Payment from other country

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
bessie

Payment from other country

Post by bessie »

Please what is the best way to take payment from guest from Canada who does not have PayPal.I will have to return security bond after their stay.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Ase you are an on site owner, can you not take their security deposit in cash on arrival? A thorough check before they leave and you can refund.
They can set up a PP account without too much difficulty.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

Can they not do an online bank transfer using your IBAN and BIC codes?

You can get these from your bank if you don't already know them.
Essar

Post by Essar »

anya752000 wrote:Can they not do an online bank transfer using your IBAN and BIC codes?

You can get these from your bank if you don't already know them.

They will be shown on your paper bank statement and on the home page if you have on-line banking (bank dependent of course).
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Currencyfair or Transferwise might be an option or simply setup a Paypal account. Transfers using IBAN can easily be done but will their bank will charge them. It used to cost me about $25 just to receive money into a US account from the EU so I imagine Canada is similar.
bessie

Post by bessie »

I have a PayPal account but do they need one to pay me
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

bessie wrote:I have a PayPal account but do they need one to pay me
You would expect an easy answer to that but Paypal makes this option depend on several factors including type of account and country. It used to be possible to pay my invoices without an account but last time I tested it, because of a discussion on lmh, an account was going to be created with the info provided for the credit card.
pambon

Post by pambon »

kevsboredagain wrote:Currencyfair or Transferwise might be an option or simply setup a Paypal account. Transfers using IBAN can easily be done but will their bank will charge them. It used to cost me about $25 just to receive money into a US account from the EU so I imagine Canada is similar.
Agree with Kev about using a forex . So much easier.

I recently had a bank transfer from Canada as the guest choose that rather than the forex option and it will cost him an extra 25 Euro when he arrives on Friday as this is what the bank charged for a deposit from which they deducted 12 euro less than what his bank in Canada sent. So this transfer has cost him 37 Euro above his rental rate.
Essar

Post by Essar »

kevsboredagain wrote:
bessie wrote:I have a PayPal account but do they need one to pay me
You would expect an easy answer to that but Paypal makes this option depend on several factors including type of account and country. It used to be possible to pay my invoices without an account but last time I tested it, because of a discussion on lmh, an account was going to be created with the info provided for the credit card.
It seems that the payer only needs to set up a PP account if they in one of the "unverified account countries", the verified ones being USA, Canada & UK (there maybe others). In the verified countries the payer can opt to pay using a credit/debit card. This applied as of July this year, but PP do change stuff regularly.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
petemcveigh

Post by petemcveigh »

I use PayPal quite a bit for overseas payments including Canada (from which i get a good number of guests). I normally send a PayPal invoice which the guest pays using credit or debit card, they do not need to have a PayPal account themselves. I used this method as recently as last week for a Canadian booking.

Pete
" Do I really look like a guy with a plan?"
bessie

Post by bessie »

Thank you all,at last I have managed to send payment request and PayPal finally told me they don't need an account by guest.
Guest happy and me now not looking like I can't accept payments from other countries .At some point I will have this manage holiday cottage yourself licked. :lol:
Guest paid ,now I know what to do in the future,like remember to add the charge. :oops: