Disappointing AirBNB cancellation policy

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

e-richard wrote:I've come in late to this discussion, and I think its probably not airBnb policy, but a very poor implementation by one ill-trained "trip experience team" member.

I certainly would not accept this and would escalate the issue to a properly trained exec at airBnb.
+1 Def not Airtbnb policy but you can get some rogue CS agents. If you read the host forums on Airbnb this sort thing seems to happens occasionally and the can be changed if the host pushes back hard.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

How did this play out? I'd be interested to know if you got this reversed - it's certainly making me think twice about AirBNB
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

edinburgh wrote:How did this play out? I'd be interested to know if you got this reversed - it's certainly making me think twice about AirBNB
I agree. It's very worrying especially as ABNB seem intent in dominating the market. I was open to using them more and opening up my calendar dates further ahead, but this has seriously make me baulk.
Jonathan

Re: Disappointing AirBNB cancellation policy

Post by Jonathan »

la vache! wrote:
greenbarn wrote: They don't fit my market profile and I wouldn't have used them for that reason; now I have rather more important reasons for not using them.
Interesting - without exception all the AirBnB guests I've had have fit the profile of other guests I receive, i.e. middle classish, well educated, very nice cars etc.
Me too

Jonathan
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've only had one ABB booking, guests were pretty much the same as any others I have.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

As a Super Host on AirBnB thought I may have some clout but no.

No way round this. There was a stretch of the conditions to 30 and 60 days cancellation refund by invitation but this has been withdrawn.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
brightmike

Post by brightmike »

I totally agree that the risk for cancellation should be with the guest and if they can't accept that risk they should get insurance.

However this is ABB policy, no point us moaning about it. We are running a business and therefore also need to look at risk levels.

A very simple solution is to try to calculate the risk e.g. 1 in 20 may cancel with you receiving no money. I'm guessing this is overstating the risk but lets use that figure as an example. You therefore spread that risk within the ABB community. i.e. you put up you price 5% on ABB compared to your website, other listing sites. You are then self-insuring against a cancellation.

If your only other option is to withdraw from ABB then your have nothing to loose by upping your prices.
Our property website can be found by looking at our profile.
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

brightmike wrote:I totally agree that the risk for cancellation should be with the guest and if they can't accept that risk they should get insurance.

However this is ABB policy, no point us moaning about it. We are running a business and therefore also need to look at risk levels.

A very simple solution is to try to calculate the risk e.g. 1 in 20 may cancel with you receiving no money. I'm guessing this is overstating the risk but lets use that figure as an example. You therefore spread that risk within the ABB community. i.e. you put up you price 5% on ABB compared to your website, other listing sites. You are then self-insuring against a cancellation.

If your only other option is to withdraw from ABB then your have nothing to loose by upping your prices.
Wise approach Mike.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Robin @ One Spring wrote: A very simple solution is to try to calculate the risk e.g. 1 in 20 may cancel with you receiving no money. I'm guessing this is overstating the risk but lets use that figure as an example. You therefore spread that risk within the ABB community. i.e. you put up you price 5% on ABB compared to your website, other listing sites. You are then self-insuring against a cancellation.
I already do this. ABB is high risk to me due to their policies. If people can cancel so easily, they will.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

kevsboredagain wrote: I already do this. ABB is high risk to me due to their policies. If people can cancel so easily, they will.
But the guest had to provide proof from the hospital of the illness, so I don't think all guests would find it easy to get the full refund instead of the other refund percentages that AirBnB has in place.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

la vache! wrote:
kevsboredagain wrote: I already do this. ABB is high risk to me due to their policies. If people can cancel so easily, they will.
But the guest had to provide proof from the hospital of the illness, so I don't think all guests would find it easy to get the full refund instead of the other refund percentages that AirBnB has in place.
So AirBnb are behaving like a diligent loss adjuster on behalf of the owner.

The point remains though that AirBnb are expecting the owner to be the insurance underwriter. All underwriters that I know, charge a premium for their policies. OK, in this case the premium is quite small because the likelihood of a payout is quite low, but its still greater than zero and greater than other listing site policies.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
waterwitch

Post by waterwitch »

Gosh this is shocking policy off Airbnb.

My own opinion has always been they are not quite the fit for holiday rentals but given the potential for huge commission revenue compared to the odd night's stay in a spare room, they want the business!

It's the guests responsibility to have travel insurance - we all know that and who is to say they didn't have it in any case.

On the other foot, I had experience of a guest wanting a refund as they made a booking by mistake - I explained they needed to get in touch with Airbnb, only for one of their operatives to call me up (I was still in bed on a Sunday morning) directing me to cancel the booking my end and I wouldn't be penalised! How accommodating of them!

I only accept late bookings off this site now.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

AirBnB like other very large highly capitalized wannabe gatekeepers seem to think they already have a stranglehold on the market.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

la vache! wrote:
I've only been with the site for 2 years and had as many cancellations as bookings. All have been well in advance so I have not lost any money yet but it does happen more often than anywhere where else I list.
lorca

Re: Disappointing AirBNB cancellation policy

Post by lorca »

la vache! wrote:
greenbarn wrote: They don't fit my market profile and I wouldn't have used them for that reason; now I have rather more important reasons for not using them.
Interesting - without exception all the AirBnB guests I've had have fit the profile of other guests I receive, i.e. middle classish, well educated, very nice cars etc.
Us too - although I can't comment on the cars :wink: as most guests fly here (apart from the French). Mostly professionals and academics (all ages, from various parts of the world)

I'm not keen on all of their policies either, but find them no worse than most of the other big sites and more professional than some. We get a large proportion of our guests from them now. Gone are the days when most came via our own website sadly - thanks to MrGoogle re-jigging their bl***y algorithms.

PS - rather nervous about the thought of being judged by the state of our car :oops:. Never been a Jeremy Clarkson fan and any spare cash tends to go on something tastier....It just needs to be able to cope with the hills and the mango harvest and the occasional trip of our own.
If not now, when?