Is it best to have a bath as well as a shower?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
rosebud

Is it best to have a bath as well as a shower?

Post by rosebud »

I am about to have my small bathroom re-done. Currently I have a bath with an overhead shower.

It has been suggested that I should replace the bath with a large shower. My instinct is to keep my present arrangement. What do others think??

Just over half my guests are from the UK. Second biggest group are from Australia.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Its not just nationality. Young kids typically means bath is essential.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Definitely have both. I know I would lose some people if I didn't have a shower and somebody would lose me as a guest if they didn't have a bath and certainly when you have small children, an almost essential.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My biggest dislike of my own apartment is the lack of a bath. I tend to shower most of the time, but the option of a soak after a day skiing would be amazing. I would have both if I could.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Aside from catering for the very young family market, the general attitude goes towards showers.

A shower person will often cut up when confronted with a bath and will not always be that happy with a shower over bath. But a bath person will usually put up with a shower.

A shower over bath does not have a feeling of generous quality that a shower, alone, can afford in the same situation. It is a toss of the coin but if your market does not have a significant number of young families, I would go for a high quality shower and dispense with the bath.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm renovating the 2 bathrooms (we also have 2 shower rooms) and decided I needed at least 1 bath for 2 reasons; kids (we now cater mainly for families) and resale value. I wished we had the leeway to have both bath and seperate shower but just couldn't get it to work.

However if I had a UK rental property, and it had a small bathroom I would consider just putting in a shower if I didn't cater for families. But that's mainly because I hate small bathrooms and therefore I'd rather have a luxurious shower room than a cramped bathroom. I wouldn't think a bath is a deal breaker for most holidaymakers.

Mouse
x
Edit; good points Charles!
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
tavi

Post by tavi »

Clearly it's "new-bathroom-time-of-the-year".

I'm also doing ours in our tiny sleep-two apartment. I don't take children so I'm changing from shower over bath to a spacious, glass-enclosed shower....and hope my regular repeats approve. :? :)
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

Doesn't really matter what we owners think/prefer, two choices are always going to be better than one.

If you have space have both.

You can put a shower over a bath but you can't put a bath under a shower!

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

tavi wrote:Clearly it's "new-bathroom-time-of-the-year".
So true! We close most of November to catch up on maintenance and refurbishment ( and have a break ourselves) and have just had a new larger shower ( with shower walls) and floor installed in our shower room/cloakroom. We have made it all non-slip as I get some quite elderly guests - non-slip surface on the shower tray and some lovely grey Italian stone tiles on the floor. Now home ( from Rome, where we are enjoying our break) in a few days to finish it off ourselves and hoping the electrician has turned up to do the new lights...
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Totally depends on your market - when our kids were pre-schoolers I wouldn't book anywhere without a bath. However, if you attract elderly guests then a walk in shower can be better.

One of our cottages has the shower over the bath and it's quite a step up to get into it. Because of that (and the steep stairs) we say that the cottage isn't suitable for anyone with limited mobility. We have discouraged a few potential bookings - usually a couple bringing an elderly parent on holiday with them.

In the future we might be able to install a shower room downstairs - if that might be an option for you then maybe put the bath in with the shower over for now and look at a separate shower somewhere else later. Then you can take the over-bath shower away, leaving just the bath.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

In our current home, when renovating and considering re-sale in the future, our master ensiute has walk in shower and spa bath, the spare room has a shower and the other two rooms share a very smell bathroom which we fitted with a shower bath, 1500 I think, but has a semi rounded shower end at the tap end making it more spacious to shower in and with a curved shower door. My daughter loves it as she can still occasionally enjoy a bath (all be it filled to the brim!)
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Sam V wrote: other two rooms share a very smell bathroom
Have you thought of putting in an extractor fan?
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

greenbarn wrote:
Sam V wrote: other two rooms share a very smell bathroom
Have you thought of putting in an extractor fan?
:shock: :lol:

Well spotted! Yes! We have extractors!

On a slight tangent, we returned home from Portugal after midnight last month to find our bathroom plagued with cluster flies. :cry:
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Annew

Post by Annew »

FWIW I surveyed guests 7 years ago about this very topic. Out of the 39 british respondents, 34 said a bath was essential.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

But your survey sample was of guests who had already bought into the deal. It did not cover potential guests who chose to go elsewhere.

Its a bit like asking buyers of sports cars if they approve of no or cramped back seats.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting