No party rule - fun police?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
brightmike

No party rule - fun police?

Post by brightmike »

Our property is in central Brighton can accommodate up to 12 guests.

I have a clause on the t&c on the website stating no parties in the property and also state this on our ABB on HL listings.

On our first ever booking (way back in May - feels like years ago!). They had a party and left the place in a terrible state.

How do others with a similar type of property manage not having parties?

I have had literally 50+ enquirers for NYE so far and so specifically write back reminding them of the no party rule and to confirm they will not be hosting a party, the vast majority don't come back to me.

I have been thinking of reminding all guests in future at booking stage of our no party rule, but is this over-kill?

Do I sound like the fun police?
Our property website can be found by looking at our profile.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Define party?
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Exactly. 12 people in a house could make a lot of noise and create a lot of mess just having dinner.
brightmike

Post by brightmike »

My definition of party is guests not booked in the property attending the property. I expect guests to have fun, eat drink etc. but only the paying guests to do this.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I do understand your concerns, especially if you have neighbours. I know from many reports and articles that noise is the biggest issue that neighbours have with holiday lets.

I have a clause in my T&Cs saying that they agree not to be a nuisance to my neighbours and on my advert I say this:

ADULT GROUPS please note that the villa is in a quiet village setting, not a resort, so it's UNSUITABLE for parties/loud gathering, or playing loud music.

If I get an enquiry from 8 adults then I mention the party bit, with families I don't need to bother.
So far so good. It's been 3 years now that I haven't had to get up in the middle of the night to tell people to turn the music down.

My definition of a party goes a little further as I include loud music and late noise. So I would not expect any guests to be overly riotous or loud music to be played after midnight (which is helpful as the island has a 'midnight' law where not only the guests, but also the owners, can be fined)
We are a detached house but noise still carries here in summer.

Another way of approaching it is by asking what type of holiday break they're hoping to have first (I do this with hen parties for example) and explaining the noise issue. No one has ever taken offence and most go on to book with a few saying they'll try elsewhere (I advise to go for a remote villa)

If it is only non-paying guests you don't want Brightmike then that is easier to manage...just say that you only accept day guests (as I assume that troublesome parties will mostly be at night)

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

We have exactly this problem with the big hoose. It's just a short drive from Glasgow and there's a heavy demand for weekend party venues.

We love people to enjoy themselves. But we don't want damage or abuse of either the facilities or neighbours (mind you, the neighbours can boogie into the wee hours sometimes).

We do four things to try not to get the party animals:
1. We have a minimum stay of 4 nights for a weekend or 3 nights midweek.
2. We don't take any agency bookings. We used to allow shorter stays and agency bookings and that was a big mistake.
3. We talk to the guests at length, before they go and during their stay.
4. We stress in our response email that it's a place to come to for enjoying the hills and the water.

We get better guests now. They may well have a bit of a knees up but they tend to come for more than to just party.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

No so much Fun Police as Consideration for the Neighbours and your Business Police.

Possibly worth the chapter and verse statement that (with very few exceptions) after 11:00pm any noise must be confined within the property and not intrusive elsewhere. People in the neighbouring properties are entitled to this. If this is ignored the neighbours could complain to the council and your permission for non-domestic use of the property revoked.
brightmike

Post by brightmike »

Our property is a large house in central Brighton and so is going to attract guests looking for a fun weekend. I'm perfectly happy with this, although I appreciate for some owners it would be their version of hell! On the whole it has worked out well.

Our t&c advise not to host a party, only guests booked in can use the property and to not be a nuisance to our neighbours.

My concern is more that some people would want to book it and then host a party, which other people who are not booked in coming along. I don't think this is something that most people want to do since they in fact want to go out and enjoy the Brighton night life.

I think NYE could be an exception which is why I am putting my "no parties" condition in messages to new enquiries and requiring guests to confirm this. It has still not rented for NYE so hopefully I am putting people wanting to host a party off.

We generally try to appeal to the "higher" end of the market by being more expensive! We, unlike many Brighton houses don't cram every room with as many bunk beds as possible so bringing the rate per person down to a low level. As a consequence we tend to get lots of ladies on 40th birthday weekends.
louiseddie

Post by louiseddie »

We're in Brighton too, though much smaller than you. In my initial reply to an enquiry I always add at the end 'I'm sure this wouldn't apply to you but please note we have a strict non-smoking / partying / hen / stag policy'. And elaborate in t's and c's if we get to the booking stage, also stating the security deposit would be forfeited in the event of complaints from neighbours.