What is an acceptable number of daytime visitors?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Bunny...just a quickie as I've not much time;

If you hate confrontation then don't go over there. Instead write down the issue in as concise a way as you can then ask that the lead guest in the cottage designated by the bride (ok she probably hasn't but it will make them elect one) comes to talk to you at a convenient time. That means they come to you and you have the upper hand from a location point of view. It also gives them time to think of their approach and won't be as much as a shock having the owner turn up.
Give them a timeframe when you're available.

Just an alternative....and I hope it helps.

Good luck. I do feel for you. Bottom line is though that you can retain costs from their DD should you wish to. Though I know the hassle factor of cleaning up is a nightmare, if they know before they leave what is expected they may just surprise you.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

Mouse wrote:Bunny...just a quickie as I've not much time;

If you hate confrontation then don't go over there. Instead write down the issue in as concise a way as you can then ask that the lead guest in the cottage designated by the bride (ok she probably hasn't but it will make them elect one) comes to talk to you at a convenient time. That means they come to you and you have the upper hand from a location point of view. It also gives them time to think of their approach and won't be as much as a shock having the owner turn up.

Good luck. I do feel for you. Bottom line is though that you can retain costs from their DD should you wish to. Though I know the hassle factor of cleaning up is a nightmare, if they know before they leave what is expected they may just surprise you.

Mousie
x
I like Mouse's idea in that it gives you some control back and will stop you from worrying until they depart.

If you can bring yourself to do it then try to discuss things with the lead guest well before they leave and try to do it in a non-confrontational way - and this is for your own sanity, nothing else. It doesn't change things if you get angry and maybe you can get them to see things from your point of view.

Clearly they have taken the pi$$ but what you are really after now is no more parties and your house back in one piece.

So why not remind them of the terms and conditions, particularly with regard to over occupancy and daytime visitors, and remind them how they must leave your house when they depart.

Talking to them is much better than fretting about it and will likely give you a better chance of getting your house back in one piece.

Best of luck Bunny.
Here we go again........
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

rammy100 wrote:
Mouse wrote:Bunny...just a quickie as I've not much time;

Mousie
x
I like Mouse's idea in that it gives you some control back and will stop you from worrying until they depart.

If you can bring yourself to do it then try to discuss things with the lead guest well before they leave and try to do it in a non-confrontational way - and this is for your own sanity, nothing else. It doesn't change things if you get angry and maybe you can get them to see things from your point of view.

Clearly they have taken the pi$$ but what you are really after now is no more parties and your house back in one piece.

So why not remind them of the terms and conditions, particularly with regard to over occupancy and daytime visitors, and remind them how they must leave your house when they depart.

Talking to them is much better than fretting about it and will likely give you a better chance of getting your house back in one piece.

Best of luck Bunny.
+1
We had a similar situation a few years back with a young group with more guest than on the booking form we asked the head of the group to come to us and explain. She lied and swore blind there wasnt any more than on the form, i counted then as they left and there was at least 7 more!!! (its very hard to count a group of people). After that we changed our T&Cs saying they may forfeit part or all their deposit. Since then we have had a couple of cancellations after groups receiving their contract so i guess its done the job.
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

Whether you confront them or not you must take photos.

Once you have photos you can present whatever case you decide. Without them it is their word against yours. With evidence you have power.

Hang on in there. It wont last much longer and then you can decide - after a period of refection exactly what you do. If you have a security deposit we would not rush to return it. Certainly not on departure!

All of LMH are behind you giving you moral support!
booboo

Post by booboo »

I am so sorry to hear of your dilemma. I am not very good at confrontation either. Maybe you could find a gentle way of approaching it. If this is the state of your property after a couple of days what will it be like after a week. I hope you find strength to deal with this before the week ends. Sending lots of sympathy.
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Oh dear. My sympathies too, Bunny. I hope it's not as bad as you imagine but my thoughts are:

Personally I would have to go over but I do think the suggestion of arranging a meeting with the "proxy" lead is better.
I think you should be armed with your guest list and your booking conditions, and I don't see why you shouldn't ask for the names (and addresses?) of any extra guests.

I think you are quite justified to ask that any of the extras who continue to use the property should do so upon agreement to pay a contribution of £x per person. (Just as you might pay to use the pool/spa facilities in a hotel as a guest of a resident). It gives them the choice to remain for a fee or continue their partying elsewhere. I'd also make it very clear that this isn't a licence to abuse the cottage and that deductions for any extra cleaning or damage will be made as usual.

The main thing is that it is your property and they should use it reasonably and comply with your terms.
louloup

Post by louloup »

It might clarify things a bit to remember that using your facilities when they have not booked is actually theft!
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

amandajane wrote: I think you are quite justified to ask that any of the extras who continue to use the property should do so upon agreement to pay a contribution of £x per person. (Just as you might pay to use the pool/spa facilities in a hotel as a guest of a resident).
I think this is getting absurd. Spa facilities and pools are expensive luxuries that people would expect to pay for. In a normal tenancy, people have friends round. Yes, the difference is that the tenant pays for the fuel and water but this is a minimal amount in the general scheme of things - I see online that the average shower costs between 20 and 30p. Attempting to charge them in this way is likely to ruin any relationship and lose their cooperation as it makes you appear greedy if you charge too much and penny pinching if you charge the actual cost. If they stay the night, that is of course a different matter.

Your legitimate concern is damage and condition of the property when they leave. This is something that the guests will understand and you can raise concerns about.
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

I wasn't suggesting for a minute that anyone who drops by for a cup of tea or a barbecue in the garden should pay. Just in these circumstances where it appears that the booking has turned into more of a "facilities rental" than a holiday.

If the original enquiry was on the basis of renting git as a base for a considerable number of people to use on this basis then Bummy could have either declined or priced accordingly for the additional wear and tear and likely additional cleaning.

Early this year I gave a couple a very discounted week for just the two of them. Later they said they wanted friends to join them for a few days and I suggested a nominal figure, I think it was £50, for the friends who got a bargain break and I was happy because I didn't feel they had taken advantage.
teapot

Post by teapot »

amandajane wrote: Early this year I gave a couple a very discounted week for just the two of them. Later they said they wanted friends to join them for a few days and I suggested a nominal figure, I think it was £50, for the friends who got a bargain break and I was happy because I didn't feel they had taken advantage.
Unless they had that planned all along. Took a booking that sounded very similar last season, the third request was for a dog as well, it felt like divide and conquer, we wouldn't decline the booking after such gentle steps..............We did.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Yes I experienced something similar with a friends property which was supposedly under occupied but with visitors staying for a few days mid week. They were given a discount when they first enquired and becayse if that when they mentioned friends they were charged a niminal amount based on 3 days.
All this info was passed on to me as I was checking them in.

Checked in just the 2 of them....but had to sort something out in the owners casita so was an hour later I was still there. As I was loadin the car up to leave I noticed a car driving up the dirt track leading to the house so waited. It was the 2nd couple. I said 'hello thought you were arriving mid week'. "err no, we came for the start of their holiday"
At the mid week clean they were still there (I asked cleaner to check) so I nipped round the following day on a pretence...and yes they were still there.
I'm positive they were there all week.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Update (sorry this is a bit long): Today was check out day supposedly leaving at 10.00am but they did a dawn flit and left the key in the cottage!
We suddenly heard the car driving off. We weren't sure how many had gone or whether they intended to return as there was still a bedroom light on. By 9.00am I decided to knock. There was no reply so I went in and it became clear that they had checked out. They left nice comments in the guest book thanking me for their wonderful stay and beautiful location for their pre wedding group photographs. They also say they would like to return!

On Friday (wedding day) we knew that the local hotel venue only had a licence until midnight, so we decided to wait up to see how many came back, with the intention of challenging them if loads returned. They returned calmly by taxi soon after midnight with just one 'extra' person. For the sake of one person we didn't go out to speak to them when the extra person may not be intending to stay and we wanted to get to bed for an early start on Saturday. Unfortunately for them, OH is an early bird and saw the extra guest leave at the crack of dawn in a car which had been parked outside the curtilage since the wedding morning. We then went out for the whole day on Saturday and did not return until early evening. Thankfully when we returned, all was quiet and it appeared that no one was in. On Saturday evening only 3 guests returned to the cottage when I had five booked in, so it appears that 2 checked out one day early (these two were not booked in for Sunday night). On Sunday we only saw 3 guests around too and that is all that appears to have stayed last night.

The good news is that a lot of clearing up had been done, but they've left a mountain of rubbish. There was no major damage but the place was generally very grubby and has taken me 7 hours to get it back up to standard, but it was no worse than I have occasionally had from a family group. Annoyingly the shower hose had split and was spouting water everywhere and my expensive Brabantia bin lid no longer stays closed. I've no reason to believe that both items have simply failed, but because they didn't report them, OH had to make a mad dash out for replacements before next set of guests arrived. I currently have 7 towels, a tablecloth and one sheet soaking in stain treatment that were absolutely covered in stains (not too optimistic for them).

Amandajane, you are absolutely right, that had I known their intentions, I would have declined the booking. However, as the cottage was only abused for two days, I've decided it is not worth charging for the small additional costs incurred despite feeling very cross about it. They were generally disrespectful - constantly left our main gates open despite being requested to keep them closed to protect our livestock, continually left lights on including garden flood light 24/7 and left windows open when out.

Now my dilemma. They have clearly left happy and I've done a lot of soul searching. One has many holidays but only one wedding (in theory!) I don't want to taint someone's happy memories when they look back at the wedding photos. On the other hand, only 6 weeks ago I reiterated the occupancy discount to the bride, and she clearly didn't want to pay more, as she assured me that no extras would stay. So I can't help feeling that she set out to deceive me on this point. Therefore, I'm inclined to keep it very business like and just bill her for the additional guests and deduct it from the deposit (although the deposit is unlikely to cover it all). I will also charge for any ruined linens even though I wouldn't normally. I don't feel it needs any emailed explanation, other than setting it out on the bill, as she is well aware of the 'misdemeanour'. I will also not mention any of the other breaches of the T&Cs. As annoyed as I am, no real harm has been done, so it is not worth creating ill will IMO.

Now got a delightful set of new guests checked in who have advised me that they will be out all day walking. Bliss.

Thank you all for your support over a very stressful few days.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Bunny wrote:hes of the T&Cs. As annoyed as I am, no real harm has been done, so it is not worth creating ill will IMO.
Sorry about the rubbish and the extra time for cleaning, but I totally agree with your comment. You have learned by experience and can refuse any such bookings in future but it really isn't worth spoiling the special memories of the wedding this time.
teapot

Post by teapot »

+1
Don't forget the wedding anniversaries, repeat bookings assured!
:lol:
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
revdev

Post by revdev »

Bunny wrote:Therefore, I'm inclined to keep it very business like and just bill her for the additional guests and deduct it from the deposit (although the deposit is unlikely to cover it all). I will also charge for any ruined linens even though I wouldn't normally.
It's important that you bill for this (well certainly for the additional guests) to complete the process for yourself.

Keep the email light and explain that obviously the under occupancy discount no longer was valid. Any reasonable person should understand this.
See the job, do the job!
http://www.premiumturkishvillas.co.uk