Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Bucks Berks and Oxon Guardian

Non-internet marketing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Bucks Berks and Oxon Guardian Reply with quote

Had a phone call from this magazine yesterday saying they wanted to feature us on a special they were running about people looking to buy in France and who might be looking for somewhere to rent whilst looking. Normal price for a 1/4 page ad = approx 600 but were doing this for just 99 + VAT and were we interested? Freebie paper newspaper distributed in the 3 counties and also online. I rang a couple of other owners who had been in earlier issues and they said they had nothing back and not even a copy of the magazine. One owner said they had made loads of errors on her ad (muddling photos of 2 properties) and several had phone numbers that were incorrect as I could not get through.

Looking at the ads I suspect they have been trawling OD for properties to call as many mention OD reference numbers.

Has anyone else been approached by them or used them?
greenbarn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been variations on the name but it always sounds plausible and it's invariably been a scam, of the "you pays yer money and we spend it" type.
There's a few previous threads.
Corfudeb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were also approached by them and I was led to believe that it was a 'feature' they were doing rather than just an advert. I supplied photos and also wrote the text myself as I wanted to be sure it was 100% correct. They emailed me a proof to check and approve before publication which I thought was good practice. We did receive a complimentary copy and it was a much thinner publication than I expected. Our piece looked OK and was part of a section of similar adverts. However I have not had a single enquiry as a result.
greenbarn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to an earlier thread. There is one post giving an unequivocal endorsement, the first and last time that poster appeared. That always removes any shred of doubt that it's a scam. Wink
Rosie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greenbarn and CorfuDeb

I think I shall enjoy telling Kerri (yes, it is still her as per the earlier thread) I shall not be advertising with her. I won't mention LMH but I will tell her what previous advertisers have said about her tacky magazine.
Non-internet marketing