What to do when a guest insists damage was not done by them?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

Although we have an honesty jar for damage/breakages, it rarely gets more than small change in it (which is probably for when someone has broken a glass).

We are rarely compensated for damage as we too find that very few guests own up when this occurs.

Due to the risk of getting a bad review if we were to forcibly deduct it from a security deposit, we have decided to go through the actual cost to us of replacing damaged/missing items at the end of each year and see if it is being covered by our linen charge which we have been adding on to Benelux/German bookings since last year.

When I last looked at what we have received so far for our compulsory linen hire, it was €700 so far this year, so I think we are covered with that amount for our yearly damage and maybe will have something left over to go towards wear and tear as well.

The linen charge was originally created by us to cover our time doing the ironing, but we also have a cleaning charge for Benelux/German guests as well, so as long as we know that loss and damage is not eating into the profits, then believe this is a safer route, as it is much less hastle, and there is less risk of retaliatory feedback from guests who then bear a grudge.
Crossways

Post by Crossways »

My last guests have managed to break a divan base from a zip n link bed. They haven't told me, but maybe kids did it and mum didn't know? We are pretty good at fixing things but sadly it's beyond repair, so I have ordered two new divan bases (£150) which are being delivered on Tuesday. The guests that are staying at the moment have been very good about it as one of their children is sleeping on a z bed.
I have had to pay a handy man to move the broken bed into the garage and will have to pay him to put the new beds in the room on changeover day as they will be stored in the garage after delivery to avoid disrupting the present guest.
The loo seat also need attention from the handy man after the last guests left.
I feel nervous about contacting the guest.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

When you do contact them they will be defensive and quite likely deny all knowledge.

If you take a damage deposit then write and explain in a matter of fact manner why you will not be returning the full amount, (if any) to them. I would say to them that you are aware that accidents do happen but this is a very expensive one and it's a shame they didn't let you know.

Good luck. State the facts and don't get into argument dialogue.
Fleur
COYS

Post by COYS »

Fleur wrote:When you do contact them they will be defensive and quite likely deny all knowledge.

If you take a damage deposit then write and explain in a matter of fact manner why you will not be returning the full amount, (if any) to them. I would say to them that you are aware that accidents do happen but this is a very expensive one and it's a shame they didn't let you know.

Good luck. State the facts and don't get into argument dialogue.
Since posting earlier in the thread & almost making it through the season unscathed (sort of) we find ourselves in the exact same situation. A new & expensive sofa, broken & a crude attempt made at concealment. It would take a hell of an impact to snap the part in question & wear/tear is not in question.
By my own admission I don't suffer fools gladly & care not a jot about possible malicious reviewing. The full amount of the damage deposit would no way cover the cost of repair, if indeed it is viable.
Guest blames previous (or earlier occupants) denying all responsibility.
Property manager insists no way it could have been missed on previous change but is definitely & frustratingly from the 'no news is good news' train of thought for most of the year.
A seemingly endless blame game now ensues, making me question again why we bother as the money is largely irrelevant - principles however are not.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Crossways wrote:My last guests have managed to break a divan base from a zip n link bed. They haven't told me, but maybe kids did it and mum didn't know? We are pretty good at fixing things but sadly it's beyond repair, so I have ordered two new divan bases (£150) which are being delivered on Tuesday. The guests that are staying at the moment have been very good about it as one of their children is sleeping on a z bed.
I have had to pay a handy man to move the broken bed into the garage and will have to pay him to put the new beds in the room on changeover day as they will be stored in the garage after delivery to avoid disrupting the present guest.
The loo seat also need attention from the handy man after the last guests left.
I feel nervous about contacting the guest.
I'd suggest taking a step away and looking at the situation from a 3rd party view - purely as a detached observer.

Some questions to consider:
Was the divan base in sound condition and not previously weakened in any way?
Was it fit for purpose? (I don't think that includes being used as a trampoline..... :evil: )
Was the loo seat fully secured, and not loose in any way that could contribute to the need for repair?
Was the damage due to irresponsible behaviour or negligence?
Can you be certain that the damage was caused by these particular guests?

If the answer to all of those is Yes, you're justified in asking for payment for the damage and repairs, less any betterment. That doesn't mean they won't still deny all knowledge of course.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I have ikea cream leather sofas - just wipe them clean.

Re deposit deductions - unless I have 100% photo proof from my video walk round then I am afraid I have to let it go. Most people own up & replace (with the cheapest possible option) & the odd one becomes confrontational.

It's a sad reflection on life I suppose, not everyone is like us. What annoys me is the petty theft that they think will go unnoticed - electric adaptor plugs, pens, books....