PayPal Here - any experience, good or bad?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
visitslovenija

PayPal Here - any experience, good or bad?

Post by visitslovenija »

PayPal Here, with its credit card reader looks, on the face of it, to be a good option for taking credit card payments. No monthly fees, just the reader to buy.

Operating over here in Continental Europe - and with several PayPal accounts, I am finding the whole issue somewhat complicated. PayPal clearly offer different things in different countries and to different account types.

So I'd be interested to know if others are using it successfully, particularly in Euros.

Thanks,
Ralph

PS hope this is not already covered, but for the life of me, I can't seem to perform a search with 'Paypal' and 'here' ANDed together......just doesn't seem to work....
Essar

Post by Essar »

I have it in the UK and have used it several times; although, I have the card reader I have never needed to use it as you can enter the card details through the Smartphone App. The older version of the reader (the one I have) loses its battery charge very quickly, making it next to useless.

PP Here does not accept (as yet) American Express cards.

You also have to be very precise with the guests' post code entry, it must be identical to the guest's card billing address.

It works with the major currencies - USD, GBP & EUR.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
visitslovenija

Post by visitslovenija »

Thanks Essar,

One of my problems with it is that if I use my Slovene registered account, it won't work .. 'not available in your country'

I know the terms state the reader - and the app I presume - must only be used in the country of registration, so am a little nervous of getting one for the UK account and then trying to use it over here. And would it insist on working in Sterling anyway I wonder?

I have used the app on the UK account, but not succeeded in taking a payment - possibly fell foul of the exact postcode issue, so thanks for that tip.

Ralph
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

I'm not sure if this answers your questions but I have a UK-registered Paypal account and I can accept funds in different currencies....I accept Euro, Pounds and US$. So, if you have a Slovenian account I am sure you can add € and receive funds in €.

Each currency shows separately and I use it to either transfer funds to my account or pay for things in different currencies.
Here we go again........
visitslovenija

Post by visitslovenija »

Hi rammy,
Thanks - but I am on a slightly different issue. I know that you can have different currencies in an account, but I am looking specifically at the PayPal Here app. It will not work on the Slovene account at all and the UK account version will not work in € - it always converts everything to £ - which I do not want.

:(
Essar

Post by Essar »

Actually, you can't. PayPal Here only works with the primary currency for the account it's registered to. So, if you have a GBP PP account and you set up PP Here then it will only work in GBP. I have just been right through the App and there's nowhere to change the currency. It also requires that your phones' location is enabled before you can proceed, so, methinks that the clever folks as PP won't let you use the App on a UK account in anywhere but the UK.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
brightmike

Post by brightmike »

I have just ordered iZettle (in the UK) not sure how in works in other countries. Their machine is FREE.
Our property website can be found by looking at our profile.