Niggling doubts

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
amandajane

Niggling doubts

Post by amandajane »

I'd really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

I have a family of four booked in for October half term week -( 2 bedroom cottage.)

The mum has been very slow with both the initial deposit and then with the balance, which she did eventually pay more than a week late, and later than she had promised.

This just leaves my security deposit of £100. She asked if she could pay that in cash upon arrival but was told that it wasn't possible as we aren't on site. I am always happy to take a cheque if people don't want the money leaving their account but most people these days just add it on to the balance and I refund once they have left and the caretaker has been in.
I have emailed her several times about it and had no reply.

I definitely don't want to let them have the cottage without the deposit. They have two boys of an age that could be quite boisterous and a fairly young dog! I know there are differing opinions on deposits and whether they are any use at all, but my own feeling is that it does help to focus people's minds if they know you have a deposit.

My problem is how do I insist without getting off on the wrong foot? If I say "pay up or I shall have to cancel" - or words to that effect - then I may as well cancel anyway because the thought of having guests who are disgruntled to begin with makes me nervous.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

My stance is no deposit 2 weeks before arrival, no stay. But I know others have differing views on this subject.

Just an aside though - if you do take a cheque, bank it, we had considerable damage several years ago when we just used to hold cheques, then the damage causing guests cancelled the cheque leaving us high & dry.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I have had the odd guest who feels that the damage deposit shouldn't have to be paid too far upfront....I suppose on principle.

The latest one coughed up a week before his arrival after a friendly reminder email from me.

Depending on the circs and to avoid unpleasant vibes perhaps you could invent a "manager/agent/rep" who is programmed not to deliver the property without confirmation of all fees paid in full.

I agree, my feeling is also that a damage deposit focuses the mind - especially with a couple of kids around.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

It sounds as if their budget is tight, but obviously that's not your problem. If you take a deposit, you need to enforce that and a cheque isn't worth the paper it's written on if it's not cleared in advance. Is there someone local who could take the cash and hand over keys on this occasion? If not, ask for a cleared bank transfer a couple of days before and state clearly that she will not have admission if the cleared funds aren't in your bank at the allotted time.

However, if you have misgivings now, then maybe you need to enforce the payment issue earlier, so if needs be, you can cancel the holiday on non payment of deposit. Your terms need to back that up though to be enforceable.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Others can confirm if this is a good idea or not as it's outside my experience, but I know a lot of people take the DD as a Paypal payment. AIUI if you do this there's no cost if you refund within (30 or 60?) days; it also means the guest can choose to pay in a manner that doesn't hit their cash flow. If you can do that it sounds like a win-win and the guest has no reason not to pay now.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Tell them that you're very sorry but it's a requirement of your insurance that nobody gets access to your property without pre-payment of the damages deposit.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

I think you need to get tough with them. If it's in your terms and conditions when the damage deposit needs paying then insist on it or cancel. Especially if you're having bad feelings about them.

I bank cheques - as someone else they can be cancelled.

Whatever this lady's circumstances she is currently in control here and dictating your terms and conditions.
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

I'm with the others here and would insist upon the security deposit being paid. In fact, a reluctance to pay would set my alarm bells ringing.

I would nicely remind her that it needs to be paid by whatever date you decide upon and tell her that you are sorry that she won't be allowed in the property until it has been paid. I'm not sure how she gets hold of the keys but I wouldn't give her them until it's been handed over.

I would perhaps explain that you have had damage in the past and that's why you require it, and tell her that you will return it as soon as you have made a full inspection of the property - as you always do - to check for any damage. It doesn't need to be personal, just factual.
Here we go again........
COYS

Post by COYS »

PW in Polemi wrote:Tell them that you're very sorry but it's a requirement of your insurance that nobody gets access to your property without pre-payment of the damages deposit.
+1 Sums it up perfectly
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Ditto everything. No security deposit paid before access is in breach of your T&C, rental agreement.

And, I never accept cash and always bank the cheque so it has to arrive early enough for me to 'clear' it.

If you suspect there will be damage to your property because of the age of the boys and the dog then you must insist, surely, on having what seems to me to be quite a modest sum (£100) when compared to the other costs of their holiday?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Yes, we may have different opinions on taking a SD, but that is completely irrelevant. Your terms state SD before arrival and these are your terms. End of.

To avoid any discussion of the merits/rights/wrongs/methodology of SD, I would write something along the lines of:

"We still await the final payment in accordance with our terms of rental. I'm afraid, I cannot release the key without this." Short and to the point.

How does the guest get access ? Is it a key safe, posted key, meet n greet or what ? Depending on the method, then this may need to be modified.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

Yes, we've had a few guests who've said that they didn't have enough money for the security deposit (after transferring interbank), and then asked whether they could pay it via PayPal, and then always paying at the last minute so that the amount never gets billed to them, before we refund it.

We've also had guests who arrive and say that the person responsible for paying the security deposit (in cash) is coming later in the evening, but could they have the key. Often we have had to go round and request it and when it still has not materialized have told them to pay up or get out.

We've also used the insurance reasons for why they have to pay a separate security deposit, which has helped persuade some guests to part with €200 (I suppose some think that we will try and do our best not to return it all!)

Normally we do not charge a security deposit if the rate paid is €1,000 or above and just take the risk. Also, we do tend not to charge security deposit to guests who book via HA, OD, etc. as, from experience, our problems are with groups coming from agencies, especially the locals.
Bunny

Re: Niggling doubts

Post by Bunny »

amandajane wrote:My problem is how do I insist without getting off on the wrong foot? If I say "pay up or I shall have to cancel" - or words to that effect - then I may as well cancel anyway because the thought of having guests who are disgruntled to begin with makes me nervous.
I hate having to chase guests to comply with the terms of the rental too, but OH would say that it is they who are getting off on the wrong foot. He always says that if they are not bothered about upsetting us as hosts, then why should we pussy foot around them. As you say, who wants disgruntled guests, so if they won't pay you wouldn't want them anyway. I'm in agreement to chase them with a polite but firm message . Good luck.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

+ 1 with everyone else. I charge £300 SD with final balance 8 weeks before arrival or full payment if less than 8 weeks. I won't email our 'arrival pack' with map and instructions to access the front door key or post the pedestrian security gate key until I have all payments and all their details; guest list, address (to post key to) unless full payment is paid in full and cleared.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
joddle

Post by joddle »

I too would be pretty tough on this. I won’t finalise a booking until a security deposit is paid. If it is not forthcoming I reserve the right to book with someone else and cancel their booking. Then I won’t release any keys or maps etc until full payment has been received into my account at least 4 weeks before occupancy. No payment no keys and that’s it. Once the rental payment is received, maps and instruction on the keys is forwarded and the security deposit then becomes a damage waiver and returned after they leave (assuming no damage). In 6 years no one had complained about this arrangement and everyone apart from one paid on or before the due dates – and the one that did not did contact me and explain a problem which I was sympathetic with and the deposit arrived a few days later. If everything is properly explained beforehand there is no excuse.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.