Online booking confusion

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
claudie

Online booking confusion

Post by claudie »

Hello everybody. I'm Claud and my husband is David and we're nearly finished converting two rooms in our house into a studio flat that we want to use as a holiday rental. I'm having a website made for us and we'll also list it on a holiday lettings website but I've got a mental block when it comes to online booking. If we have a calendar and booking page built into the website, will there be a way of notifiying us that somebody has booked, e.g. an email? We'd like to do it the old way too, by 'phone, but I know that people like to book online. How do you all do it? Also, if we get a booking through another website, how are we notified? I'm sorry to ask daft questions and all answers will be very gratefully received. Thank you all
Ever the optimist, even in the face of experience.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

How you get notified from your own website will entirely depend on what exactly you implement on your website.

Regarding advertising on a listings site, you would normally have some communications with someone making an enquiry and you will receive notification of each interaction. Again, the exact process will depend entirely with which sites you advertise with.

Some people like to phone to make a booking and some don't. I find that most don't but you should always offer that channel of communications as an option.
Essar

Post by Essar »

If you decide to list with HolidayLettings (HL) you will have two options offered:-
Commission listing - You pay a 3%+VAT commission to list and for any booking made through their site. The guest gets charged your tariff plus a booking fee of between 10% and 17% on top. You can hold a conversation with the potential guest through the HL messaging system to acertain their suitability. If you accept the booking, the guest is charged by HL and a reservation is made. You will receive your funds 48-hours after the guest arrives. You will get to see the guest details when the first payment is made and HL have earned their crust.
Subscription listing - You pay an annual subscription to list. You know the guest details when you receive the enquiry abd you can deal with them outside of HL. If you choose to continue to correspond through HL you can also choose to have the guest also pay through HL. You receive the funds 48-hours after this payment. HL will also collect the balance if applicable. They charge an additional 3%+VAT for this payment processing.

There is only 1 (at the moment) instant booking listing site - Booking.com (BC), where the guest books and pays, the reservation being made.

It is up to you to ensure that all calendars are synschronised to avoid double bookings - this can be done using the iCal functionality (another topic also fully discussed on LMH).

All other listing sites (majors) operate in a similar way to HL; either being a subscription or commission basis listing. AirBnb (AB) operate as a commission listing, but they also have an "Instant Book" option (Again discussed fully on LMH).

Welcome to the forum, I suggest to start from January this year and start reading the topics on here - it can a be a bit tetchy, techie and tackie at times but you will find zillions of good advice and information that will help in your new endeavour.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
claudie

Thank you

Post by claudie »

I really appreciate your posts and would like to thank you for your advice. So, consider yourselves thanked very much :D
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hello Claudie.
I like to speak with guests who are booking. Will send you a PM now with some more information.
claudie

Bookings

Post by claudie »

Thank you Zebedee. I think my pms have crossed with this. Thank you for your help.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Is this thread private now?
Essar

Post by Essar »

I don't think Claudie & Zebedee will ever get together, they are just too far apart for a long distance relationship Kev.

Could be wrong - in which case "get a room" :lol:

You could try Tinder! 8) :lol:
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
claudie

Not private

Post by claudie »

I posted this as a new topic by mistake. What I said was no, it's not private, post away. Got it right this time :lol:
claudie

Post by claudie »

Essar wrote:I don't think Claudie & Zebedee will ever get together, they are just too far apart for a long distance relationship Kev.

Could be wrong - in which case "get a room" :lol:

You could try Tinder! 8) :lol:
Teehee. Not on a first date, sir :D