Check in time

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
lolita

Check in time

Post by lolita »

I would like opinions about this. Recently I have had one or two later than expected check ins.
The check in and check out time are clearly stated at the outset of the booking. However I think some people think you are a hotel and so can turn up anytime from 15hrs onwards.
The arrival agrrement normally goes like this :
they give their flight number and approx arrival time and state whether Taking bus, taxi or car rental. This will give me a very good idea of the waiting time at the most this is 2hrs afTer arrival.
What I had lately was flights being on time (I make sure I check flight arrivals before i leave home to go to holiday apartment) waiting for an hour or so then get a call to say either They are hungry or gone to the supermarket / restaurant and would I mind if they come at a later time. Even worse they don t bother to phone, I phone them and they are as cool as ever and they state that they are going around the island and had planned to turn up at sunset!
Do you think it appropriate if I would state that check in is at 15hrs but not later than 17 hours unless agreed beforehand.
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

Hi Lolita.

I really hate the phrases "check in" and "check out". It may be clear and succinct but it makes you sound like an organisation rather than a human.

I think that the moment you start calling it "Check in", you're making it sound like a hotel. Other than that, I'm probably least qualified to answer as our properties have keysafes. However, I'm never short on opinion:

I think you do need to spell out to the guests that you take a trip from home to meet them at the property - otherwise they might assume that you live next door. If your travel time from home to the property is less than the minimum for airport-to-property then I think it is sensible to ask the guests to phone you when they are leaving the airport and that conversation gives you the chance to check whether they are going straight there.

As a holidaymaker, I never much like having to have an owner or caretaker meet us at the property because I'm cheapskate and always end up arriving at horrible times of night. So, might a keysafe be a possibility for you?
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
lolita

Post by lolita »

Thank you Ben Mc navis,

a key safe is not an option as this particular apartment is in a block. Also I prefer to meet the guests myself upon arrival. I feel it makes for a special welcome and can answer any queries.
An alternative word for check in and check out please ?
Afrique

Post by Afrique »

I have the same 'problems' Lolita. I ask them to give me an hours warning, (if they won't give me an arrival time), and most phone when they are standing outside the apartment!
I also have the 'Oh were you standing here waiting for us, we went off for some sight seeing,' situation too. I also have some check ins after midnight, most only mention it after they have booked and paid.
I find it hard as I like to treat people as I would like to be treated. When I am traveling, I respect that my time is not more important than the persons time who I would waste if I didn't keep them updated on where I am, and what time I expect to arrive. It's respect for others really. I know we are not a hotel but it's just courtesy that's all. I don't mind meeting you at 1.30 am but if you go off to the bar for a drink first, I do mind. (Just read my post back and I sound like a grumpy old bag but I just get weary sometimes) I'll go pour myself some Port and put my feet up:-)
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

lolita wrote:An alternative word for check in and check out please ?
Arrival and departure times.

A few days before they are due we remind guests what time they are expected and ask them to email or ring well in advance to let us know if it changes because we have to arrange our other jobs around their arrival time.

It generally works. Maybe you could try that?
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

Is not great either when people are flying as they can confuse with flight arrivals/departures. How about:

We will meet you on arrival at the apartment to hand you the keys and show you how everything works. We live ?? minutes away so we need you to call us in sufficient time for us to arrive there before you do. Please call us when ??????. If you forget to call beforehand, you will be stuck for ?? minutes, so try not to forget!

On your last day, we need to get in for cleaning at around ??am so that we can get the apartment ready for the next guests. That means we need you to be completely packed by that time.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Ben McNevis wrote:
Is not great either when people are flying as they can confuse with flight arrivals/departures. How about:
Christ, your guests are thick! :lol: Okay, make it:

Arrival time at (name of your gaff).

Though I would have thought that this bit:
A few days before they are due we remind guests what time they are expected and ask them to email or ring well in advance to let us know if it changes because we have to arrange our other jobs around their arrival time.
should avoid any confusion, even among the most intellectually challenged. :lol:
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I think you should explain to them that you're not living onsite and have to travel to meet them so would appreciate not having to hang around longer than necessary - or words to that effect!
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

We use arrival and departure time in our information but it is clear the time refers to arrival at the accommodation and departure from the accommodation.

We look after another property which is only five minutes away but I give directions to us at home with the note that we will either take them to their accommodation or give them the key and directions. In practice, we have always taken them there.

For our own onsite accommodation and the 'remote' one we say:

"Please do not arrive before ??? as the house, garden and pool will not be available and we may not be here to meet you or have the key."

(Of course, that is nonsense re us being here and having the key but they don't need to know.) And then,

"If you expect to arrive earlier than ??? we can recommend some local sightseeing, a cafe or supermarket. If you expect to arrive later than ???? please let us know as soon as possible so that we can make the necessary arrangements."

We use the wording in the e-mail with the receipt for the full payment and directions and also in the directions themselves which they would print and use en route. Telephone number with instructions how to call 'internationally' are included!

I like Ben McNevis' wording for arrival but not for the departure. In my experience, departing guests don't give a fig for what you have to do when they are gone .......
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Sympathies Lolita. This has to be one of the biggest problems on changeover days but it has improved since I started emailing this to guests when they pay their final balance.

"Please may we remind you of your chosen arrival time of ****pm as you stated on the rental agreement/booking form. We appreciate that you may be hindered by travel delays, however, as we will be here to meet you on arrival and to hand over keys, please could you contact us on either of the above telephone numbers should you anticipate being more than 1 hour late."

As we are on site, we can be a bit more flexible, but still don't appreciate being left waiting as we do have another life too. The problem now is that guests tend to only ring us once they are already an hour late, when I really want them to let me know in advance that they KNOW they are going to be an hour late.
:roll:
kevsboredagain

Re: Check in time

Post by kevsboredagain »

lolita wrote: Do you think it appropriate if I would state that check in is at 15hrs but not later than 17 hours unless agreed beforehand.
I wouldn't book it if those were the only terms. Planning travel to coincide with such a small window must be a nightmare.

I allow anything after 4pm and know that people do arrive anywhere from that time to the early hours of the morning. I think my cleaner meets and greets if a reasonable time but after that they can let themselves in. If they had to arrive before 5pm then it would require many to stay 1 night in a hotel first, which isn't going to happen.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

My check in is from 3.30pm but I do say that any check ins after 6.00pm are subject to prior arrangement. In practice I will do a check in at any time (within reason) but I don't think it is unreasonable at all to ask guests to let you know if they require a check in outside of normal daytime hours.
lolita

Post by lolita »

Maybe I was misundeerstood by some when I said I would give a timeframe, that is in the knowledge that guests are arriving early afternoon. In my initial arrangement I will give the standard check in/out times and state that they are flexible only by arrangement.
I suppose guests sometimes abuse of our generosity when we state that we will be at the apartment at their arrival time to greet them.
The most unusual one was a woman coming from Canada was going to visit her family and then her father who was in a care home and then come after visiting hours. Luckily she said this before she actually arrived so I insisted that if her flight is on time ie 14.30hrs I can wait untill 16.30hrs. (this works out more than 45 minutes than the time required to clear luggage and arrive from the airport)