Is your cottage substandard, standard, formula or special?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
charles cawley

Is your cottage substandard, standard, formula or special?

Post by charles cawley »

Called to pitch booking agency work for 3 cottages on an estate owned by a very wealthy self-made businessman, I sat down and thought hard about how to trump the sales people from Wyndham Worldwide, Sykes and others. These cottages are going to be very special.

The owner is known for playing with a straight bat but taking no prisoners. I was forced to think of a new approach to the market. I wrote about it, today, in an article at http://www.holidayletsforsale.com/is-yo ... r-special/

The holiday lets in our area seem to come in 4 basic categories: Substandard; Standard; Formula and Special. The way these categories work is very different from the Star system because they were intended, at first, to address the key market for agents which is where they get most of their money from: holiday cottage / let owners.

Oddly, as the article developed, the categories seemed not to be at war with the star system or even unconnected, relating to a different market (owners as opposed to potential guests). Perhaps a combination of stars and such categories could produce something more useful for potential guests?

The more I work in this market, the more interesting it becomes.
Last edited by charles cawley on Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Interesting article Charles. I can definitely identify with your Formula category.
Annew

Post by Annew »

What an interesting and thought provoking article Charles.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Another interesting and informative article. I'd never considered holiday accommodation from that angle, but now you've shown the way, it's just so obvious ... :roll: :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Those 4 categories may work for the UK but not in most other countries. I think in Spain you'd need to add extra-special and I'm fairly sure for France and Portugal too.
I think mine are standard or formula maybe the triplex with jacuzzi would be special but there are lots out there that would tear strips off it. Some of the posters in LMH have places that are really special.
And then of course is location, location.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

costabravarent This is interesting.

I certainly do think that categories need to suit different areas The idea is to try to provide another perspective on what's offered.

In the UK, chain hotels such as Travel Lodge would be formula and, arguably, the Hilton Hotels around the world might be in the same bracket perhaps with a higher star rating.

On the other hand, Pousadas in Portugal might qualify as 'Special', despite being in a chain of sorts. There's a mountain of work to see if the idea is really useful. The idea of categories is not to rate them, but that they state the nature of the accommodation in the same way castles come in all shapes and sizes along with town houses and built to formula hotels.

I stumbled on the idea when under pressure from the competition.
No web-site for now.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Great article, I only manage 4, one is my own and then for 3 others. But these types of categories are what drive the rates, and then the demographic you will be selling them to will have their own degree of comfort with the price points within these categories.
Well said Charles, by the way, were you successful in getting that new client?
Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Thank you for your kind remarks, Wendy.

The potential customer e-mailed me saying he would be in touch once the work updating and renewing them is complete. He is time-served in business and, I think, likes to keep suppliers 'just so'.

Until we start working, I cannot say if we have landed that fish. Just like with interviews, if you think you have done well, it is often far from certain you have got a result.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. One thing, for sure, is that the competitors would not have pitched in the same way but, most likely, applied a same same well worn tried and tested formula. If we do not get the work, at least it forced me to put my brain into gear.
No web-site for now.
bessie

Post by bessie »

Thank you Charles for a very interesting article, I am now very worried as the agency listing my cottage is now sending someone to grade it.and judging by substandard on deco etc that's me.I will wait and see what is said as my guest reviews this year both visitors book and TripAdvisor say they booked because it was different.By the way the agency did not get me one booking my busy summer has been direct bookings.
Still learning and by the look of it a long way to go. :cry:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

bessie wrote:Thank you Charles for a very interesting article, I am now very worried as the agency listing my cottage is now sending someone to grade it.
....judging by substandard on deco etc that's me. By the way the agency did not get me one booking my busy summer has been direct bookings.
Your cottage is not substandard per say bessie, but you know what we all have said numerous times about parts of your furnishings etc. No point us repeating it. Old pine in itself isn't a problem when it's in keeping with the property as yours is. The cottage and its location is lovely, and the photos on your TA listing for example show off the exterior and the location well.

If the agency haven't got you any bookings ask them why? They should be able to give you some feedback.