What is an acceptable number of daytime visitors?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Bunny

What is an acceptable number of daytime visitors?

Post by Bunny »

Bit fed up today having spent most of the day gardening. My 3 bedroom cottage sleeps a maximum of 6 adults and 2 children and we have parking for 3 cars max. I currently have a booking for 5 adults. However, today (and as has happened several times recently) there has been constant comings and goings, and all afternoon I reckon I had approx. 14 people in the cottage (nearly double the sleeping capacity). IMO that's an unacceptable number of visitors. Does anyone stipulate a maximum number of additional visitors? My T&Cs state that the maximum capacity is 8 and that the cottage may not be used as a venue for parties etc, but at what point does additional visitors constitute breaching those terms? Opinions much appreciated please?
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

My cottage sleeps 4 and I put a maximum of 4 daytime visitors allowed in the letting agreement. I reckon if people do want more and come and ask me, I can be a bit little bit flexible. having said that, I wouldn't be too happy if 8 people were spending all day in in my cottage every day but if you state a maximum number then you have a firm leg to stand on.
GRL

Post by GRL »

We state in our T&Cs that guests must inform us of any friends they are having at the gite so we can nip any large gatherings in the bud. Also we live on site and whilst there is ample parking for 1-2 cars for the gite after that it can become tight and nigh on impossible should we decide to block cars coming in :wink:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Your cottage isn't being used for swinging parties or anything similar is it? If not, I wouldn't worry too much.
Essar

Post by Essar »

la vache! wrote:Your cottage isn't being used for swinging parties or anything similar is it? If not, I wouldn't worry too much.
Anything similar - several savoury and unsavory thoughts have just popped into my mind - please explain so I can sleep tonight. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

In my humble opinion it is bad manners not to mention that amount of visitors due to possible disruption (parking etc) when they know the owner is on site.

I had to introduce something when several years ago we had 9 kids in our relatively average pool making the street sound like a public baths! The same year I had someone invite people (srangers) for a party!

I now state on my advert that the place isn't suitable for large or noisy gatherings and I also mention that in my booking notes, so guests tend to check. It would be tricky though if they didn't and I suppose I would just have to grin and bare it.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Mouse wrote: I now state on my advert that the place isn't suitable for large or noisy gatherings and I also mention that in my booking notes, so guests tend to check. It would be tricky though if they didn't and I suppose I would just have to grin and bare it.
Mouse
x
Well, I guess that might just send them running away, Mousie :lol:

Sorry. Couldn't resist. x
annedab

Post by annedab »

Bah - you beat me to it FC :lol:
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

It's not often I manage to get in there before you or GB, anne :wink:
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Thoroughly hacked off now. They finally left late last night but two additional undeclared guests have stayed all night. Since early this morning more visitors have been arriving and I guestimate approx. 14 people currently in there again all turning up carrying clothes and rucksacks. The booking was for a party attending a local wedding and they received an under occupancy discount, which I offer in lieu of less wear & tear, less drain on services etc. So much for that! The wedding is today and it's more than obvious they are treating it as an open house for anyone who wants to come and use the facilities to get ready. I suspect the others are staying at the youth hostel and are using my rather more luxurious facilities in preference to the less desirable facilities there. :evil: Just waiting a phone call to say they have run out of hot water!
Last night I had another enquiry for a wedding party. I turned it down flat. This is absolutely the last wedding booking for me.
I'm dreading how the cottage will be left. We'll see how it pans out but I suspect I may be moving this thread to members only. :roll:
bessie

Post by bessie »

I would send an email to lead guest on booking form stating you are aware of a breach of t/c and therefore affecting your insurance.
You are also making them aware of damage or excess costs will be passed to them and will be pursued .
The booking was taken in trust and a discount was offered subject to number of guests.
I afraid you must have more patience than me ,I would have been knocking on the door and telling them to leave.
AST tenant just been on the receiving end of my temper ,I get so cross with people who abuse our hospitality and think we won't do anything a hotel would not stand for it or a guest house.
Have you a security deposit.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I would also be knocking on the door.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Me too. And I'd do what bessie says in her first three lines.

Sorry you're having this, bunny. I'm afraid I gave up taking any wedding guests many years ago.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Can you just broaden your terms to cover this? No use of the property as a meeting point, changing facilities or any other wording you think covers it? Then should it ever arise again, you have your terms to fall back on and can evict the extras. Your current terms may of course cover this situation, but as we find in the fb dog group, you need to state everything in really clear, plain English, because there's always someone out there who refuses to believe that an existing rule covers their misdemeanour. :roll:
Last edited by Nemo on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

The problem is that the bride booked the cottage, although she is not on the guest list, but she is one of the two 'extras' that stayed last night. Under other circumstances I would have no hesitation in knocking on the door, but how do I politely read the riot act and ruin a bride's day. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.