Guests in Traffic Request Date Change

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
apexblue

Guests in Traffic Request Date Change

Post by apexblue »

Guests due to arrive tonight phoned to say they were stuck in traffic and could they come next week.

Terms clearly states no refund (less changeover and gas/elec/water).

Another disappointed guest coming up I feel.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Orsonthecat

Re: Guests in Traffic Request Date Change

Post by Orsonthecat »

apexblue wrote:Guests due to arrive tonight phoned to say they were stuck in traffic and could they come next week. .
Que?!
So much to learn....so little time!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

1 week is one hell of a traffic jam!!!

Normally I would not any refund other than cleaning etc but it depends on your bookings. If the property is empty next week and is likely to remain empty then does it really make any difference?

I don't know the seasons there but here I have someone coming next week and it's completely out of season. If they phoned up and asked to come 1 week later, it would make zero difference to me and there is almost no chance of another booking for this time of year.
Essar

Post by Essar »

kevsboredagain wrote:1 week is one hell of a traffic jam!!!

Normally I would not any refund other than cleaning etc but it depends on your bookings. If the property is empty next week and is likely to remain empty then does it really make any difference?

I don't know the seasons there but here I have someone coming next week and it's completely out of season. If they phoned up and asked to come 1 week later, it would make zero difference to me and there is almost no chance of another booking for this time of year.
+1 but point out that they are lucky that you are vacant next week, otherwise they'd have lost the lot! But there again, what if you get a booking from someone else next week during the coming week?
Last edited by Essar on Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
CSE

Post by CSE »

Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Marks

Post by Marks »

apexblue wrote:Guests due to arrive tonight phoned to say they were ALLEGEDLY stuck in traffic and could they come next week.
More likely they have messed up their dates/something else came up/problem at home or work etc and are looking to you to bail them out.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Was it for a weekend or a full week?

If it's for a short break the potential loss of another booking is less.

Could you say they can have it, if you don't get another enquiry by a certain day, perhaps Thursday? You could give them that "credit" on any coming week on the basis that it will have to be last minute.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

amandajane wrote: Could you say they can have it, if you don't get another enquiry by a certain day, perhaps Thursday? You could give them that "credit" on any coming week on the basis that it will have to be last minute.
+1
Being stuck in traffic is not a justifiable reason to cancel IMO. It just means they'll arrive later than planned - that's life. In the UK market, I can get enquiries at any notice. I had guests leave on Monday and had a three night gap. Monday lunch time I had a phone call from someone wanting to book those nights. Unfortunately, I had to turn it away because I had taken the opportunity to get the heating system serviced. The service engineer didn't turn up. :twisted: So, always expect the unexpected! I wouldn't agree to postpone dates unless I was sure there was absolutely no risk of loss of income to me. It will be sod's law that the second you agree, you will get another enquiry.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I agree with Marks. Sounds fishy to me!

How does going back home help? What about work/school etc. commitments - can they be moved a week? Etc. Etc.

I would think they could stick with the traffic, arrive a day late (for example) and maybe stay a day on at the end if that suits you.

Traffic, vehicle breakdowns etc. have never worked as an excuse if I'm late for work ............ it's my responsibility to take account of those things in my journey planning. If I'm very late for a medical appointment I lose it - and have to pay for it.
Marks

Post by Marks »

We are now 20 hours on from the stuck in traffic report. Are they still there? Did they turn round to have another attempt next week? Or did they do what normal people do, grit their teeth and sweat it out to arrive a bit later than expected? The suspense is killing me :wink:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

They should stay the night in an hotel/B&B and travel on to you in the morning. What is the distance from where they have been held up to the property? This is ridiculous...
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

No they returned home with baby, toddler and dog.

Not heard but expect we will.

Can't move to another date as cottage is being sold hopefully within 2 weeks and dates they want booked.

Genuine reason me thinks Friday night traffic.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Update?
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Sam V wrote:Update?
Curious to know the outcome Apexblue
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Update was they used Extenuating Circumstances which does not cover a traffic jam!

No refund given.