Vented Tumble Dryer Condenser Box Kit

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Bunny

Vented Tumble Dryer Condenser Box Kit

Post by Bunny »

Hi
I need to invest in a tumble dryer for the cottage. We have very limited space so it will have to be a compact machine. The washing machine is in a separate building/outhouse next to the cottage. I don't really want to buy a condenser dryer and will have to vent the dryer with a hose placed out of an open window. For when it is too cold to have the window open I was thinking of buying a kit to convert the dryer to a condenser dryer. Just wondered if anyone has ever tried one of these kits and whether they are any good? Thanks
sandyandy

Post by sandyandy »

Hi, I have been using one at home for the past few months. It's fine for finishing off washing that is damp from the line and needs airing. However, I personally find that even after adding ice cubes to the water there is still to much condensation produced from a load straight from the washing machine.
it will all come out in the wash
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Thank you sandyandy; that is what I feared. The outhouse is not heated and I think the condensation would cause mould in the room. So, it seems I will have to stick to a vent out the window. I'm worried that if I buy a condenser dryer, guests won't empty the water reservoir when necessary (you know how they don't read anything or follow instructions). :(
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

They soon learn to empty the reservoir...machine stops when it's full, leaving them with wet washing...
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Is there no way of venting it through an outside wall? We did this in our old kitchen rtather than have the hose through a window.
Bartlett

Post by Bartlett »

You can get some condenser dryers which divert the water to a hose which you can connect to outlet pipe from washing machine. May work for your situation.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Bartlett wrote:You can get some condenser dryers which divert the water to a hose which you can connect to outlet pipe from washing machine. May work for your situation.
Oh, I've not heard of that. I'll do some more research thanks.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

HelenB wrote:Is there no way of venting it through an outside wall? We did this in our old kitchen rtather than have the hose through a window.
It would be on an outside wall but I'm hoping to avoid drilling a hole in the wall. Was really just looking for a quick and simple solution, so that I can install it in an instant.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

It only takes about 2.5 minutes to drill a hole in the wall.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OrtBn1svOE
Turn the volume up and enjoy :wink:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

e-richard wrote:It only takes about 2.5 minutes to drill a hole in the wall.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OrtBn1svOE
Turn the volume up and enjoy :wink:
OOOh but the mess! I really don't want to drill a hole because the location for the dryer is not ideal and we may want to move it in the future. :cry:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

e-richard wrote:It only takes about 2.5 minutes to drill a hole in the wall.
It takes a little bit longer when the wall is about two feet thick, stone and filled with loose stone, in true Victorian stone farmhouse style. DAMHIKT. :roll:
Essar

Post by Essar »

A good core drill that will do the work like on the video are only about £50!
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

Essar wrote:A good core drill that will do the work like on the video are only about £50!
Just what I was thinking. Aldi sell them regularly, buy one, drill your hole then take it back and say it's no good (no.. of course I wouldn't do anything like that!).

If a jobs worth doing then it's worth doing right with or without stone walls. Where there's a will there's a way etc etc.

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Just to update this thread. After a bit of research I discovered a different type of dryer - a heat pump condenser dryer. They are dearer than a vented td but considerably cheaper to run, so I thought I'd try one. There is a water thank that needs to be emptied easily, but the machine can also be plumbed in. So, for anyone with the same problem of nowhere to vent, so far I've been pleased with its performance and it's definitely much cheaper to run, so a good option for guests who will use it daily.

On the downside, I bought it at Christmas and my guests who have just left, have clearly been using it to dry unwashed work coats. Result - full of sand and grit. I've just had to clean it out and wash all the filters in water which are currently drying out in the airing cupboard If I had a same day changeover guests would have had no td to use :evil: I just hope it hasn't damaged the machine in areas that I cannot see or get to. It never occurred to me that I'd have to put a notice on it when I have contractors in saying "do not dry dirty work clothes in this machine"!
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Bit late now but if anyone ever comes across this thread ..

I have an ordinary condenser tumble dryer in an unheated garage in my rental. It works fine and no problems with mould or anything like that despite this being damp chilly North Wales.

Never had anyone try and dry dirty wet work clothes though :shock: