Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners


 
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Cost of Solar Pool Cover
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index -> Managing your garden and pool
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ianthy



Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Posts: 520
Location: Bologna, Italy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Cost of Solar Pool Cover Reply with quote

Hi

Just starting to get quotes to order a Solar pool cover. I posted earlier in the year (sorry I can't find the post) that we wanted to upgrade our villa offer and one of the areas was pool heating. After doing research we want to try a low tech solution first before doing anything more technical involving the pump or solar panels etc.,

Our pool is 6x12 metres and we have a quote for a Geo Bubble Sol + Guard, 180 Super Deluxe at a cost of 850 inclu del to Italy plus a Free Standing Atlas roller (for covers up to 6.1m wide) will cost 500.

It seems pricey. Please can anyone comment if these prices can be bettered or recommend a company that will supply to Italy.

Thks for reading.
_________________
Ianthy
---------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/StylishApartmentDubaiMarina
https://www.facebook.com/Ruspiano
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zingara



Joined: 09 Apr 2013
Posts: 604
Location: Antibes, PACA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use poolstore.co.uk for my supplies (in the UK)...I suspect they might well ship to Italy (one can but ask).
Have a look at their site : you can enter your pool measurements for a quote on the Geobubble covers (but check comparable) : seem cheaper for the higher quality they do.
Rollers: again, they have a selection : see how they compare.

I'm sure Teapot will be along with his suggestions, too (which may be more relevant)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ianthy



Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Posts: 520
Location: Bologna, Italy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

removed.
_________________
Ianthy
---------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/StylishApartmentDubaiMarina
https://www.facebook.com/Ruspiano


Last edited by ianthy on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gardenboy



Joined: 02 Jul 2011
Posts: 247

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in spain & paid c 300e for my pool cover. It adds 2 degrees to the water temp, the solar heating a further 6 degrees.

The roller was c 400e from memory, it's over 10 years old.

Top tip - cover your cover with white cloth & sail ties, I got an old duvet cut & sewed to make a wrap round cover, or the sun will eat the cover when it's rolled up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kevsboredagain



Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 3209
Location: France

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine disintegrated in 3 years, the kids ruined the roller by climbing on it, probably to dive in the pool and guests never used it so had no effect on waters temps unless I was staying there myself. Didn't replace it.
_________________
www.samoensalpineholiday.com
www.websiteproud.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ianthy



Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Posts: 520
Location: Bologna, Italy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zingara wrote:
I use poolstore.co.uk for my supplies (in the UK)...I suspect they might well ship to Italy (one can but ask).
Have a look at their site : you can enter your pool measurements for a quote on the Geobubble covers (but check comparable) : seem cheaper for the higher quality they do.
Rollers: again, they have a selection : see how they compare.

I'm sure Teapot will be along with his suggestions, too (which may be more relevant)


Hi Zingara
I just checked Poolstore site and the cost is 856.00 plus delivery for the cover, leading edge finish, stand and cover for the stand when not in use. Less than half what we have been quoted. I have just asked them for the cost of del to Italy.
Thks
_________________
Ianthy
---------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/StylishApartmentDubaiMarina
https://www.facebook.com/Ruspiano


Last edited by ianthy on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teapot



Joined: 23 Oct 2013
Posts: 807
Location: Loire valley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianthy wrote:
Zingara wrote:
I use poolstore.co.uk for my supplies (in the UK)...I suspect they might well ship to Italy (one can but ask).
Have a look at their site : you can enter your pool measurements for a quote on the Geobubble covers (but check comparable) : seem cheaper for the higher quality they do.
Rollers: again, they have a selection : see how they compare.

I'm sure Teapot will be along with his suggestions, too (which may be more relevant)


Hi Zingara
I just checked Poolstore site and the cost is a staggering 576.00 plus delivery. Less than half what we have been quoted. I have just asked them for the cost of del to Italy.
Thks


Mind if I cross check that for you? 12m x 6m rectangle with no fancy steps etc? Do you want it hemmed or just plain cut? Some idea of the post code for delivery as Italy is quite big and costs vary.
_________________
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ianthy



Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Posts: 520
Location: Bologna, Italy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teapot wrote:
ianthy wrote:
Zingara wrote:
I use poolstore.co.uk for my supplies (in the UK)...I suspect they might well ship to Italy (one can but ask).
Have a look at their site : you can enter your pool measurements for a quote on the Geobubble covers (but check comparable) : seem cheaper for the higher quality they do.
Rollers: again, they have a selection : see how they compare.

I'm sure Teapot will be along with his suggestions, too (which may be more relevant)


Hi Zingara
I just checked Poolstore site and the cost is a staggering 576.00 plus delivery. Less than half what we have been quoted. I have just asked them for the cost of del to Italy.
Thks


Mind if I cross check that for you? 12m x 6m rectangle with no fancy steps etc? Do you want it hemmed or just plain cut? Some idea of the post code for delivery as Italy is quite big and costs vary.


Sure. I just checked the items again. I have included the factory fitted leading edge kit, we have 3 steps into the pool but it does not affect the overall shape of the rectangle pool. Plus a stand/roller and a cover for when the stand/cover are not in use. Just checked again and the price is actually 856. Still seems reasonable. Waiting for the price of delivery to Bologna area.
_________________
Ianthy
---------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/StylishApartmentDubaiMarina
https://www.facebook.com/Ruspiano
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dusty



Joined: 19 Dec 2012
Posts: 301
Location: St Cernin de Labarde, Dordogne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have just paid 577 euros for a 13x6m pool with a 3m dia circle at one end for the roman steps. This was for 400micron thick, trimmed all the way round with a protection cover for when the covers stored on the roller.

Cash Piscine was a little more expensive, but delivery didn't suit was much longer.

We reckon it adds about 2 deg to the pool temp, more if it was left on during the day, but the guests keep wanting to swim Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Zingara



Joined: 09 Apr 2013
Posts: 604
Location: Antibes, PACA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst (as far as I'm aware) we don't have the problem of children climbing on the roller etc, I agree with Kev that the guests often can't be bothered to put it on / take it off each day.
It may focus their minds that, if they heat the pool, it may cost them more if they don't put the cover on at night (which really helps retain the heat).
This is particularly true in the shoulder seasons, and even with a pool heater, we would be hard pushed to maintain a swimmable temperature in February/March (in S of France) unless we put the cover on.
Our UK pool is only 15m x 5, and we have one of their least expensive rollers. It has lasted well, however I might look at a more sturdy one next time, as the cover is quite a weight to roll as it gets towards the end.
I think a cover is useful to retain heat, and may contribute a small amount to overall water temperature, but is probably best combined with an source of heating, for maximum effect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teapot



Joined: 23 Oct 2013
Posts: 807
Location: Loire valley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our guests are simply told the temperature of the water is their affair, use of the cover will make it more pleasant. Ours do use the cover and one regular questioned where it had gone one year after a rip, we had removed it.

There are budding Nadia Comaneci's so a small warning is in the house guide so far so good.
The longer (wider) rollers are in sections about 2.5m long so if possible getting a wider roller and sliding more of the sections inside will considerably strengthen the roller should you have a gymnast staying.

A cover is a definite source of heat retention and if it's clear it will also contribute a considerable amount to the heating of the water during the day. Obviously for use outside of the normal season a heater is the preferable option as is an insulated pool structure, something to always consider.
_________________
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bornintheuk



Joined: 12 Jun 2011
Posts: 451
Location: Southern Charente

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 17 yrs of renting and supplying a pool cover then the people who decide to use it do not bother to cover it when rolled up and therefore it degrades with sun exposure. No matter how many times you ask it makes no difference as its not their cost to replace.
Its for this reason we have not invested in the better designed and quality of Geobubble type covers.
_________________
What would Plato do ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teapot



Joined: 23 Oct 2013
Posts: 807
Location: Loire valley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been improvements in the UV resistance over the years. It's those nasty thin ones that give such a bad reputation.

The shape of the Geobubble means it's about 50% thicker in the weak spots of ordinary covers and as they are curves and not corners they are much stronger anyway.

When the water restrictions in in force I do explain that the pool must be covered when not in use and so far to my knowledge all the guest happily complied. We have lovely guests.
_________________
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kevsboredagain



Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 3209
Location: France

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teapot wrote:

The longer (wider) rollers are in sections about 2.5m long so if possible getting a wider roller and sliding more of the sections inside will considerably strengthen the roller should you have a gymnast staying.



Yes, that was my problem. My pool is nearly 7m wide at one end and only 4m wide at the other (a really weird shape!) so a wide roller was required and there was not a huge overlap in the sections. Enough for the weight of the cover but as the roller had to be placed at the deep end, it couldn't cope with being used as a diving platform.

Due to the irregular shape of the pool, it also was not simple to unroll.

I also felt it was a big danger to kids. Even if they could swim, it would be so dangerous if they fell onto a floating cover. You'll find plenty of Youtube videos showing kids trying to run across the covers.
_________________
www.samoensalpineholiday.com
www.websiteproud.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
teapot



Joined: 23 Oct 2013
Posts: 807
Location: Loire valley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevsboredagain wrote:


I also felt it was a big danger to kids. Even if they could swim, it would be so dangerous if they fell onto a floating cover. You'll find plenty of Youtube videos showing kids trying to run across the covers.


In theory the required pool security in France should be there to safe guard the pool but obviously if you have a security cover it won't be in place when the solar cover is on so reliance on an alarm or gate and of course with parental supervision Confused

The pool covers for free form shapes are always tricky. I worked on one L shaped pool that had two electric covers perpendicular to close over the L. Now I have two electric covers Laughing
_________________
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index -> Managing your garden and pool All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group