Student let - woud you accept?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Bunny

Student let - woud you accept?

Post by Bunny »

I've got an enquiry from a group of students coming from abroad to attend a course via ABNB. It's for a week that I have available shortly so it would be nice to fill it. However, having visited my daughter's hall of residence when she was at uni, it fills me fear. On the other hand they have been honest, when they could have hidden that they were a group of students and I know that not all students are drunken partying people. I've had problems with groups of youngsters before, so I'm naturally cautious. I'm thinking of accepting the booking but laying down the law at the enquiry stage i.e. referring them to the T&Cs about no partying etc. Do you think, this would be verging on offensive when they could easily have no intentions of doing such a thing. Or would you decline the booking altogether? Has anyone had a group of students? :?
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Foreign students are frequently better behaved than British students! :D Where specifically are they from? And when you say 'students' what is the age profile? Students can be of a more mature age.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I would take them with a higher security deposit
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hello Bunny. I have had 2 student groups stay at our cottage (ithe area is a major attraction for geology students).

I took a damage deposit from them (which I don't normally do) and yes you can lay the law down quite firmly but nicely as they are very young. One group did leave the place a bit of a mess and some breakages (although they left behind beer and sweets so the cleaner took these). All in all it just needed extra time to clean. When they realised that I needed to take something out of the damage deposit to pay for the breakages they were more frightened that their parents would find out so it was all very amicable and agreeing everything was not a problem.
The other group we're just fine - no problem.

My groups have been boys as well, girls may be easier. I wouldn't be put off taking more students, but I would speak with them at the time of booking and be very clear that they are not in a hall of resident or student let and be very clear about terms and conditions. Generally they are paying quite a bit for their stay so you hope they will have some idea of standards (this is my optimistic side coming out, or perhaps I am just naive!).
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

+1 with Roxytoo

I had a group of students stay last year. Like yours Bunny, they were upfront about their student-status and explained how difficult it was for them to find accommodation.

I laid the law down, took a bigger deposit than usual, which they accepted, and everything was fine. I would be very, very explicit about your requirements - and explain why - and you will probably be fine. You could say that you have had trouble with student groups before.
Here we go again........
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

One thing worth keeping in mind - others can correct me but I can't think of a legitimate reason you could state for refusing the booking, with the exception that you don't take any single-sex groups (and that obviously only works if they are a single-sex group!). Otherwise you're possibly getting into a situation where you can be accused of discriminating (which includes applying additional conditions eg higher damage deposit) on the grounds of age, which isn't allowed.
So if you do decide against the booking, it will of course be because you're full.

FWIW the first booking we had when we completed our sleeps six was from a mixed group of students - although some I think were a bit older, but still in their twenties. The girl who made the booking was very much in charge and had everyone organised on the morning of departure, and they left the place as good as we could wish for. Identifying the "responsible person" (I know, I know :roll: ) and treating them as such is probably a Good Idea.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Casscat wrote:Foreign students are frequently better behaved than British students! :D Where specifically are they from? And when you say 'students' what is the age profile? Students can be of a more mature age.
They are from a Scandinavian country. They are new to Facebook with no reviews. However, a quick google translate reveals they are trainee teachers, so they must be at least 21 I guess, which is more optimistic. Mind you I used to work with teachers, and that definitely doesn't preclude them from high jinks!
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

rammy100 wrote:+1 with Roxytoo

I had a group of students stay last year. Like yours Bunny, they were upfront about their student-status and explained how difficult it was for them to find accommodation.

