Paypal and section 75

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
roxytoo

Paypal and section 75

Post by roxytoo »

I am getting an increasing number of people who want to pay via paypal with their credit card as they believe they are fully protected. Am I right in saying they are not as they lose their rights under section 75?
Marks

Post by Marks »

Which magazine: http://goo.gl/Jx9zN3

Martin Lewis: http://goo.gl/aU4fhU
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

so which says you are probably covered and Martin lewis says probably not!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

AIUI using CC via Paypal does not retain the Section 75 rights for the purchaser (has it been tested in law?), but Paypal do have their own buyer protection scheme. However, it's worth a look at Nemo's post in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=25047 which raises a point that Paypal's protection seems to apply only if the entire amount is paid in one transaction - not as separate deposit and balance payments.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I had need to use my Section 75 rights and found that I had forfeited them by using Paypal. I had that confirmed by my CC company. At that time I had no rights within Paypal due to their limited timescale. I was seriously unimpressed as the purchase was a large one.

Paypal have improved their protection, but it is still inferior, in my opinion, to section 75 which is UK and designed to give maximum protection to UK consumers. Paypal is a U.S.Company with a completely different agenda.

The thread greenbarn points to, quotes the current protection and only applies to full payments, not deposits and balance payments. I can't remember without looking what the current timescale of buyer protection is either. It used to be 45 days, but I'm assuming it's longer now. Still not good for buyers booking a summer holiday the following year, so people do really need to be better informed.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Thanks. This is an interesting hidden twist I was unaware of.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting