Stained Bed Linen

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

lorca wrote: Your guests are not the enemy. On the whole they're just decent, ordinary people wanting a hassle-free holiday.
+1, it is very important to remember this. They are also PAYING guests, who maybe have one holiday a year and want to enjoy it.
A quick question (although I disagree completely about you not refunding the deposit) but you did itemize everything and not just withhold all of the deposit without specifying costs?
And please try the K2 mousse (not liquid) it really is effective in removing stains.
Fifi

Post by Fifi »

Just a thought re the bath plug, why not just replace it with an old-fashioned rubber one on a chain (Mr Bric has all the sizes you can imagine for less than 5 euros). We had to do this when the admittedly very flimsy pully uppy downy one broke. No-one has commented - after all the plug exists to keep the water in the bath, it is not an objet d'art ..... It didn't cross my mind to charge the people who broke it, just one of those things!
People who arrive after 10pm, shouldn't expect a hug.....
teapot

Post by teapot »

This K2 Mouse sounds like it should be on my shopping list just in case, who stocks it please?

Even washed in stains can benefit from a soak in hydrogen peroxide (hair bleach, Ace etc) this won't weaken the fabric like chlorine bleach.

Regarding the plug, my view is that it was going to fail because it wasn't up to the job it just depends when and in this case it happened to a guest who had other problems.
LaPayre are always a pain for spares, they are box shifters and small parts for taps, and other plumbing bits. Buy something else, basic Wirquin catalogue out €5.55 for a plain plug €28 for a "Clic Clac" €15.90 for a pop up like you have now. The usual reason for the separation of the working parts on the bung is the locknut is not done up tight enough and the screw comes out.

It's the blackmail aspect of the tone of the guests so how about reversing that play?

Yes Mr Guest, things do happen and we were upset as the linen was new and you were the first person to use it. Please go and post your review and then I will refund your deposit, think carefully what you write.
The second letter with the inconsequential add on complaints is just a smoke screen let it pass by it's rubbish.

Gosh, the response from others shows just how good LMH is, just received an email from the guests last week expecting a deduction for the plate he broke! We don't make deductions for minor things like that I told them, it would ruin your holiday memories, "stuff happens" just come back and visit us again we said.
We are blessed, so please don't fall out with your troublesome guests as we don't want them looking at out cottage :lol:
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Any supermarket stocks K2 Mousse, teapot - it's with the other stain removal stuff like Vanish.

These days I use percarbonate of soda for stain removal - it's a very concentrated powder that releases hydrogen peroxide and soda - it's the main ingredient in oxygen bleach, but without the phosphates and other nasties. I find it quite brilliant. It's also quite cheap - I pay around 5 euros for a 1kg bag, in our local bio-coop.
teapot

Post by teapot »

French Cricket wrote:Any supermarket stocks K2 Mousse, teapot - it's with the other stain removal stuff like Vanish.

These days I use percarbonate of soda for stain removal - it's a very concentrated powder that releases hydrogen peroxide and soda - it's the main ingredient in oxygen bleach, but without the phosphates and other nasties. I find it quite brilliant. It's also quite cheap - I pay around 5 euros for a 1kg bag, in our local bio-coop.
That is pretty much whats in Vanish :wink:

K2 Mouse :lol: sounds like a rock climber :oops:
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Yes, but Vanish has lots of fillers and unnecessary chemicals as well!
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

Fifi wrote:Just a thought re the bath plug, why not just replace it with an old-fashioned rubber one on a chain (Mr Bric has all the sizes you can imagine for less than 5 euros). We had to do this when the admittedly very flimsy pully uppy downy one broke. No-one has commented - after all the plug exists to keep the water in the bath, it is not an objet d'art ..... It didn't cross my mind to charge the people who broke it, just one of those things!
I dislike the French bath/basin plugs and changed most of mine to rubber. They are cheaper to buy online (Amazon) than Leroy Merlin and i keep stock of different sizes because on occasions they have disappeared.
I cant comment on the sheets as we have a laundry service but personally i wouldn't charge for the broken plug.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Any supermarket stocks K2 Mousse, teapot - it's with the other stain removal stuff like Vanish.
I bring a tin home with me, gets rid of red wine like nothing else.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

HelenB wrote:
I bring a tin home with me, gets rid of red wine like nothing else.
Helen, you've never seen me with a bottle of red wine.......... :wink:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

GB :lol: :lol: :lol:
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

Also you do need to give the stain remover time to do its work. What ever you use

Mr VT is "king of the stains". His suggestion for blood stains is milk. Diluted with COLD water if you must but leave for hours. Better before you wash it for the first time but will work afterwards as well.

