Just reviewed my guests' feedback for 2015 - a Safe?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
tavi

Just reviewed my guests' feedback for 2015 - a Safe?

Post by tavi »

Just flicked through my feedback forms for this year...I ask for suggestions.

Interestingly - 3 people (out of 37 bookings across 2 apartments) suggested a small safe. Do you have one? Should I get one? What if one of the apartments were burgled - would I get the blame? There is a safe at the resort reception - note to self - must highlight that in property listings.

The oddest comment was someone who hadn't realised she was booking an apartment. She had thought it was a "separate entity". :? ? She still enjoyed though - "cleanest we've ever stayed in", and loved the mini-soaps, cosy throws, wine, wifi, herbs, spices, oils, & cleaning materials.

No-one at all asked for an egg-slicer.

8)
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Friend of mine used a safe in an apartment in Portugal, her husband lost the key and there was no spare! Costly opening / drilling out of safe I think, which they had to pay for. :(
Fleur
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

We have been asked occasionally over the years but have never had one. I don't think it's a deal breaker and for it to be totally 'safe' it would have to be drilled in to the wall.....I have heard many stories of them just being carried out.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

We have one in Spain and it gets used a lot. I know it's used because people forget the code or leave it locked when they leave. It's inside a bedroom cupboard bolted to the wall.

I can testify that it's definitely very difficult to remove after replacing the previous one that was destroyed by leaky batteries. Had to drill and grind out the bolt heads and then replaster.

On the other hand, I don't have one at the property in France and no one has ever mentioned it. I reckon people feel more insecure in Spain.

Personally I never use it.
Marks

Post by Marks »

We've had one for years. Bolted to wardrobe floor and also into the wall. Guests set their own code and I have two override keys. It gets used for passports, boarding cards, iPads etc. Never had a problem with it, I put new batteries in every January as you can guarantee that the battery will fail as guests are about to leave for the airport at daft o'clock in the morning :wink:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

We have one, bolted to the wall inside a cupboard. It's like a hotel one where you set your own numbered code. Most guests use it - and, yes, we do have an override key just in case! :D
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Unfortunately The Algarve has come in for an unfair amount of press coverage of tourists suffering break-ins, so your requests for a safe are not surprising.

FWIW, my response to the bad publicity is to remind people that break-ins in The Algarve is substantially lower than in their home town (and do they have a safe at home ?); its just that there are so few crimes in The Algarve to report, the few break-ins a year tend to get major headlines :shock:

I'd install one if I were you. Try also to get the largest you can afford and place in your property. Large enough, for example to house a tablet computer at least, or a laptop if possible. Yes, its a chunk of change, but it does offer guests that peace of mind.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Essar

Post by Essar »

PW in Polemi wrote:We have one, bolted to the wall inside a cupboard. It's like a hotel one where you set your own numbered code. Most guests use it - and, yes, we do have an override key just in case! :D
+1

I have an override key hidden in the properties so if the guests get taffled up in codes and get locked out I can tell them where it is hidden - if only I could remember where I put them..... 8)
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I thought about putting one in, but having experienced the amount of guests who go out leaving downstairs windows wide open, I fear a safe would make them feel even more untouchable and they might just go out leaving the front door wide open instead! :roll:
tavi

Post by tavi »

Essar wrote:
PW in Polemi wrote:We have one, bolted to the wall inside a cupboard. It's like a hotel one where you set your own numbered code. Most guests use it - and, yes, we do have an override key just in case! :D
+1

I have an override key hidden in the properties so if the guests get taffled up in codes and get locked out I can tell them where it is hidden - if only I could remember where I put them..... 8)
I was just thinking, as I don't live on site (40 mins away) I would have to hide the over-ride key somewhere (maybe a little key-safe and in an emergency I could text the code to the keysafe?).

But the whole scenario is probably just one more nightmare waiting to happen. arrghhh!
pambon

Post by pambon »

I have one cemented into the wall in the walk-in wardrobe. I charge a nominal amount for the key but guests know that should they loose the key they have to pay to have it professionally opened by probably having to cut out the door with a flame whatsitcalled!

In all these years it's only been used about 3 possibly 4 times.
twinhope

Post by twinhope »

We supply a safe and as far as I know most of our guests use it. The guest can put in their own code. I have a back up key hidden in the house just in case the guest forgets the code he entered and our MC also has a back-up key. Ours is bolted to the floor and wall of the master bedroom closet. If you are thinking of getting one, make sure it is large enough for a laptop because most of our guests always ask if the safe is big enough for their laptop.
PortugalGuy

Post by PortugalGuy »

this year one guest asked for that

i dont have any
and i wont be putting a safe in every room
Short stays like 1 2 3 nights doesn't worth that extra investment in a safe
sorry... get a hotel if you need safe's
Algarve Guy Renting houses
aasta

Post by aasta »

One of our 5 guestrooms has a safe...built into the wall behind the armchairs...large enough for a laptop etc...

It was there when we pruchased the property and we had to replace it because old one was rusted. But it is rarely used. Perhaps 2 to 3 times a year, so we are not putting them in our other guestrooms.
aasta
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

We've always had one. Key operated as I didn't want my poor manager being called out to reset codes, etc. We use it ourselves, not sure if guests do, but it's there if preferred.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com