HOTMAIL

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
apexblue

HOTMAIL

Post by apexblue »

Every email sent to a hotmail address to an iPad in the past 2 days has not been received - no links and cannot be found in spam/junk. Hotmail or iPads the problem?
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

As Hotmail is simply a web interface to a server, probably located in the USA, then it can not be a fault of the equipment. The equipment will simply be using a web browser to display the contents of the server and even if a stand alone email program were used, it would again be displaying the server contents.

If the email is not on the server, then no device can see it. This assumes there is no spam detection app running on the ipad, which is unlikely.

This can easily be verified by using the same Hotmail account from another device.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've recently reactivated an unused Hotmail account when I needed to send test enquiries to HL and HA. I've just been into the account to discover yet more unwanted emails from HA, but the link to unsubscribe does not work.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I'm having a bit of a nightmare now with virtually every hotmail address not receiving. I had to conduct one booking through the OD site. :roll:

A few other email addresses don't get through too.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Hotmail is renowned for dumping emails, and not even letting the recipient or sender know. It's now getting worse. I'm considering asking anyone enquiring using a hotmail address to provide an alternative. Life's too short to deal with hotmail.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

The hotmail users are completely oblivious until people like us try to contact them and it doesn't get through. Yes, GB perhaps we should suggest they get themselves a gmail address for the holiday booking!

My latest is a "live" email. Nothing has got through, but at least she has now furnished me with her husbands and her work email.

I got an OD enquiry this morning; I reply within dashboard and then scurry off to PIMS. She got my email but as sometimes happens with phones, received the email with no content. She asked me to text it to her! That's the first time I've had to copy and paste email content into a text. I made it two texts as it was so long. :)
Annew

Post by Annew »

Nemo wrote:
I got an OD enquiry this morning; I reply within dashboard and then scurry off to PIMS. )
I used to do this with HA and OD. I've just recently had a problem with PIMS and hotmail, yahoo, gmail and AOL addresses not getting through. I changed the outgoing mail settings to use my own SMTP server and that seems to have solved the problem completely.

Regrettably I still have to respond via the wretched HA/OD dashboard to keep my score up :-(
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
Yorkshire Lass

Post by Yorkshire Lass »

I've had this problem for a long time and now if I spot the dreaded 'hotmail' in the enquirer's email address I automatically text a message advising that a reply has been sent and to check junk mail or contact me if not received. I've set up a 'TextLocal' account in PIMS specifically to handle this and it's worked well.
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

www.kingshousescarborough.com
www.facebook.com/scarboroughholidaycottage
www.sandsendpavilion.co.uk
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

My emails are not even arriving in the junk folder to retrieve. I'll have a look at the settings Annew as you have done.
Marchehelen

Post by Marchehelen »

This is interesting to know as I have sent several enquiry emails to properties and then, despite receiving confirmation from holidaylettings that they have passed on my enquiry, I have received no replies
Annew

Post by Annew »

Just bumping this up again as I have had major Hotmail problems over the past 3 weeks.

I have now discovered that the server that hosts my email accounts is being blocked by hotmail, so nothing is getting through to hotmail.com or hotmail.co.uk addresses, even if it has before.

Aaaarrghg - does my head in.

Anyway, apparently my hosts are "working on it" but have now been so for 6 days!

I've restored my PIMS email settings to the original (the reverse of what I did above) so at least I can get through to guests that way now.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Annew wrote:Just bumping this up again as I have had major Hotmail problems over the past 3 weeks.

I have now discovered that the server that hosts my email accounts is being blocked by hotmail, so nothing is getting through to hotmail.com or hotmail.co.uk addresses, even if it has before.

Aaaarrghg - does my head in.

Anyway, apparently my hosts are "working on it" but have now been so for 6 days!

I've restored my PIMS email settings to the original (the reverse of what I did above) so at least I can get through to guests that way now.
Who is your host and are you sure they haven't been blacklisted, 6 days for a fix is a long time?

You can check your mail server here: mail-blacklist-checker.online-domain-tools dot com
Annew

Post by Annew »

ChrisP wrote:
Who is your host and are you sure they haven't been blacklisted, 6 days for a fix is a long time?

You can check your mail server here: mail-blacklist-checker.online-domain-tools dot com
Fasthosts (or slowhosts as we've renamed them) Apparently the fix has now been applied, but I still can't get the emails through! I'm due to change servers soon, so not going to dwell, just thought I'd flag this to people as I gather others have had hotmail problems over the past few weeks too.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

I'm with Fasthosts too and I spent hours last week trying to find out why my emails to Hotmail accounts were getting bounced back. Then I discovered that Fasthosts were working on it. Apparently they resolved if this afternoon but the latest email I sent still bounced. Since I regularly get enquiries from hotmail addresses it's looking like I'm going to have to find a new host. grrr!
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Annew

Post by Annew »

Joanna wrote:I'm with Fasthosts too and I spent hours last week trying to find out why my emails to Hotmail accounts were getting bounced back. Then I discovered that Fasthosts were working on it. Apparently they resolved if this afternoon but the latest email I sent still bounced. Since I regularly get enquiries from hotmail addresses it's looking like I'm going to have to find a new host. grrr!
Hi Joanna, don't suppose you are using livemail via Fasthosts?? and, indeed accessing it via mac mail? I'm on day 5 of trying to implement the new SSL settings and they are not working very well at all. Also, the new settings do not work within PIMS :x :x :x