Is it best to have a bath as well as a shower?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I hate it too Tavi!
tavi

Post by tavi »

I can only speak for me (obv.) - I think I'm going for a slider with flexible hose...only.

My research suggests that drenchers are fab but:

need good water pressure as usually a wider head
need higher temperature as cools quicker (I'm limited by a small-ish immersion tank)
use more water as guest maybe inclined to stay under it longer?

So for my purposes a good quality slider etc is fine.

Edit: oops wrong thread!
SusanMay

Post by SusanMay »

Hello,

We're planning to do up our small bathroom in our holiday cottage and wondering whether we should replace our bath and overhead shower with a walk-in shower, no bath, so I thought I'd have a look to see if this has been discussed before on the forum. Hurrah for this post!

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be very conclusive whether it is a good or bad thing to do in terms of bookings. We get a lot of young families over the summer which makes me think it would be safest to stick with the bath option. But also we get quite a few older couples out of season and maybe we'd get more if some weren't being put off by the thought of climbing into the bath to have a shower, or maybe the ones who do book like the thought of a bath. Difficult to know. Personally when we stay in our cottage we never use the bath there so the shower option suits us, but then again we don't have a small child.

So please, Rosebud, one year (almost) down the line, I'd be grateful if you could reply with whether you've found any differences to the amount of booking you've got, or the type of people (families or couples) that are booking? Or if anyone else has experience of this, great to hear from them too. Thanks
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

IME both families with young children and older people like baths, so I would stick with this if I were you.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Hi Susan

Good question - but not very easy to answer..

I wrote to 10 sets of guests before making my decision : They all said go for a shower. (However having a shower also meant I could add a tumble drier and a dishwasher) Those who have visited since have made very positive comments..

From early Feb this year to end Dec 16- with shower instead of bath:
23 sets of guests: 7 with children. 4 sets - all with children in July; 4 week booking from adults in Aug-Sept was made before shower went in.

I had a set of guests with a baby at Easter. They didn't realise there was no bath. They ordered an inflatable bath & took it with them!

From early Feb 2015 to early Jan 16 - while I had the bath with overhead shower:
30 sets of guests: 7 with children
In summer 2015 I had a 13 week let to a couple - with no children - so I might have had more without that let.

However when I look further back I definitely had fewer children. Although in Jan - Feb 14 I only had adults with children!

i also have quite a few older couples staying - but often I don't know guests' ages.

Another factor for me is that the number of people using both my bedrooms has been steadily increasing - which should in itself mean I accommodate more families - although sometimes adult relatives or friends use both rooms

Anyway I am pleased with my decision - the bathroom looks much more attractive & I was able to add the tumble drier and dishwasher..
SusanMay

Post by SusanMay »

Thanks very much for your answer Rosebud, and taking the time to analyse your bookings over the two years. As you say not that easy to gauge from the figures but I suppose maybe it was never going to be as we can't really say what would have happened to your bookings this year if you hadn't changed. Interesting that the people you contacted were all happy for a shower, as they had been people who had previously booked with the bath so it didn't put these people off. But maybe they were swayed by the tumble dryer!

Best of all you're happy with it. I'm now wondering if we could fit a washing machine and tumble drier into the extra space the lack of bath would free up :D
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Hi Susan

Definitely worth looking into that..

Jenny