What is an acceptable number of daytime visitors?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
bessie

Post by bessie »

Nice new guests and blood pressure back to normal.
I agree I think at least an email and bill is in order if only to teach them not to take advantage.
Not even to leave you some wedding cake as a thank you ,
:wink:
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Well done! You've got through it with good grace and not too much damage. And I think you're right to just keep it pleasant and put it down to experience. (I think we'll all being checking our T's and C's now). You might feel bad if you felt you'd tainted some part of her wedding.

Onwards!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

amandajane wrote: And I think you're right to just keep it pleasant and put it down to experience. (I think we'll all being checking our T's and C's now). You might feel bad if you felt you'd tainted some part of her wedding.
Ouch! I don't think Bunny should feel guilty whatever she chooses to do. The bride didn't consider Bunny's feelings about how her property was treated or when the under occupancy discount was ignored, now did she? :wink:

Of course we will disagree on the approach or lack of approach depending on your viewpoint, but I hope Bunny, you feel supported whichever way you choose to play it. Your house, your rules. :)
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Yes, thanks everyone for your support; it really helps. Don't worry Nemo, Amandajane was only quoting me about tainting any wedding memories. Amazingly, the towels and sheet have just all come clean in the wash after soaking all day in the bath with a shed load of Vanish. They were absolutely trashed so I'm staggered. That's great, so all I need to bill them for now is the extra guests!

I've just tightened up my T&Cs even further! There's absolutely no doubt now. :wink:
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Good job Bunny! totally with you on taking away the discount for "under occupancy". Let us know how they respond.

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
revdev

Post by revdev »

You could try the "how to dress a 2 year old approach"....as in would you like to wear the blue one or the red one?

As in...shall I re-charge you for the "under occupancy" discount or shall I charge you the "over-occupancy" rate?
See the job, do the job!
http://www.premiumturkishvillas.co.uk
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

revdev wrote:You could try the "how to dress a 2 year old approach"....as in would you like to wear the blue one or the red one?

As in...shall I re-charge you for the "under occupancy" discount or shall I charge you the "over-occupancy" rate?
Oh, now I like that approach :)
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
COYS

Post by COYS »

Interesting read after returning home this week.
Personally, we never offer under occupancy rates & prohibit (as far as we are able) 'gatherings' of any description - our house is for the exclusive use of registered guests only blah, blah, blah.

Hence a sharp intake of breath, when last week we saw first hand how a party of 40 or more descended upon a neighbours very upmarket villa for several pre wedding barbecues/parties. In fairness there wasn't a great deal of noise etc from a distance but a fairly constant stream of cars, taxis, people over several days that clearly aren't paying guests (it sleeps 6!) Absolutely no way that the owners would or could have authorised such ad hoc usage but as absentees would be completely in the dark unless their property manager was on the ball.
Aside from the increased wear & tear, utilities etc. the implications of a mishap are all too clear & we came home seriously reconsidering our policy re: weddings which are a big draw locally. If we can filter them out, we do & social habits aside will always try to stick to the 'paying guests only' rule as far as we can.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I've been watching/reading this develop. I can't offer much other than to say that we have had the 'experience' of two wedding parties and have vowed never again.

We didn't have a particular problem with over-occupancy (not too many extras) but there was a lot of coming and going, a lot of 'guests' who were not around for the 'meet and greet', didn't know what had been booked/included/excluded, didn't read any information/know anything about anything and just generally being inconsiderate and selfish in their behaviour and attitude to us, our neighbours and the village.

We've since accepted wedding guests on chambre d'hote for two nights - never again with that as well. Coming and going all through the day for changing clothes, young baby left in the room for the evenng with a very elderly lady who spoke neither French nor English and no sign of anyone for breakfast until gone 11.00 a.m. after a very late night partying ..........
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I've been reluctant to return to this thread, not wanting to tempt fate. Anyway, I sent guests a credit note setting out the charges and refunded the nominal amount remaining from their security deposit. I sent them a nice email saying I was glad they enjoyed their stay etc but gave no explanation for the charges other than that detailed on the credit note. Having only had a conversation with them a few weeks before arrival when they assured me they understood the discount and that they would not add any more guests I really didn't feel that any further explanation was warranted. Anyway, I was generous because I only charged them a nightly rate for the number of extra guests and extra nights stayed, when I could have charged them the full occupancy rental (although I would never have got it because the security deposit didn't cover it).
I've not heard a peep from them. But what could they possibly say other than apologise? They should be too embarrassed to discover they were rumbled and probably know they've got off lightly.
I'll continue to offer discounts because I prefer smaller groups. Virtually on every occasion that the discount has been abused I've had an inkling that it was going to happen, so I'll remain vigilant and I'm reiterating when I quote that the price will increase if more guests subsequently come.

It's never nice having to deal with these sorts of things so thanks to all for getting me through it.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Fingers crossed. Long may the silence remain.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Glad it's all over, Bunny. I'm sure the silence is an embarrassed one.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!