Fed up with OD enquiries!

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
teba18

Fed up with OD enquiries!

Post by teba18 »

I'm getting really fed up with enquiries from OD! We've had quite a few recently (all seem genuine) and in every case I've responded promptly and then absolutely nothing has happened. Not only are they not converting into any bookings but it's so unusual for no-one at all to send a follow up enquiry or a response of any kind. I got so concerned that people mustn't be getting my replies that I sent an enquiry to myself to test the system but it worked like clockwork! I'm truly mystified as to what's going on and have got to the point where every time I get a text telling me we've had an enquiry, I get a sinking feeling of 'Here we go again! Now I've got to waste some more of my time!'
So I started to wonder ...... is this just happening to me?
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Not just you.
Hardly any enquiries, but have had a pickup with a couple in maybe the last 3 weeks - answered straight away to get good response time - both through the dashboard and with a follow up email outside of the system. Then nothing.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

We're with OD via HA and are not having your problems - our booking from enquiry ratio is about 75% and we even got one a couple of evenings ago where Mr Guest phoned us before we got either the SMS or email enquiry. (He booked the same evening and has even paid the whole amount including damage deposit - his holiday is not until next summer!) :shock: :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

It's not just you - we are having a rubbish time with them too. I did some analysis this morning for our different cottages. I put a new one on with them in April and have had 15 enquiries, and not one single booking from them. On the other hand I've had 11 bookings via my own website in that same timeframe.

Sometimes people enquire about unavailable dates, so that's the 'hard to read' calendar that's causing problems.

Others I never hear from. I think perhaps people actually make an enquiry for somewhere else where they have already decided to book, but OD encourages you to tick more properties to fire off more enquiries, probably to places you're not even interested in. The result is a depressingly low conversion rate and lots of wasted time!
Marks

Post by Marks »

I estimate I convert 1 in 10 enquiries. The other 9 rarely respond, which is nothing new. If people aren't going to book they can't be bothered to tell you, fact of life. And this is from all sources not just OD. I'd rather have one email telling me they want to book than 9 telling me they won't.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

Marks my conversion rate is usually between 30% and 50% so OD is very poor for me.
teba18

Post by teba18 »

I've never expected people to tell me they're not going to book with us but it's seemed very odd that we've had so many that we've then heard nothing at all from - even if it's only an additional query - as this is unusual for us as I'd say we've previously converted around 40%. However, I've realised that maybe we're just getting more enquiries than we've had before - certainly true for so far in advance of next summer which most are about.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I've also had a run of enquiries that haven't responded, which I thought odd. Most of course dont but I followed all these up a few days later asking if they received my reply and didn't get a reply again.
I have just received a booking though through my own website and that could only have come via OD. I am now going to ask all future enquirers to confirm receipt of reply and that if I don't receive one I will text them.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
the chefs

Post by the chefs »

Just a thought but are your adverts coming up for renewing soon. Not suggesting OD would do this but I had an an advert with another company and got quite a few enquirers with no bookings. As up to then we had had very few enquirers through that company.
You will never fail till you have stopped trying.
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

The Chefs wrote:Just a thought but are your adverts coming up for renewing soon. Not suggesting OD would do this but I had an an advert with another company and got quite a few enquirers with no bookings. As up to then we had had very few enquirers through that company.
I've got 5 different adverts all coming up for renewal at different times. None of them are performing particularly well at the moment when they have done in the past.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

7 enquiries since the beginning of June.
3 converted (1 of those 3 was a returning guest)

Of the other 4:
1 was from an agency wanting me as a customer
1 knew I was booked & wanted help
1 asked for dates that were already booked.
1 wanted somewhere near London with an open fire ( ! am 60 miles from London with no open fire!)