Broken TV - what to offer

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
eoinm

Broken TV - what to offer

Post by eoinm »

We manage our rental property remotely and for the last few years nothing has gone wrong thankfully. We've had some repeat business and one repeat guest is currently staying in the house.

We've two rooms with TVs (both LCD, one larger than the other) and the guest contacted us on Saturday to say the large TV screen was not working properly. Through a process of back and forth it sounds like it might actually be broken or at least not repairable remotely through instruction.

So, they've rented for a week (till Saturday next) and they're repeat customers who have been pretty good guests and who have been accommodating as far as trying the various solutions we've sent them.

What would people suggest we offer them? It's the main TV and I've told them to swap it with the other one for now but I think 7/8 people are staying so they may need both TVs.

I've called a rental place but I don't think weekly rentals of TVs are possible any more and we live too far (~4 hour round trip) to buy / replace the TV.

I was thinking of either offering a reduced rate next year or money off to the value of a days rental this year.

What's the norm in these types of situation?

Thanks
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

Perhaps as a first step : ask if they'd like it replaced, and then offer to purchase one from (e.g) ao.com, with a 2h time-slot for delivery?

If the other proves to be repairable, keep it as a spare, should it happen again...
eoinm

Post by eoinm »

Zingara wrote:Perhaps as a first step : ask if they'd like it replaced, and then offer to purchase one from (e.g) ao.com, with a 2h time-slot for delivery?

If the other proves to be repairable, keep it as a spare, should it happen again...
Sorry should have said, I'm in Ireland and AO.com don't deliver there. However, your point is valid as there are a number of alternative shops (on-line and offline) that offer similar solutions.

As money is tight I'd prefer to buy a replacement second hand when I've time. But maybe the consensus is to provide a replacement ASAP?
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

This is my take on electrical items. If you delay by repairing and inconveniencing guests then you will still have to potentially compensate. So in the long run it could cost you more than the cost of an immediate replacement. I wouldn't mess about, order an immediate replacement and keep the other as a spare if it can be cheaply repaired at a later date.
If you show what a good host you are by immediately replacing it with a brand new one with minimal inconvenience to the guest, they should be happy and expect no compensation. After all, electrical items can fail at any time, even in their own homes.

I wouldn't buy second hand items in a holiday let. You've no idea how long it will last, so it will be false economy when you are faced with the same situation further down the line. Buy a new one with a warranty. Also, it's not worth it from an electrical safety point of view.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I would worry a replacement second hand one will only put you in this same situation again before long, and not be a good investment.
Personally I would shop around for something new that is on offer - many of the big suppliers have sale items, and bite the bullet.
Sorry, I know this is not what you want to hear but it is difficult when you are a remote owner.

The only alternative would be if these were going to be your last guests for the year, or for some weeks at least???? That would give you time to find a replacement.

Now the nights are drawing in, guests will want to access a TV.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Well, although I personally have trouble putting the words 'need' and 'TV' into the same sentence :wink: , I wouldn't hesitate in replacing it. I've always done that when any electrical item has failed, even if it's potentially repairable with a bit of time and expertise, as I feel that my guests should have what it says on the tin.

Everyone accepts that things go wrong: how you deal with it can make or break a guest's experience and their memories of their holiday.
Marks

Post by Marks »

What they say. Get a new one in ASAP of the same size or bigger.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
CSE

Post by CSE »

in Ireland you have many on-line shops where you can purchase things like TVS. They will deliver too.
If you purchase second-hand then as said you never know the quality (reliability and cleanlinesses) of second-hand goods. More so if you manage remotely. How are you going to get it to your property after purchase?
You do not have to purchase an all singing- all dancing model, just as long as the picture quality is good. Do not forget new products come with a 2 year guarantee.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
eoinm

Post by eoinm »

Thanks for all replies. Have decided to bite the bullet and replace it. It's the second last guest of the season so it's a good and bad thing I guess.