Display iCal feed on website?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Vince

Post by Vince »

e-richard wrote:Vince, you could at least delete your duplicate copies of those links :wink:
I was tempted, but I'm feeling mean today ;)
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Vince wrote:
Can you remove these links please, lots of lovely juicy information that I'm sure your guests wouldn't like to be shared.

Edit : You delete yours and I'll delete mine :D
Actually, those calendars were not mine, just random examples I found on Google. But I've deleted them anyway.

It raises an interesting point though. All of these calendars are publicly available to anyone who cares to look. In the examples I removed (from VRBO and HA) guest's names (and in one case their email addresses) were included in the 'summary' section of the ICS file. This is obviously not desirable. I'm not a VRBO user so I have no idea if that summary field is controlled by VRBO or if it is the owner who put those details in there. If it is the owner then perhaps VRBO and HA should remind owners that the 'summary' is publicly viewable information.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

e-richard wrote:Perhaps we celebrate too soon. Has anybody actually looked at the .ics file from Airbnb ?

I looked at mine and it only contains one (apparently random) booking from April 2015, which was not even placed through AB. It does, however import successfully and all my bookings are faithfully reproduced in their online calendar.

The export seems flawed :cry:

I'd be interested to know if others see anything different
I have had one issue with a booking from PIMS that has not exported successfully. It is for 2-9th Jan and shows in ABB as 5th-9th.
Vince

Post by Vince »

DaveT wrote:
It raises an interesting point though. All of these calendars are publicly available to anyone who cares to look. In the examples I removed (from VRBO and HA) guest's names (and in one case their email addresses) were included in the 'summary' section of the ICS file. This is obviously not desirable.
As an interesting coincidence, I've just recently written iCal code for Jomres, and my users have asked if it's possible to do feeds. For exactly the same reason as you state, I've declined to produce feeds, as yet. Perhaps what's needed is an anonymised feed instead.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

What is so earth shatteringly insecure about knowing that a party called Mullins is on holiday from 16th June 2016 - 23rd June 2016?
I cannot even tell you which country Mr or Mrs Mullins is coming from, or even whether she is a he or a Miss :?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

e-richard wrote:What is so earth shatteringly insecure about knowing that a party called Mullins is on holiday from 16th June 2016 - 23rd June 2016?
I cannot even tell you which country Mr or Mrs Mullins is coming from, or even whether she is a he or a Miss :?
I think the point is that owners are probably unaware that the information is available to the public. In one example the owner had also put the customer's email address in that field. Email addresses are considered personal data under the DPA (and, I imagine, under equivalent legislation in most countries). Failing to protect that information is therefore a compliance issue.
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Vince wrote:Perhaps what's needed is an anonymised feed instead.
Could you simply replace the content of the 'SUMMARY: blah blah' part of the file with 'SUMMARY:RESERVED'?
964kevin

Post by 964kevin »

I use a calendar from code canyon, on my website, but for HL OD etc, use the Free2Book ical and export that to the other advertising sites.

http://codecanyon.net/item/booking-cale ... gin/244645

it has a separate front and back, so you can keep bookings and prices off radar so to speak.

Maybe of use to someone...
http://www.encantada-vacation.com

Our little piece of Florida, never get tired of being there. Love it and the people to bits.
Vince

Post by Vince »

DaveT wrote:
Vince wrote:Perhaps what's needed is an anonymised feed instead.
Could you simply replace the content of the 'SUMMARY: blah blah' part of the file with 'SUMMARY:RESERVED'?
Yes, of course, and I've already added the feature.