New Smoke and Carbon Monoxide alarm regulations

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Albert's quite perplexed

Post by Albert's quite perplexed »

Thanks everyone for your comments on this issue over the need for an 'Assessor' - you were all quite right.

In the end I put myself on a Fire Awareness course - free - in order to be able to demonstrate "competence" and upgraded my CO monitor - the previous CO monitor was five years old so needed replacing anyway. Amazon had some good ones, so I was able to find exactly what I wanted.
That was all I needed to do. I've always done my own fire risk assessments anyway, and keep them up to date.

I had my Inspector round today and she was more than happy with the protocols & procedures I've got in place.
Phew.
Life is a deck of cards... read 'em and weep
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

We had our Visit England inspection early January and the inspector told us that in addition to our current carbon monoxide detector which we have in the kitchen, Visit England now expect us to have a carbon monoxide detector consistent with the new standards in the living room because of the log burner.

I don't have a problem with this requirement as I would not want to take any chances with regard to such a dangerous gas in the property.
klockstone

Post by klockstone »

I spoke to the local Devon fire service because we have been told by our local letting agent that we have to have a more expensive fire assessment this year and that it must be done by a professional - one of their choice.

The new law applies only to short or long hold tenancies.

The fire service advised that the legislation had not changed for self-catering properties but that there were grey areas that were advisory but not mandatory. He suggested I should consider putting alarms in all bedrooms and that they all be connected by radio or wire so that if one is triggered, they all go off.

He also said that if there is a fire, the property will be assessed and if the fire alarm installation is found to be inadequate, the owner may be prosecuted.

I have no problem with this - it's a job I can do myself. However I do get twitchy when others start spending my money. Last year, the same character did a risk assessment, installed 2 extra smoke detectors without asking and used the most expensive ones you could buy. When I looked on Amazon, I found similar units at one third of the price. We only found out about this when we had the bill deducted off our agency account.
Keith
www.larches-cottage.co.uk

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Annew

Post by Annew »

klockstone wrote: He suggested I should consider putting alarms in all bedrooms and that they all be connected by radio or wire so that if one is triggered, they all go off.

I'm very surprised by that.

I have consulted an ex Devon fireman and I have had 2 flash inspections in the past 3 years from the Devon Fire Service, and none of the fire inspectors has stated that I need an alarm in each room for self catering hire. If I decided to go for B&B that would be a different matter. I'm interested to know who you spoke to in the Devon Fire Service.

Both the inspections I had were more concerned with fire exit, escape plans and fire risk assessments.

And BTW, according to the inspections I have had from the Devon fire service, you can do your risk assessment yourself and don't need someone else to do it for you. You just need a copy for inspection and to demonstrate that you have taken any action necessary to resolve any problems.

My insurers already required this from me (for several years now) so I was in the clear, despite having disagreements with the fire service over locks on doors.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
klockstone

Post by klockstone »

Regretfully, I didn't ask his name. I rang their main Exeter number and asked to speak to someone about changes in regulations for self-catering properties. I went through 2 operators before speaking to the guy.

I assume the persons who inspected your property were just checking what is mandatory. Advisory or best practice advice would seem to depend on the personnel involved.

I have a copy of the 2006 regulations and they discuss self-assessment which I intend to do. However, my agency seem to think otherwise and I'm wondering who is pulling the wool over who's eyes.
Keith
www.larches-cottage.co.uk

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Wouldnt it be worth asking your agency to actually produce and show you this elusive yet essential fire safety information that they have said is 'legally required?'
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
Annew

Post by Annew »

klockstone wrote:Regretfully, I didn't ask his name. I rang their main Exeter number and asked to speak to someone about changes in regulations for self-catering properties. I went through 2 operators before speaking to the guy.

I assume the persons who inspected your property were just checking what is mandatory. Advisory or best practice advice would seem to depend on the personnel involved.

I have a copy of the 2006 regulations and they discuss self-assessment which I intend to do. However, my agency seem to think otherwise and I'm wondering who is pulling the wool over who's eyes.
The inspectors for my part of Devon are from North Devon. I think you'll find that South Devon may be covered from Somerset.

The inspections I had were indeed legally binding mandatory inspections.

This link gives the current guidance with information about what do to if your premises do not fit (more than 20 employees, more than 60 people on the premises at any time, etc)

https://www.dsfire.gov.uk/YourSafety/Sa ... =4&T1ID=36

There's also a list of approved risk assessors should you feel you need a professional. However, D&S Fire and Rescue can provide you with a template for a risk assessment so you should be able to manage yourself.

Out of curiosity, who is your agent? I've never come across an agent that requires more than compliance with mandatory guidance.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Rather than dig out the link again I found it in my post a few back, although I've quoted it so many times I should know it by heart. Everybody in this business MUST follow the information in this publication, everybody should have a copy.
greenbarn wrote: the guidance to the law for accommodation providers Do you have Paying Guests?