HomeAway SMS Text message

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Essar

HomeAway SMS Text message

Post by Essar »

Please be aware that there is an SMS text being sent to hosts advising that your HA account has been deactivated. To reactivate it you have to follow a link on bit.ly - this leads to a dummy HA login page (paulblog.eu/home). Delete the message and do not follow the link.
HA have been advised and they have put a notice on their help pages.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Just a reminder that this is still doing the rounds

We received a version today from sender "Abriitel"
advising that all HA accounts have been deactivated.

A bit.ly link was provided to reactivate, the text message contained several minor typos, easy to overlook if you are in a hurry.
We don't subscribe directly to Abritel

Could not find mention of this scam on the Homeaway site and the phishing link on HA returned a 404 error
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I've just received this now purporting to be from HomeAway. The text was in perfect Spanish. I am going to attempt to report it in spite of the fact that HA probably could not be less interested :roll: I think quite a lot of advertisers will fall for this.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I've reported it to OD but just got a 20 minute stream of drivel.
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

I've just tried to log on to Holiday Lettings and it came up with: Your account has been suspended both when I tried to log on on our laptop and then again with my kindle fire. No links fortunately but on calling them (after eventually tracking down a number) they said there was nothing wrong.

All fine now, but worrying if it is related in some way.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

The SMS scam seems to be directed at the HomeAway family of sites. If you have not clicked a suspect link there is probably a reasonable explanation for the lockout.