We currently have 3 white cotton sheets with "unidentifiable" stains in a bucket with that Vanish white stuff and they have been in soak for 36 hours so far. If asked Mr VT will say " a bit longer"

It is all a part of the job and an art that must be learned. Stains will happen so better get used to it.

And no we wouldnt (and dont) charge for this.
teapot

Post by teapot »

vacancesthezan wrote:Also you do need to give the stain remover time to do its work. What ever you use

Mr VT is "king of the stains". His suggestion for blood stains is milk. Diluted with COLD water if you must but leave for hours. Better before you wash it for the first time but will work afterwards as well.
Could be the forerunner to biological washing powder, the bacteria in the milk will digest the proteins in the blood? Maybe natural live yogurt would do the same but maybe quicker.

A product I feel I should mention as a recent find in Mr Bricolage is
Jaques Briochin "Le Super Decapant" (black trigger spray bottle)

Apart from bits of the car I use this on, Great on aluminium wheels! and all other greasy things. It works well to remove soap scum etc from shower screens, just have to get rid of the calcaire rings 5mm dia with maybe some white vinegar. Top product!
aasta

Post by aasta »

Ditto to the comments and suggestions here....
and it can not be stressed enough how important it is to inspect and then treat sheets before putting into machine. Best to tackle stains as soon as possible before they have had time to set. Easiest to inspect for stains while sheets/duvets are still spread out on bed....we ask guests not to strip beds.....

Ditto to precarbonato di sodio....which in very stubborn cases I mix with straight peroxide and Fairy Liquid (only thing I use Fairy Liquid for) into a paste and scrub for several minutes with scrub brush.....then let soak and wash at 60 degrees....as other have said leaning to deal with stains is part of the job!!! We have managed to get our all stains except once new duvet looked like it had been subjected to a bleach treatment with large blotches...we decided that it must have been hair dye and were annoyed but accepted it is as part of this business` overhead....would never ask guests to pay for sheets/duvets

have also replaced various styles of plugs with simple rubber ones....except for the occasional one getting lost they are very easy maintenance....sometimes Low Tech is just better!!
aasta
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

hi morristhedog. I wouldn't charge for the plug because there is no evidence as to how it got broken. It could just as easily have happened to yourself when cleaning and it may just be the guest's bad luck that it happened when in their use.

With regard to the bedding, we are usually just talking about the occasional sheet, however, if it is several brand new items from just one let, that is a different matter. I presume that if they are from John Lewis then the collective cost to replace them all could be quite considerable. I do feel you would be more justified in charging in this particular case. I'm not sure if I would have charged though, as it appears there is a contributory factor in not checking for stains before washing them, when potentially they could have been saved. Just out of interest, do your T&Cs state that all damages must be paid for? If so, the guest's reaction IMO is unreasonable and his comments about your protocol is judging your actions in comparison to a huge hotel chain with big budgets to cover this sort of thing.

I expect deep down, you are more saddened by the fact that they did not confess to the damage and subsequent denial, and even more by his ultimate hint of blackmail. As a guest I would have owned up and would have offered to pay. When I first started renting I expected everyone would behave the same and was shocked when they didn't. It took me quite a while to accept it and not feel angry. You must do, what you feel is right for your own peace of mind, and sometimes you just have to risk a bad review, but if your T&Cs are clear and he agreed to them, then he has no defense/argument whether he likes it or not.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

+1 to Bunny's comment

I also liked Teapot's comment 're reversing the blackmail comment.

My sympathy to Morristhe dog.

P.S. Morris you were definitely not responsible for th a rave noise.
Fleur