Niggling doubts

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Thank you so much everyone.

I still haven't heard anything from the guest. I wouldn't mind so much if she responded to my emails.

My key is in a key safe. I usually email the guest with all the details of where to find it etc. but I always text the code number the day before. That way if they print off the instructions and then leave them in the local pub, there's no risk of someone else getting the code, and also I then know I have their latest mobile number in case i need to contact them during their stay.

I think I will give her the rest of today and if she hasn't responded I am tempted to cancel. I would have to then ask for her bank details to refund what she has paid and I rather suspect that might prompt immediate payment. Oh dear, I can see it getting very unpleasant.
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Thank you so much everyone.

I still haven't heard anything from the guest. I wouldn't mind so much if she responded to my emails.

My key is in a key safe. I usually email the guest with all the details of where to find it etc. but I always text the code number the day before. That way if they print off the instructions and then leave them in the local pub, there's no risk of someone else getting the code, and also I then know I have their latest mobile number in case i need to contact them during their stay.

I think I will give her the rest of today and if she hasn't responded I am tempted to cancel. I would have to then ask for her bank details to refund what she has paid and I rather suspect that might prompt immediate payment. Oh dear, I can see it getting very unpleasant.
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Update.
My guest, in response to a third email, finally responded today, saying that she would send me a company cheque in the post today.
I declined this for two reasons, which I didn't go into in my reply.

If it bounced I would have great difficulty in pursuing an unknown company who may not even still exist. Secondly I think it unlikely that a company cheque will "focus the mind" of the guests with regard to taking care of the cottage in the same way as a personal cheque would.

The guest responded saying she couldn't understand and a cheque from a company was just as good as her own and I had originally offered to not bank it anyway.

I have now bitten the bullet and cancelled, offering to refund all the money she has paid immediately if she sends her bank details.

I await the fallout.

Edit: further update. Just had a frantic call from my guest. Well, I missed her call to be precise and so had the opportunity to listen to her voicemail before I rang her back. She sounded in quite a panic and quite genuine, if just a little dizzy. Pleas for me not to cancel and that she will transfer the deposit immediately! So I've said that will be fine and we will go ahead.

Interesting how different someone can be when you speak to them as opposed to just the written word.

Hopefully everyone will be happy. I'm certainly feeling much better in every way, more confident about the guest, happier that I haven't ruined a family's half term and of course the money.
Last edited by amandajane on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Probably for the best, so close to arrival, if she is still messing you about now. Why would a family booking want to pay with a company cheque anyway? Probably because they haven't got the funds to pay it, which probably means there are no funds in the business either. I once had a booking where they challenged everything all along the booking process and the lead guest even sent me a text saying "I don't see why you need all the guests' names". I should have cancelled because they turned out to be nightmare rude guests once in occupation too. Let us know the response. I doubt they are going to take it lying down. :cry:
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Agree - very odd. If the company is good for the money then they could do a BACS or CHAPS payment instead. You probably have done the right thing but it hurts to lose a booking :cry:
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

I have to agree with the others -very odd. If you were asking for a deposit of a thousand pounds I could possibly understand it but to not be able to lay your hands on a hundred? That you get back shortly after your stay? It points to a chaotic lifestyle and all that brings.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Bunny wrote:Probably for the best, so close to arrival, if she is still messing you about now. Why would a family booking want to pay with a company cheque anyway? Probably because they haven't got the funds to pay it, which probably means there are no funds in the business either. I once had a booking where they challenged everything all along the booking process and the lead guest even sent me a text saying "I don't see why you need all the guests' names". I should have cancelled because they turned out to be nightmare rude guests once in occupation too. Let us know the response. I doubt they are going to take it lying down. :cry:
Amazing that she managed to lay her hands on the money when push came to shove. Bunny, I ask for all the guest's names too and if they need an explanation I say I am obliged by law to have them (I am pretty sure we do anyway if they are not British) and if there was a fire how could I tell the firemen/police who was missing if the person who knows their names is lost in the fire too.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

[quote="FelicityA]Bunny, I ask for all he guest's names too and if they need an explanation I say I am obliged by law to have them (I am pretty sure we do anyway if they are not British) and if there was a fire how could I tell the firemen/police who was missing if the person who knows their names is lost in the fire too.[/quote]

Guests just don't seem to consider the practicalities like we do. The other day I had an enquiry for 3 families with children wanting to book our 3 bedroom cottage. They said they were quite happy to all share just one bedroom each but wondered if there would be adequate seating in the lounge and kitchen? I can only sleep 8 and that's at the absolute limit of capacity and there were 11 of them! :shock: Goodness knows how they thought they would all get out in a fire. :roll: It seems some are prepared to risk safety over price. Sorry digressing again, Amandajane
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

amandajane wrote:I have now bitten the bullet and cancelled, offering to refund all the money she has paid immediately if she sends her bank details.

I await the fallout.
amandajane wrote:She sounded in quite a panic and quite genuine
amandajane wrote: Hopefully everyone will be happy. I'm certainly feeling much better in every way, more confident about the guest
amandajane I really hope your generous and forgiving nature works better than my gut instinct!!!

IMO and for the benefit of others who may experience guests dragging their heels - a crystal clear structure including booking form and T&C's delivered in good time massively reduces the risk of grey areas or misunderstandings further down the line. Sounds so obvious (because it is) but if owners keep things black and white then there can be NO room for error. You've let this one through the net but even if it ends up as a bed of roses it will only serve you well in future if you learn from the experience so far and put clear steps in place to prevent it happening again.

Just read that back and honestly it's not meant to sound like a lecture! ;o)
Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Just a quick update.

These guests have now left and I have to admit they have been pretty well perfect! Cottage is immaculate and they gave me a full run down on everything when they left, including replacing the spare light bulbs that we leave in the kitchen drawer that they had used. A curtain hold back thingy had come loose out of a wall which wasn't their fault - dodgy plaster - but I received a text telling me and apologising profusely.

So all's well..........................except for my own faith in my instinct!!
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

Gordo wrote:amandajane I really hope your generous and forgiving nature works better than my gut instinct!!!
Ok you win I lose! :oops:

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
tavi

Post by tavi »

good news amanda,

and thanks for bothering to update :)