurfing - it was a great way for travellers to get to meet people in different cultures, and it was based on a real exchange between host and guest.

ABB have replaced that exchange with money, but in so many ways they haven't moved on from the couchsurfing ethic, and their T&C are still those appropriate to those just letting a spare bed or a shared room. I'm not sure that they're still run by amateurs, but - and I know some will disagree - I believe that they're run for amateurs, not for those who are letting as a business.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

apexblue wrote:Started a conversation with AirBnB on their FB page about this if you want to add your comments.
Which one? There seem to be loads! I posted on the AirBnB Hosts page about it this morning.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
la vache!

Re: Disappointing AirBNB cancellation policy

Post by la vache! »

[quote="French Cricket"I'm not sure that they're still run by amateurs, but - and I know some will disagree - I believe that they're run for amateurs, not for those who are letting as a business.[/quote]
Well, I disagree! I've had a lot more bookings from them than other commission only websites I advertise on. But then I've only been running my business for 13 years so am clearly just an amateur.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

You most certainly aren't, LV!

But what I meant was that that their T&C just don't take into account the fact that people like you - and spicy - are running a business. Hence spicy's issue.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Well it's easy for ABNB to give away someone else's money when there is no consequences to themselves other than a bit of commission. Expecting hosts to act as insurance companies is outrageous IMO. I just don't understand how they think their decision can be reasonable. It just makes a mockery of having a contract. I would not let this drop if it were me. :evil:

Much sympathy Spicykebab
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Bunny wrote:Well it's easy for ABNB to give away someone else's money when there is no consequences to themselves other than a bit of commission. Expecting hosts to act as insurance companies is outrageous IMO. I just don't understand how they think their decision can be reasonable. It just makes a mockery of having a contract. I would not let this drop if it were me. :evil:

Much sympathy Spicykebab
Am so glad I didn't get involved with ABNB - this is outrageous. That's what holiday insurance is for!
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

As LV said in another thread, Airbnb seem to be implying that they will expect the guest to lose half their money (AND not have the place they had chosen available) if the host has a similar mishap/illness/bereavement which are counted as "extenuating circumstances". Really?? Do we really believe that? I think they are just implying that because they want to appear to be all things to all men and treat everyone equally.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I wonder how a guest would react if told the accommodation he had booked and paid for was no longer available because the owner was ill, and no refund was possible. Which is what AirBnB are implying by their conditions :?:
(posted in the wrong thread ealier!) :oops: :oops:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

la vache! wrote:I wonder how a guest would react if told the accommodation he had booked and paid for was no longer available because the owner was ill, and no refund was possible. Which is what AirBnB are implying by their conditions :?:
It's the point I was trying to make earlier in the thread, and ties in with FC's comment that AirbnB is run for amateurs - except there's a lot of professionals using it now. In common with all the other big US sites, AirbnB haven't tried to understand the market they're (now) in.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

la vache! wrote:I wonder how a guest would react if told the accommodation he had booked and paid for was no longer available because the owner was ill, and no refund was possible. Which is what AirBnB are implying by their conditions :?:
No guest would ever let that lie. They would be furious, and rightly so. I expect they would take ABNB to the small claims court and would probably win.

The whole situation is immoral IMO. I just hope Spicykebab can hold his/her nerve and stand up to them.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I've come in late to this discussion, and I think its probably not airBnb policy, but a very poor implementation by one ill-trained "trip experience team" member.

I certainly would not accept this and would escalate the issue to a properly trained exec at airBnb.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Essar

Post by Essar »

AB have this well covered in their cancellation T&Cs and what they have done is within their jurisdiction.

However, the fact they state elsewhere that they are merely payment agents of the host and any cancellation terms stipulated by the host will always apply does contradict their Extenuating Circumstances clause.

As stated elsewhere this is probably an agent not checking that the guest has insurance to cover for a cancellation, so, merely granting the refund based on a sick note.

This is really not acceptable for business hosts.

I am glad that I block off the main season on AB and only use them for short breaks.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

I imagine it won't be long until ABB introduce insurance for both guests and owners for such events... or am i being too cynical? :)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

This and the other incident publicised this week....plus some of what tinylandlord alluded to (yes amongst the rant I did pick up a few points) has made me very very wary of using ABnB.

More and more bad publicity is starting to occur. Maybe the company has grown too fast without considering that their core accommodation provider has changed.
After all....there is a big difference between renting out a room for extra dosh and running a professional business. The model is completely different.

Perhaps also, their client base has changed. Original user probably spent small amounts travelling to various places for short periods (hence couch surfing) but now people are using the site for full on holidays.....therefore travel insurance is expected.

Personally I think it is a disgrace how you've been treated spicykebab. I would it fight tooth and nail....and if I hit the brick wall many seem to experience, then I would go to the press.
Interestingly it seems to be a time of tearing them down rather than building them up in the press and social media. ..so I hope that works to your advantage.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

la vache! wrote:I wonder how a guest would react if told the accommodation he had booked and paid for was no longer available because the owner was ill, and no refund was possible. Which is what AirBnB are implying by their conditions
From a media exposure standpoint that might be the area to highlight. IANAL, but it seems that AirbnB are attempting to impose conditions on an individual that remove some of the individual's rights under contract law? Which AFAIK is simply not lawful.

The same can perhaps be said of the reverse situation, but I suspect it blurs slightly depending on whether the "host" is regarded as a business or an individual - it's not quite such a stark situation to present to Daily Mail readers, even if it's essential to owners.