I laid the law down, took a bigger deposit than usual, which they accepted, and everything was fine. I would be very, very explicit about your requirements - and explain why - and you will probably be fine. You could say that you have had trouble with student groups before.
+1
The worry is probably people that they may befriend who stay over so i would make it clear no extra guests or parties!!!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Bunny wrote:
Casscat wrote:Foreign students are frequently better behaved than British students! :D Where specifically are they from? And when you say 'students' what is the age profile? Students can be of a more mature age.
They are from a Scandinavian country. They are new to ABNB with no reviews. However, a quick google translate reveals they are trainee teachers, so they must be at least 21 I guess, which is more optimistic. Mind you I used to work with teachers, and that definitely doesn't preclude them from high jinks!
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

greenbarn wrote:One thing worth keeping in mind - others can correct me but I can't think of a legitimate reason you could state for refusing the booking, with the exception that you don't take any single-sex groups (and that obviously only works if they are a single-sex group!). Otherwise you're possibly getting into a situation where you can be accused of discriminating (which includes applying additional conditions eg higher damage deposit) on the grounds of age, which isn't allowed.
So if you do decide against the booking, it will of course be because you're full.
Must say I feel kinda uneasy about this.

Lots of couples holiday together, and being one of a gay couple, I naturally have a lot of gay friends. Just this weekend, I will be having a long weekend away with another gay couple.

We would be considered a "same sex group", and thankfully the AirBNB host we're using is not concerned. However, it strikes me that heterosexual couples could holiday with another couple without any problem, but by the no same sex group rule, we'd be excluded from normal activity.

Seems a trifle unfair.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

You would be very welcome to stay with me Edinburgh. I know for sure that I have had gay couples stay in the past and it is of no concern to me whatsoever. I don't think GB intended any offence and I think what he meant was a booking from a group of single people all from the same sex. This would apply regardless of their sexual orientation. I would not take a booking for a hen party who would be all female (gay or straight), but similarly I would not take a booking for a stag do, so I don't believe there would be any discrimination in this case.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Hey

Oh no, I know he's not being mean - but, it is something to consider - after all, a group of men of the same sex are a same sex group, so I can see how unintended discrimination occurs.

I've got to say, that I may find myself guilty of it too - I'd prefer not to accommodate a stag/hen party, but at the same time, we rely on guests disclosing this, so I can understand the temptation not to accommodate same-sex groups at all.

:)
Essar

Post by Essar »

I think GB is talking of "Stags" & "Hens" when he talks about same sex groups.

I had a group of 4 teenagers this year for a week; two boys & two girls (17 & 18). Father of one them booked as the "lead guest" and paid a larger than normal security deposit. They were great, didn't even know they'd been really. They were all very meek on arrival, I think the law had been laid down by "lead dad". I would take youngsters again without a second thought.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

edinburgh wrote: Must say I feel kinda uneasy about this.

Lots of couples holiday together, and being one of a gay couple, I naturally have a lot of gay friends. Just this weekend, I will be having a long weekend away with another gay couple.

We would be considered a "same sex group", and thankfully the AirBNB host we're using is not concerned. However, it strikes me that heterosexual couples could holiday with another couple without any problem, but by the no same sex group rule, we'd be excluded from normal activity.

Seems a trifle unfair.
Interesting point Edinburgh. It's actually a clause in our leasehold that we can't rent to same sex groups / stags / hens / sports groups...

We've made this point on all of our ads and deferred responsibility for it to the lease. However, I must confess i never considered it from the perspective of groups of same sex couples and the fact that it's basically outwardly discriminatory.

Hmm. The intention of the lease )20+ yrs old) is obviously very different to the modern day interpretation.
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

Well it certainly is an interesting angle to the refusal of same-sex groups of guests.

As an owner I have never refused guests on this basis but prefer to base judgements on larger groups by the tone of their enquiries and emails. I can only recall one smallish group of girls from Liverpool who caused any grief, the others were families.

I recall a group of 5 youngish guys from Canada last year. They were very up-front about their situation, promised there would be no parties, and they were really good lads.

As another gay man though (may as well come out of the closet if Edinburgh is), I'm now wondering if any of my bookings, when travelling with other male couples, have ever been declined on the single-sex issue. I'm not sure I would be that worried if they have though.

I'm generally up-front about my situation as I'd prefer to stay with people who are comfortable with a single-sex group of males - straight or gay - otherwise it's just difficult for everyone concerned.
Here we go again........